Re: [BackpackGearTest] Aqua Mira Review

  • Ryan Jordan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hi George, you have a good approach to backcountry water treatment.

      > I drink from the tube right away, confident that the
      > chlorine dioxide will have already killed the smallest and most vulnerable
      > bugs (the ones that might get through the filters)

      You are making the assumption that small = most vulnerable, which is not
      necessarily true. Often it's the reverse. Still, the chance of a germ
      surviving your system even immediately after introducing aqua mira has to be
      pretty low.

      > the Siltstopper will
      > block any biofilm coated particles bigger than 5 microns, and the
      Safewater
      > will get the rest. As the still active chlorine dioxide solution will be
      > drawn through the Siltstopper and into the Safewater, the trapped bugs
      sould
      > get a toxic bath over a period of time sufficient to do them in.

      For sure, and your filters will perform better and for a longer time between
      cleanings.

      > I have
      > noticed a reduction in the slight but characterisitc taste of the Aqua
      Mira
      > through this rig, so I'm assuming that the Safewater carbon block traps at
      > least some of the chlorine dioxide, which I hope reduces any potential
      > health hazard.

      Yep, I agree.