Re: Help!!!

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
      After losing/breaking several thousand dollars worth of I've decided my
      perfect sunglasses are the 8 dollar ones in the fishing section at Wally
      Wurld. They seem to have that anti-break magic that only really cheap stuff
      has.

      If you care anything about style, I highly recommend against getting
      these:-)

      Dave

      redbike64 writes:
      > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
      > want to keep them forever.
      >
      > --Rick
    • SGT Rock
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
        I agree. I have an 8 year old pair of $8 sunglasses but my Raybands
        didn't make it one year.

        Ernest Engman
        AKA SGT Rock
        sgtrock@...
        http://hikinghq.net

        redbike64 writes:
        > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
        > want to keep them forever.
        >
        > --Rick

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Rami
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
          Unfortunately, I also have to agree....

          I've gone through 3 pair of gargoyles (@ $125.00+ each), a pair of Bolle mountain glasses (@ $100.00+), and two pair of Killer Loops (@ $125.00+ each). All scratched, broken and useless regardless of what things I've done to protect them. I can't, however, destroy the el-cheapo's I got 5 years ago for anything. I've thrown them, sat on them, stepped on them, and they are still just like the day I bought them.

          I don't know the policies of the company where you bought your glasses, but perhaps you will get lucky and they'll cut you a deal??

          Jerry, anyone at the OR show deal in good sunglasses?

          -r

          redbike64 writes:
          > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
          > want to keep them forever.
          >
          > --Rick

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Chief Moderator
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
            I got 4 or 6 of the disposable sunglass slide ins from optometry at the
            VA hospital. They weigh almost nothing, fit better than anything else
            I've tried and have no annoying clips or anything to intrude into my
            vision. And the best part was...they are free. I just love it when free
            things work better than anything I've bought.
            Jerry

            redbike64 writes:
            > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
            > want to keep them forever.
            >
            > --Rick

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            066005:HM/A=1182696/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039
            -333>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • europa1057
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
              Thanks all.

              Isn't it frustrating with sunglasses? The expensive ones are always
              the victim of freak accidents while the cheapo ones from airport XYZ
              or Gas station Q last ten years.

              I'm still trying to decide what to do with them. I got them at REI
              when I was an employee, maybe I can work out something with my
              buddies in Customer Service. =)

              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Chief Moderator" <ChiefModerator@B...>
              wrote:
              > I got 4 or 6 of the disposable sunglass slide ins from optometry at
              the
              > VA hospital. They weigh almost nothing, fit better than anything
              else
              > I've tried and have no annoying clips or anything to intrude into my
              > vision. And the best part was...they are free. I just love it when
              free
              > things work better than anything I've bought.
              > Jerry

              comprehensive
              > interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

            • redbike64
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                Yes indeedy, Campmor usually has great sunglass deals. I've been
                using a pair of Serengetti, uh, Alpine or Sunmmit or somesuch for
                three seasons now w/o a scratch or crunch. Got them from Campmor for
                less than half retail.

                The gradient photochromatic wraparound lenses really protect well
                against sun and wind, which to me makes a huge difference in eye
                fatigue. I keep a "Chums" strap on them which helps with the "oops"
                factor. If it makes me look like a librarian, so be it :-)

                --Rick

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@p...> wrote:
                > I always buy discounted Serengetis at Campmor.
                > I find a good 30 to 40 dollar pair last me about 3 years before I
                pull the
                > inevitable "sit on them" trick in the car
                >
                > TV

              • Jack Corrigan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                  I second, or maybe it's third by now, Campmor sunglass deals. I'm still using a pair of bolle glacier glasses that were purchased 15 years ago while I was stationed in New York. They are not pristine but they have been the best for glare to date.

                  TEAM JackQuest
                  Jack, Cyber & Drager
                  www.jackquest.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                    I have some glacier glasses I bought from REI about 20 years ago. They
                    have perfectly flat, perfectly round lenses, a leather wrap on the nose
                    guard, and leather side shields. They are pretty cool if I do say so
                    myself. I haven't used them much since I started needing eye-glasses a few
                    years ago, but I did use them in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I had
                    stinging eyes from sunscreen, and the glacier glasses allowed me to stop
                    squinting and the sting went away.

                    -James T.

                    "Jack Corrigan" <k9sar@...> on 08/05/2002 11:45:29 AM

                    Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com

                    To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                    cc:

                    I second, or maybe it's third by now, Campmor sunglass deals. I'm still
                    using a pair of bolle glacier glasses that were purchased 15 years ago
                    while I was stationed in New York. They are not pristine but they have been
                    the best for glare to date.

                    TEAM JackQuest
                    Jack, Cyber & Drager
                  • Clifford R. Haynes
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                      Your glasses sound just like the ones I got from LL Bean about 20 years ago.
                      They have been my favorite since I got them. Mine also came with a hard case
                      that is all but indestructible, mine were even run over by my jeep( they
                      were in the case) and survived. I just don't like them for driving because
                      the leather side shields interfere with peripheral vision.
                      Rocky

                      >From: <jetriple@...>
                      >
                      > I have some glacier glasses I bought from REI about 20 years ago. They
                      > have perfectly flat, perfectly round lenses, a leather wrap on the nose
                      > guard, and leather side shields. They are pretty cool if I do say so
                      > myself. I haven't used them much since I started needing eye-glasses a
                      few
                      > years ago, but I did use them in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I had
                      > stinging eyes from sunscreen, and the glacier glasses allowed me to stop
                      > squinting and the sting went away.
                      >
                      > -James T.

                    • Thomas Vickers