Enertia Trail Foods

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2002
      I hope you're all hungry. Jerry has succeeded in arranging a number of
      tests involving trail food. The first is with Enertia Trail Foods.

      http://www.trailfoods.com

      Each tester will select any five single meals. A variety is expected.
      Give me an idea of what you might be interested in.

      Note that these tests will be run differently from our normal system.
      Due to the nature of the tests, we will ask out testers to submit a
      single field test review rather than our standard series of three test
      reports over a six month period.

      Instead, we will expect our testers to provide detailed coverage
      of trail preparation of all of the meals, covering such issues as ease
      of preparation, serving size, taste and other factors in the single
      report. For those adequately in tune with their bodies, we would also
      like to encourage you to be aware of your energy level and other factors
      after consumption. Current plans call for the process to be completed
      two months after receiving the meals.

      Ron

      must preside at our assemblies.
      William O. Douglas

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2002
        Going to scan this site and get my app in.
        New trail food is a great idea for a test.
        TV

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2002
          Hi Ron,

          I am applying to test the Enertia Trailfoods. I have
          (just) re-read the BGT Survival Guide, v. 0802. I am
          willing and able to fulfill all of the requirements
          for reporting, as well as giving the product a
          reasonable (or even unreasonable) field test.

          I would like to test the following products from
          Enertia Trailfoods:

          El Capitan 3 Bean Chili
          Max Patch Mac and Cheese
          Parker Pass Potatoes
          Mountain Morning Oatmeal
          Sierra Scramble

          Test Plan:

          I would test the Enertia products by preparing them
          during hiking and camping trips within the test time
          period. Here in the southeastern United States we are
          just entering the real hiking season. Temperatures
          drop out of the nineties and the nights aren't
          freezing yet. I will probably be hiking in the
          sourthern Appalachian mountains. Conditions should be
          relatively warm for the next few months and probably
          fairly dry as we are in our fourth year of drought.

          While hiking I have to eat frequently and well or my
          blood sugar gets low and I stop having fun. I will
          evaluate the Enertia products by monitoring the amount
          of energy I get from each meal and how long it lasts.

          I do my cooking on an MSR Whisperlight stove. I
          usually try to plan only single burner meals when on
          the trail. I usually only cook for breakfast and
          dinner and eat a cold lunch.

          I have written the test reports at the following URLs:

          Moonbow Gearskin
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Packs%20&%20Day%20Packs/Moonbow%20Gearskin/John%20Burnet/

          Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-Sym Hammock
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%20Explorer%20Ultralite%20A-Sym/John%20Burnet/

          I have written the owner reviews at the following
          URLs:

          Hennessy Expedition Hammock
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%20Expedition%20Hammock/Hennessy%20Expedition%20review.html

          General Ecology Microlite Water Filter
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Water%20Treatment/Microlite%20Portable%20Water%20Purif/microlite%20owner%20review.html

          Biographical Information

          Name: John Burnet
          Age: 38
          Gender: Male
          Height: 5 feet 10 inches/1.8 Meters
          Weight: 185 lb./83.9 Kilograms
          Email: gatemansnametag(at)yahoo(dot)com
          Location: Marietta, GA
          Date: 09/07/2002

          Backpacking Background

          I grew up camping, hunting, and fishing with my
          family. I started backpacking at 13. In the 25 years
          since, I have hiked, camped, canoed, rafted, and
          kayaked the mountains, rivers, seacoasts, and forests
          of the Southeastern United States, with occasional
          forays into other parts of the country. I have hiked
          with friends, with strangers, and alone. I have also
          been an outdoor leader for several outdoor
          organizations.

          I have used a wide variety of gear under a wide
          variety of conditions. Although I'm not fanatically
          ultra-light, I like to keep the weight of the
          necessities as low as possible--so I can carry extra
          toys. I'm a catalog junkie. I love gear and gadgets
          and am intrigued by the function that can be extracted
          from even the cheapest, most utilitarian item. I take
          good care of my gear (more Felix than Oscar on the
          trail) and find that it, in turn, takes good care of
          me.

          Thanks for considering my application,

          John

          =====
          "What are the three most essential backpacking items?"

          "Toys, water, and food. Without water and food, you'll die. If you don't bring toys, all you'll have to play with is rocks and sticks."

          -- A. M. Frick

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • londonbackpacker
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
            Please find my final report for Enertia Trail Foods.
            ______________________________________

            Enertia Trail Foods Report

            Name: George Griffin
            Age: 40
            Gender: Male
            Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
            Weight 205 lbs. (93 kgs)
            Email: ggriff(at)talk21(dot)com
            City: London, U.K
            Date: 3 December 2002

            Backpacking Background

            I have been backpacking since 1986. Mainly in the Peak District, Lake District, Wales and Southern England. I am also the London liaison member for the Backpackers Club. In the early days I backpacked solo but in recent years I have backpacked with two friends. Most of my trips are from September through to May, I normally get four 4+ day trips in that time, plus the occasional weekend.

            Terrain and elevation on these trips can be anything from coastal paths to mountains, sea level to 3,000-ft (914 m). Temperatures range from
            -5 c to 23 c (23 f to 75 f).

            Product Information

            Manufacturer: Enertia Trail Foods

            MSRP: $3.25 Each

            Website: www.trailfoods.com/

            Food Chosen

            Blue Mountain Bear Mush
            Breakfast Maple Bulgar
            Cherokee Cinnamon Rice
            Shenandoah Soup
            Switchback Spaghetti

            Delivery

            The Food was delivered in a plain brown box (10 in x 5 3/4 in x 3 3/4 in (26 cm x 15 cm x 9 cm)) via US Postal services. Inside the box were the five meals ordered, an invoice, a catalogue and a business card.

            Each meal was in an 8 1/2 in x 6 in x 2 in (22 cm x 15 cm x 5 cm) packet.

            The catalogue is an A5 twenty page booklet, this contains all the dehydrated meals that they do, plus it shows all the ingredients used in each meal, which is helpful in case there are certain ingredients people can`t eat.

            The business card, this is a way for the user to spread the word about Enertia Trail Foods under their "Be Our Voice" scheme. The scheme works by asking a retailer to stock Enertia Trail Foods and when they sign-up the customer will receive a "sampler case" free.

            Packaging

            The food is contained inside a resealable bag then inside a vacuum-sealed tougher plastic pouch (this is the pouch used for cooking in the bag). This bag has a resealable top and is vacuum-sealed which needs to be cut or torn to open.

            The main resealable pouch has measurements on the side for adding the water to make sure the mix is correct plus the bag will stand up on it`s own.

            There is also a vanilla card with the cooking instructions and the list of ingredients in the pouch.

            The Meals

            I have found in the past that adding water to a pouch and mixing can leave some of the ingredients not mixing properly and then having a big lump of powder in the meal, so all the meals except one was cooked on a MSR Pocket Rocket stove and a 750ml (25oz) pot. The one meal not cooked on the Pocket Rocket was cooked in the pouch.

            I`m not sure if the weight given by Enertia is the weight including packaging, so my weights are for the meal and packaging.

            All these meals have a high calorie count.

            Breakfast Maple Buglar

            Listed Weight: 4.75 oz (112 g)
            Measure Weight: 4.5 oz (134 g)

            Breakfast maple bulgar with maple granules and blueberries. This was the first meal I tried. The meal contained one bag with the meal in and a sachet of raw cane sugar. Quick and easy to prepare, it stated that 12 oz (354 ml) of water was needed but I found that this made the meal too watery maybe 10 oz (295 ml) would have been better. The water was measured in the pouch so it was the correct amount.

            This meal had maple granules and blueberries in it, but I found it very bland. I tried adding the raw cane sugar to liven it up; this gave it a bit more taste but not much.

            There was too much buglur wheat and not enough blueberries for my liking, that said I found this meal to be a massive serving for one, I could manage to eat about half of it. I suppose you could halve the contents and make two meals from it.

            There was no problem rehydrating the meal, it came back well.

            Calories 480

            Switchback Spaghetti

            Listed Weight: 4.25 oz (120 g)
            Measured Weight 5.5 oz (155 g)

            Sun-dried tomatoes, veggies and Italian spices. A quick and easy meal, this meal was in two parts the spaghetti and dried tomatoes in one bag and the sauce in another plus seasoning of salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. To cook, the spaghetti and tomatoes were added to 16 oz (473 ml) of water brought to the boil, the sauce added then set aside for 7-10 minutes to cook though. I thought that setting the meal aside for the 7-10 minutes it would start to get cold but I found that not to be the case, I still had to wait for the meal to cool before eating it.

            This meal was quite spicy. Another big serving, which I managed to eat about 3/4 of. There was plenty of texture in the meal; there was more than enough spaghetti and plenty of the tomatoes. I didn`t need to use any of the seasoning as it was O.K without any extra.

            Calories 400

            Cherokee Cinnamon Rice

            Listed Weight: 4 oz (122 g)
            Measured Weight: 5 oz (141 g)

            I really liked this one!

            With natural sweetened pineapple and papaya. As with all the meals, quick and easy to cook and a great taste. This one was slightly different in cooking, as you had to let the ingredients stand in the water for 7-10 minutes before starting to cook. Nice and sweet. The rice cooked back nice and soft, the pineapple, papaya and raisins were plentiful.

            The only thing was that the serving seemed smaller than all the others.

            This meal would be good for breakfast or as a pudding.

            Calories 420

            Shenandoah Soup

            Listed Weight: 4 oz (112 g)
            Measured Weight: 5 oz (141 g)

            Black beans, Wild rice and Veggies. Two bags for this meal, one containing the black beans and wild rice the other containing the soup mixture. More of a thick broth than a soup, a tasty meal. As with all the meals very easy to prepare, the black beans and wild rice came back quickly. I did have a couple of lumps in the meal after adding the soup mixture and I needed to add some water to break them down.

            This was another big serving; I managed to eat about 3/4 of this one. Enertia have designed their meals so that other ingredients like tuna, chicken or dried beef can be added. This was the only meal out of the one`s tested, that I felt needed something extra, I think some instant mash would have helped. Saying that, this was another big serving and as with some of the other meals you could probably get two servings.

            Calories 420

            Test Information

            The four meals above were eaten on a 3-day backpacking trip to Dartmoor. Dartmoor is one of the last wildernesses in the U.K.; the terrain is open moorland with well-defined paths and large areas of off-track walking. The weather for the 3-days were rain, rain and more rain it was a really wet trip in November although it rained, the temperatures were in the range of 8 c-10 c (46 f-50 f).

            Blue Mountain Bear Mush

            Couscous, wild blueberries, raisins and blue poppy seeds. Cooked in the pouch. This one was a bit awkward to cook, first I had to measure the 12 oz of water in the bag then transfer it to a pot and then put the dry meal into the pouch. When the water was boiled I transferred this back into the pouch; it made the plastic soft but the pouch still stayed upright.

            The meal has to be left for 7-10 minutes, after this time you squeeze the pouch to mix the mixture, the only problem with this is that the pouch is quite hot and you need something to cover the pouch so you can handle it.

            It then has to be set-aside for a further 7-10 minutes. At this point I had about 1" (2.5 cm) of water sitting on top of the meal, so I decided to stir it up. Even after the allotted time there was still water floating in the pouch, the couscous had soaked up all it could. I drained off the excess water; even then the meal was quite watery.

            There were plenty of blueberries and raisins in the meal but it as quite bland, the sugar sachet helped a bit to sweeten the meal. This meal was very similar to the Breakfast maple buglar.

            Cooking and eating in the pouch was a bit fiddly and personal; I would use a stove and pot to cook with.

            Calories 580

            Test Information

            The above meal was eaten on a one-nighter on the South Downs. The South Downs are a series of chalk downs crossing Southern England West/East with plenty of well-defined footpaths passing through farmland and pastures.

            This meal was eaten as a pudding.

            Overall

            I found these meals to be pretty good for size, the weight is a little heavier that I normally carried compared to a home-made dehydrated meal but then my food doesn`t have such a high calorie count as Enertia Trail Foods.

            The meals are filling and larger. All can be eaten "as is" but some could do with some extra ingredients added by the user.

            The packaging is small enough to be able to carry several meals on a long hike. The measurements on the size of each pouch a great idea and with the pouch`s versatility, you can use it as a bowl and measured cup and a rubbish bag. The directions for cooking are simple, actual cooking times are kept to a minimum.

            Would I buy these meals again? Yes, they are good individual meals with a good range of products to choose from. They are reasonably priced; the only problem would be the cost of international shipping.

            A big thank you to Enertia Trail Foods and BGT for allowing me to take part in this test.

          • Graham Blamey
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "londonbackpacker" <ggriff@t...> wrote:
              > Please find my final report for Enertia Trail Foods.

              Sounds like good tuck George, at least it sounds better than any of
              the stuff we have commercially available here in the UK. I've never
              found any of it very palatable and we decided not to bother with it
              long ago.
              Only typo I could see was this a couple of times :-)

              > Breakfast Maple Buglar

              Cheers, Graham
            • George Griffin
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Graham Blamey" <gg@h...> wrote:
                > --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "londonbackpacker" <ggriff@t...>
                wrote:
                > > Please find my final report for Enertia Trail Foods.
                > >

                > Sounds like good tuck George, at least it sounds better than any of
                > the stuff we have commercially available here in the UK. I've never
                > found any of it very palatable and we decided not to bother with it
                > long ago.
                > Only typo I could see was this a couple of times :-)
                >
                > > Breakfast Maple Buglar
                >
                > Cheers, Graham

                Most definitely better than anything over here. I tried "raven" meals
                when I first started backpacking, and like you I gave up on them.

                I have a food dehydrator which I use for most of my trips. Getting
                good
                ingredients help to make good meals and M&S do some good ready meals
                that work well.

                Thanks for the typo spot, I kept doing that !!
              • Alex Tweedly
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2002
                  Thanks for the report. Graham already pointed out the letter transposition
                  that happens in a few places, so I only have a couple of nits to pick ...

                  >Breakfast Maple Buglar
                  >
                  >Listed Weight: 4.75 oz (112 g)
                  >Measure Weight: 4.5 oz (134 g)

                  That can't be right - the measured weight is fewer oz, but more gm ?
                  Conversions are 4.75 oz --> 135 gm, while 4.5 oz --> 128 gm

                  >Breakfast maple bulgar with maple granules and blueberries. This was the
                  >first meal I tried. The meal contained one bag with the meal in and a
                  >sachet of raw cane sugar. Quick and easy to prepare, it stated that 12 oz
                  >(354 ml) of water was needed but I found that this made the meal too
                  >watery maybe 10 oz (295 ml) would have been better. The water was measured
                  >in the pouch so it was the correct amount.
                  >
                  >This meal had maple granules and blueberries in it, but I found it very
                  >bland. I tried adding the raw cane sugar to liven it up; this gave it a
                  >bit more taste but not much.
                  >
                  >There was too much buglur wheat and not enough blueberries for my liking,
                  >that said I found this

                  buglur -> bulgar

                  >Sun-dried tomatoes, veggies and Italian spices. A quick and easy meal,
                  >this meal was in two parts the spaghetti and dried tomatoes in one bag and
                  >the sauce in another plus seasoning of salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.

                  either word(s) or punctuation missing between "... two parts" and "the
                  spaghetti" ?

                  >Listed Weight: 4 oz (122 g)
                  >Measured Weight: 5 oz (141 g)

                  4oz --> 112 or 113 g

                  >This was another big serving; I managed to eat about 3/4 of this one.
                  >Enertia have designed their meals so that other ingredients like tuna,
                  >chicken or dried beef can be added. This was the only meal out of the
                  >one`s tested, that I felt needed something extra, I think some instant
                  >mash would have helped. Saying that, this was another big serving and as
                  >with some of the other meals you could probably get two servings.

                  no apostrophe needed in the one`s tested

                  >There were plenty of blueberries and raisins in the meal but it as quite
                  >bland, the sugar sachet helped a bit to sweeten the meal. This meal was
                  >very similar to the Breakfast maple buglar.

                  " ...but it [W]as quite bland" ?

                  >Cooking and eating in the pouch was a bit fiddly and personal; I would use
                  >a stove and pot to cook with.

                  "and personal; I would" ?
                  maybe "and personally I would" ?

                  >The packaging is small enough to be able to carry several meals on a long
                  >hike. The measurements on the size of each pouch a great idea and with
                  >the pouch`s versatility, you can

                  "each pouch [are] a great idea" ?

                  -- Alex.
                • Graham Blamey
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2002
                    --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Alex Tweedly <alex@t...> wrote:

                    > >hike. The measurements on the size of each pouch a great idea and
                    with
                    > >the pouch`s versatility, you can
                    >
                    > "each pouch [are] a great idea" ?
                    >
                    > -- Alex.

                    Just wondered if 'size' there should be 'side' ?