Re: [backpackgeartest] Seychelles test report

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25 3:09 PM
      From: David_Troeger@...
      To: backpackgeartest@egroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 1:14 PM
      Subject: [backpackgeartest] Seychelles test report

      My only other pre-test observations were that my filter
      also screwed in at a slight angle and there was a slight greasy substance on
      the filter's casing.

      I agree that, like all plastic threads, that you have to be careful screwing the filter in. Guess I just did it unconciously.

      I would be in total awe of
      this performance if I could guarantee that the filter wasn't leaking around
      the 0-ring and was truly filtering down to 2 microns.

      I carefully dried the well around the filter on the inside where the element screwed in. I then used the back flush tool to apply water pressure to the output nipple. As the filter was upside down up again the fauset, all I had to do was turn the water off, wrap a paper towel around the filter element and turn it right side up. If there is water in the well around the element, the O ring leaks. I have two different Seychelle filters. Repeated running of this test reveals it doesn't leak. I suspect it wouldn't leak at the pressures we use it at even without the O ring. As far as actually filtering down to 2 microns as the manufacturer claims I guess, just like my Katadyn, Pur, Sweetwater, and Safe Water Anywhere filters, I'm just going to have to take their word for it.

      Other than the dye
      test which, according to other listers, doesn't seem to work on this filter,
      or buying a microscope to test filtered samples, I'm not sure how to
      eliminate the doubt.

      Actually, I couldn't get this test to work with any filter I own. I'm really looking forward to BigSkyRys evaluation of this filter. That is the only way I know we can find out how well this filter filters from someone other than the manufacturer.

      Tall Texan