Re: [BackpackGearTest] Aqua Mira Review

  • Jack Voss
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
      Justin wrote: "... Nothing beats a filter for treating muck. I have filtered mud puddles and swamp water with my PUR that I would never try with Aqua Mira. ... Does anyone have any ideas for treating serious muck?"

      What a tremendous message! Lot's of information.

      I too, use a PUR. When I bought mine, I read all I could find about water filters and water treatment. I wanted to be SURE that the water I drank would be clean. That is not a place to be in doubt, let alone in error.

      My ideas on "serious muck" is to filter water before adding it to a water bottle. The most simple method I've thought of is a plastic canning funnel with a paper coffee filter. This would filter out muck, not dissolved chemicals or bacteria or virus (virii?). Only solid, particulate matter would be removed. Otherwise, the "sinkies" and "floaties" will remain.

      It seems, that we're trying to simulate a giant, city water system with something we can carry in our hip pockets. What a task.
    • George Cole
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
        >>It seems, that we're trying to simulate a giant, city water system with
        something we can carry in our hip pockets. What a task.<<

        Well, maybe not. I sacrificed a spleen to the motorcycle god awhile back,
        and left myself particularly vulnerable to some of the nasties that lurk in
        untreated water. I may have gone over the top, but I use a homemade silk
        muck filter (0.5 ounce), and my Platy Big Zip has a Sweetwater Siltstopper
        (1 ounce) and a SafeWater (roughly 3 ounces, without its steel prefilter)
        installed in-line in the drinking tube. I pour water into the Platy through
        the muck filter, then I add twice the recommended amount of Aqua Mira to the
        de-mucked water. I drink from the tube right away, confident that the
        chlorine dioxide will have already killed the smallest and most vulnerable
        bugs (the ones that might get through the filters), the Siltstopper will
        block any biofilm coated particles bigger than 5 microns, and the Safewater
        will get the rest. As the still active chlorine dioxide solution will be
        drawn through the Siltstopper and into the Safewater, the trapped bugs sould
        get a toxic bath over a period of time sufficient to do them in. I have
        noticed a reduction in the slight but characterisitc taste of the Aqua Mira
        through this rig, so I'm assuming that the Safewater carbon block traps at
        least some of the chlorine dioxide, which I hope reduces any potential
        health hazard. How 'bout it, Dr. Jordan?

        George

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
      • Ryan Jordan
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
          Hi George, you have a good approach to backcountry water treatment.

          > I drink from the tube right away, confident that the
          > chlorine dioxide will have already killed the smallest and most vulnerable
          > bugs (the ones that might get through the filters)

          You are making the assumption that small = most vulnerable, which is not
          necessarily true. Often it's the reverse. Still, the chance of a germ
          surviving your system even immediately after introducing aqua mira has to be
          pretty low.

          > the Siltstopper will
          > block any biofilm coated particles bigger than 5 microns, and the
          Safewater
          > will get the rest. As the still active chlorine dioxide solution will be
          > drawn through the Siltstopper and into the Safewater, the trapped bugs
          sould
          > get a toxic bath over a period of time sufficient to do them in.

          For sure, and your filters will perform better and for a longer time between
          cleanings.

          > I have
          > noticed a reduction in the slight but characterisitc taste of the Aqua
          Mira
          > through this rig, so I'm assuming that the Safewater carbon block traps at
          > least some of the chlorine dioxide, which I hope reduces any potential
          > health hazard.

          Yep, I agree.