Lawson Hammock- Receipt, First Impressions, and Inital Setup.

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hello,My Lawson Hammock arrived today via UPS ground(yah!). The hammock was wrapped in plastic inside its slightly oversized stuff sack. Upon removal, a single sheet of paper was found containing care and setup instructions. The total hammock contents include the rainfly, 2 small, loosely shockcorded poles, stuff sacks for hammock and poles,and of course the main body.Initial setup was on the hammock stand in my backyard. For those of you familiar with the Hennessy, this product has more of the traditional hammock components. the spreader bars are aluminum and fold in half, spacing the nylon cord that terminates at a metal ring. The directions indicate looping the rope around your tree, stand, etc. and tying it off again back at the ring. This is a good idea, as the empty hammock was being blown over by 3-4mph winds with only one tie off. Addition of the 2 hoop poles completed initial setup. Total time, 4 minutes.The hammock itself is very comfortable and roomy inside. You need to be careful getting in, but no more so than a standard hammock. I had no trouble zipping the door once in, although a second zipper pull would be nice, so you don't have to reach down to get it. The zipper seem a little light, I'm curious as to how it will stand up to extended use. There are two small mesh pockets along the inside of the hammock, enough to hold pocket contents and a pair of glasses. Overall, the Lawson feels very roomy without the rainfly.The rainfly has 8 attachment cords, 6 on the fly, 2 on the hammock. It also attaches to the bottom of the hammock via 4 Velcro tabs. The fly hangs loose until you enter the hammock, then tightens up slightly. It continued to lay on the netting even with me inside, and requires some significant adjusting to fix. best to do this at home with a friend. Obviously the temperature inside went up with the fly on, although ventilation from top to bottom was good.Lastly, I attempted to set it on the ground as a bivy sack. I do some sea kayak camping, and sometimes there are no trees to use. Sadly, it's a very claustrophobic feel. At 6', I'd have to sleep in the fetal position to even fit inside. On this point, I'll email Lawson to see if they have any suggestions.That's all for now. Next installment(hopefully), Anclote Key.Thanks -Rob

      Do You Yahoo!?