Seychelle Inline Filter Test

  • Gerry Gladu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2000
      Seychelle Inline Water Filter Test

      Gravity Feed Filter Configuration:

      MSR DromeLite 4 liter water bag with the small opening modified
      with the screw-on nozzle from a MSR hydration kit. 30" of 1/4"
      surgical tubing was attached between the nozzle and the filter's
      input.

      Two output lines were tested. The first was 5" of 1/4" surgical tubing
      attached to the output. A small plastic brewer's bottling clamp was
      used to control the flow. The second was 8" of 1/4" surgical tubing
      with no clamp.

      Hydration System Filter Configuration:

      MSR DromeLite 4 liter water bag with the small opening modified
      with the screw-on nozzle from the MSR hydration kit. 8" of 1/4"
      surgical tubing was attached between the nozzle and the filter's
      input and 30" of 1/4" surgical tubing attached to the output and
      fixed with a brewer's bottling clamp.

      Weight of bag, tubing, clamp and filter ~7.5 oz as tested.
      In both configurations, there was no leakage at any of the
      connections points.
      ---

      Test 1 - Assembly

      I purposely assembled the unit without reading the instructions to
      check the intuitiveness of the design. I found that the unit assembly
      was pretty straight forward with only one possible way to assemble
      the unit.

      This was a good thing, because after reading the instructions, I
      found that it lacked assembly instructions but it did include
      instructions on how to change the filter. I assumed that meant that
      the production units would probably come pre-assembled.
      ---

      Test 2 - Gravity Feed Home Test

      I ran several gallons through the unit with an average throughput of
      70 seconds per liter. This is comparable to, if not faster than, most
      pump filters that I've used. The unit did not need any priming to get
      started and the throughput remained more or less constant while
      emptying the entire 4 liter DromeLite bag. Also, the unit had enough
      suction to empty all of the water out of the bag even though the bag
      opening was 4" above the lowest level of the water in the bag.

      I find all of the above to be exceptional performance. However, one
      of the reasons I chose to use the DromeLite was so that any sediment
      would settle below the opening and decrease the potential for
      clogging. In any case, stopping the filtering process before it gets
      down to the flotsam would resolve that issue.

      I compared this to the Safe Water Anywhere inline filter with the
      same configuration and found it to exceed the SWA's performance
      in every category except that it weighs slightly more and it is a
      little larger.

      By comparison, the SWA filter needs priming to get it started and
      does not have the relatively constant throughput that the Seychelle
      has. Throughput with the SWA decreases significantly as the water
      level decreases and the SWA does not have enough suction to empty the
      bag when the water level gets down to the bag's opening.
      ---

      Test 3 - Hydration System Home Test.

      I do not normally use a hydration system, but one of the reasons I
      chose the DromLite bag for the reservoir was because I could use it
      as a hydration unit if I wanted to and I could at least use it as a
      backup water system if my primary system failed. Also, I only carry
      one water bottle and it serves as a container for up to 4 liters of
      water.

      That said, I did minimal testing with this configuration primarily
      because I didn't feel like drinking several gallons of water in
      the interest of science.

      I did, however, test that the configuration did not leak and that
      it supplied water at an acceptable rate; if not at a rate better
      than I expected. I do not use a bite valve, as I find the brewer's
      clamp easier to manipulate.

      By comparison, the Seychelle is easier to draw from than the SWA.
      ---

      Test 4 - Gravity Feed Field Test

      Where: Broad Brook, 5 Corners, VT

      I was up in Vermont this past weekend and decided to run 40 liters
      of fairly silty water through the unit. I did not experience a
      noticable decrease in flow rate throughout the test despite a
      significant buildup of silt on the filtering element. At home, I was
      able to backflush the silt off with the provided backflush
      attachment. I did not try to field clean the unit primarily because
      it wasn't necessary.

      I tested 2 output line variations. The first was 5" of 1/4" surgical
      tubing with a home brewer's bottling clamp attached to it. The clamp
      works very well at stopping and starting the flow with minimal effort
      but when fully open it restricts the flow somewhat with a throughput
      of about 90 seconds per liter.

      The second was simply 8" of 1/4" surgical tubing. The throughput was
      about 70 seconds per liter. If I needed to stop the flow temporarily,
      I just squeezed the tubing. When I needed to stop the flow for longer
      periods of time, I tied an overhand knot in it.

      Of the 2 methods, I prefer the brewers clamp since I can live with the
      slower flow rate. If I need it to flow faster, I can simply slide the
      clamp off of the end. I always carry the clamp in the event that I
      need to use it as a hydration unit.

      As an aside, Broad Brook is not only very silty but the silt contains
      gold. A handful of silt taken from pretty much anywhere yields quite
      a few flakes of gold so it's a pretty interesting place to run a
      test. I found lots of pebbles peppered with gold, but unfortunately,
      I did not locate any nuggets.
      ---

      I found this product to work well beyond my expectations particularly
      in the areas of functionality, throughput, weight and ease of use and
      assembly. The only drawback is that the case and threads are plastic
      and therefore susceptable to breaking or cracking if dropped or
      mishandled. But that, of course, goes with the territory and as with
      any filter, I always carry a chemical backup that can also be used
      for purification purposes as well as to disinfect/purify/clean the
      filter unit itself.

      I plan to carry this unit in my pack except for winter usage and I
      will report anything of interest that I encounter during field use
      back to this group.
      ---

      Disclaimer:

      I'm just some guy who's spent most of his life using, abusing and
      messing with gear. That doesn't mean I know squat about anything.
      Although this is the way in which I choose to use this gear and it
      works well for me, that doesn't mean that I recommend it to anyone
      else. You need to be your own judge of that. Stick with what works
      for you.