Re: Help!!!

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
      Been there, done that, saw the movie (two pairs of Vaurnets and one
      pair of Sunclouds, and counting). I prefer glass lenses myself,
      because they are more resistant to scratching.

      Bite the bullet and send them to Smith for lens replacement. You
      cannot polish out scratches without also destroying the lens coatings
      (probably a major reason you like them to begin with). From a safety
      standpoint, once glass is scratched it is more susceptable to
      shattering in the future.

      I'm presuming these are gouges you can feel, and not hair-fine little
      scratches. If you want to play around with them anyway, try some
      jeweler's rouge, which is a very fine polishing compound.

      It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
      want to keep them forever.

      --Rick

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "europa1057" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
      > ARGH! I just lost a very dear friend of mine - my Smith Burnside
      > Polarized sunglasses. I got them a little over a year ago and they
      > have been my loyal sun protection eyewear on a daily basis since
      > then. I love them, and I wouldn't dream of replacing them with
      > anything else.
      >
      > Today, disaster struck. I was taking them off as I entered Any
      > Mountain (to check out their Mountain Hardwear sales) and they
      > dropped onto the concrete, lenses down. Now the borosilicate glass
      > lenses are scratched beyond all hope. At least, I think they are.
      >
      > So, two questions:
      >
      > 1. Can any of you work a god-like miracle and tell me how to fix
      > them?
      >
      > and
      >
      > 2. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a new pair?
      The
      > list price is $125 for a new pair, or it would cost me at least $65
      > to replace the lenses through Smith, and it would also take quite a
      > while. I have an old backup pair of Ray Bans, but I want my smiths
      > back as soon as possible!
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Rebecca (who is preparing to go into deep mourning)
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
        After losing/breaking several thousand dollars worth of I've decided my
        perfect sunglasses are the 8 dollar ones in the fishing section at Wally
        Wurld. They seem to have that anti-break magic that only really cheap stuff
        has.

        If you care anything about style, I highly recommend against getting
        these:-)

        Dave

        redbike64 writes:
        > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
        > want to keep them forever.
        >
        > --Rick
      • SGT Rock
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
          I agree. I have an 8 year old pair of $8 sunglasses but my Raybands
          didn't make it one year.

          Ernest Engman
          AKA SGT Rock
          sgtrock@...
          http://hikinghq.net

          redbike64 writes:
          > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
          > want to keep them forever.
          >
          > --Rick

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Rami
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
            Unfortunately, I also have to agree....

            I've gone through 3 pair of gargoyles (@ $125.00+ each), a pair of Bolle mountain glasses (@ $100.00+), and two pair of Killer Loops (@ $125.00+ each). All scratched, broken and useless regardless of what things I've done to protect them. I can't, however, destroy the el-cheapo's I got 5 years ago for anything. I've thrown them, sat on them, stepped on them, and they are still just like the day I bought them.

            I don't know the policies of the company where you bought your glasses, but perhaps you will get lucky and they'll cut you a deal??

            Jerry, anyone at the OR show deal in good sunglasses?

            -r

            redbike64 writes:
            > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
            > want to keep them forever.
            >
            > --Rick

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Chief Moderator
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
              I got 4 or 6 of the disposable sunglass slide ins from optometry at the
              VA hospital. They weigh almost nothing, fit better than anything else
              I've tried and have no annoying clips or anything to intrude into my
              vision. And the best part was...they are free. I just love it when free
              things work better than anything I've bought.
              Jerry

              redbike64 writes:
              > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
              > want to keep them forever.
              >
              > --Rick

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              066005:HM/A=1182696/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039
              -333>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • europa1057
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
                Thanks all.

                Isn't it frustrating with sunglasses? The expensive ones are always
                the victim of freak accidents while the cheapo ones from airport XYZ
                or Gas station Q last ten years.

                I'm still trying to decide what to do with them. I got them at REI
                when I was an employee, maybe I can work out something with my
                buddies in Customer Service. =)

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Chief Moderator" <ChiefModerator@B...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                  Yes indeedy, Campmor usually has great sunglass deals. I've been
                  using a pair of Serengetti, uh, Alpine or Sunmmit or somesuch for
                  three seasons now w/o a scratch or crunch. Got them from Campmor for
                  less than half retail.

                  The gradient photochromatic wraparound lenses really protect well
                  against sun and wind, which to me makes a huge difference in eye
                  fatigue. I keep a "Chums" strap on them which helps with the "oops"
                  factor. If it makes me look like a librarian, so be it :-)

                  --Rick

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@p...> wrote:
                  > I always buy discounted Serengetis at Campmor.
                  > I find a good 30 to 40 dollar pair last me about 3 years before I
                  pull the
                  > inevitable "sit on them" trick in the car
                  >
                  > TV

                • Jack Corrigan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                    I second, or maybe it's third by now, Campmor sunglass deals. I'm still using a pair of bolle glacier glasses that were purchased 15 years ago while I was stationed in New York. They are not pristine but they have been the best for glare to date.

                    TEAM JackQuest
                    Jack, Cyber & Drager
                    www.jackquest.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                      I have some glacier glasses I bought from REI about 20 years ago. They
                      have perfectly flat, perfectly round lenses, a leather wrap on the nose
                      guard, and leather side shields. They are pretty cool if I do say so
                      myself. I haven't used them much since I started needing eye-glasses a few
                      years ago, but I did use them in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I had
                      stinging eyes from sunscreen, and the glacier glasses allowed me to stop
                      squinting and the sting went away.

                      -James T.

                      "Jack Corrigan" <k9sar@...> on 08/05/2002 11:45:29 AM

                      Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com

                      To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                      cc:

                      I second, or maybe it's third by now, Campmor sunglass deals. I'm still
                      using a pair of bolle glacier glasses that were purchased 15 years ago
                      while I was stationed in New York. They are not pristine but they have been
                      the best for glare to date.

                      TEAM JackQuest
                      Jack, Cyber & Drager
                    • Clifford R. Haynes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                        Your glasses sound just like the ones I got from LL Bean about 20 years ago.
                        They have been my favorite since I got them. Mine also came with a hard case
                        that is all but indestructible, mine were even run over by my jeep( they
                        were in the case) and survived. I just don't like them for driving because
                        the leather side shields interfere with peripheral vision.
                        Rocky

                        >From: <jetriple@...>
                        >
                        > I have some glacier glasses I bought from REI about 20 years ago. They
                        > have perfectly flat, perfectly round lenses, a leather wrap on the nose
                        > guard, and leather side shields. They are pretty cool if I do say so
                        > myself. I haven't used them much since I started needing eye-glasses a
                        few
                        > years ago, but I did use them in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I had
                        > stinging eyes from sunscreen, and the glacier glasses allowed me to stop
                        > squinting and the sting went away.
                        >
                        > -James T.

                      • Thomas Vickers