Help!!!

  • europa1057
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
      ARGH! I just lost a very dear friend of mine - my Smith Burnside
      Polarized sunglasses. I got them a little over a year ago and they
      have been my loyal sun protection eyewear on a daily basis since
      then. I love them, and I wouldn't dream of replacing them with
      anything else.

      Today, disaster struck. I was taking them off as I entered Any
      Mountain (to check out their Mountain Hardwear sales) and they
      dropped onto the concrete, lenses down. Now the borosilicate glass
      lenses are scratched beyond all hope. At least, I think they are.

      So, two questions:

      1. Can any of you work a god-like miracle and tell me how to fix
      them?

      and

      2. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a new pair? The
      list price is $125 for a new pair, or it would cost me at least $65
      to replace the lenses through Smith, and it would also take quite a
      while. I have an old backup pair of Ray Bans, but I want my smiths
      back as soon as possible!

      Thanks,
      Rebecca (who is preparing to go into deep mourning)
    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
        Been there, done that, saw the movie (two pairs of Vaurnets and one
        pair of Sunclouds, and counting). I prefer glass lenses myself,
        because they are more resistant to scratching.

        Bite the bullet and send them to Smith for lens replacement. You
        cannot polish out scratches without also destroying the lens coatings
        (probably a major reason you like them to begin with). From a safety
        standpoint, once glass is scratched it is more susceptable to
        shattering in the future.

        I'm presuming these are gouges you can feel, and not hair-fine little
        scratches. If you want to play around with them anyway, try some
        jeweler's rouge, which is a very fine polishing compound.

        It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
        want to keep them forever.

        --Rick

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "europa1057" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
        > ARGH! I just lost a very dear friend of mine - my Smith Burnside
        > Polarized sunglasses. I got them a little over a year ago and they
        > have been my loyal sun protection eyewear on a daily basis since
        > then. I love them, and I wouldn't dream of replacing them with
        > anything else.
        >
        > Today, disaster struck. I was taking them off as I entered Any
        > Mountain (to check out their Mountain Hardwear sales) and they
        > dropped onto the concrete, lenses down. Now the borosilicate glass
        > lenses are scratched beyond all hope. At least, I think they are.
        >
        > So, two questions:
        >
        > 1. Can any of you work a god-like miracle and tell me how to fix
        > them?
        >
        > and
        >
        > 2. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a new pair?
        The
        > list price is $125 for a new pair, or it would cost me at least $65
        > to replace the lenses through Smith, and it would also take quite a
        > while. I have an old backup pair of Ray Bans, but I want my smiths
        > back as soon as possible!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rebecca (who is preparing to go into deep mourning)
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
          After losing/breaking several thousand dollars worth of I've decided my
          perfect sunglasses are the 8 dollar ones in the fishing section at Wally
          Wurld. They seem to have that anti-break magic that only really cheap stuff
          has.

          If you care anything about style, I highly recommend against getting
          these:-)

          Dave

          redbike64 writes:
          > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
          > want to keep them forever.
          >
          > --Rick
        • SGT Rock
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
            I agree. I have an 8 year old pair of $8 sunglasses but my Raybands
            didn't make it one year.

            Ernest Engman
            AKA SGT Rock
            sgtrock@...
            http://hikinghq.net

            redbike64 writes:
            > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
            > want to keep them forever.
            >
            > --Rick

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Rami
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
              Unfortunately, I also have to agree....

              I've gone through 3 pair of gargoyles (@ $125.00+ each), a pair of Bolle mountain glasses (@ $100.00+), and two pair of Killer Loops (@ $125.00+ each). All scratched, broken and useless regardless of what things I've done to protect them. I can't, however, destroy the el-cheapo's I got 5 years ago for anything. I've thrown them, sat on them, stepped on them, and they are still just like the day I bought them.

              I don't know the policies of the company where you bought your glasses, but perhaps you will get lucky and they'll cut you a deal??

              Jerry, anyone at the OR show deal in good sunglasses?

              -r

              redbike64 writes:
              > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
              > want to keep them forever.
              >
              > --Rick

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Chief Moderator
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
                I got 4 or 6 of the disposable sunglass slide ins from optometry at the
                VA hospital. They weigh almost nothing, fit better than anything else
                I've tried and have no annoying clips or anything to intrude into my
                vision. And the best part was...they are free. I just love it when free
                things work better than anything I've bought.
                Jerry

                redbike64 writes:
                > It's hard to find the "perfect" pair of glasses and once you do you
                > want to keep them forever.
                >
                > --Rick

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                066005:HM/A=1182696/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039
                -333>

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
                  Thanks all.

                  Isn't it frustrating with sunglasses? The expensive ones are always
                  the victim of freak accidents while the cheapo ones from airport XYZ
                  or Gas station Q last ten years.

                  I'm still trying to decide what to do with them. I got them at REI
                  when I was an employee, maybe I can work out something with my
                  buddies in Customer Service. =)

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Chief Moderator" <ChiefModerator@B...>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                    Yes indeedy, Campmor usually has great sunglass deals. I've been
                    using a pair of Serengetti, uh, Alpine or Sunmmit or somesuch for
                    three seasons now w/o a scratch or crunch. Got them from Campmor for
                    less than half retail.

                    The gradient photochromatic wraparound lenses really protect well
                    against sun and wind, which to me makes a huge difference in eye
                    fatigue. I keep a "Chums" strap on them which helps with the "oops"
                    factor. If it makes me look like a librarian, so be it :-)

                    --Rick

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@p...> wrote:
                    > I always buy discounted Serengetis at Campmor.
                    > I find a good 30 to 40 dollar pair last me about 3 years before I
                    pull the
                    > inevitable "sit on them" trick in the car
                    >
                    > TV

                  • Jack Corrigan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                      I second, or maybe it's third by now, Campmor sunglass deals. I'm still using a pair of bolle glacier glasses that were purchased 15 years ago while I was stationed in New York. They are not pristine but they have been the best for glare to date.

                      TEAM JackQuest
                      Jack, Cyber & Drager
                      www.jackquest.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                        I have some glacier glasses I bought from REI about 20 years ago. They
                        have perfectly flat, perfectly round lenses, a leather wrap on the nose
                        guard, and leather side shields. They are pretty cool if I do say so
                        myself. I haven't used them much since I started needing eye-glasses a few
                        years ago, but I did use them in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I had
                        stinging eyes from sunscreen, and the glacier glasses allowed me to stop
                        squinting and the sting went away.

                        -James T.

                        "Jack Corrigan" <k9sar@...> on 08/05/2002 11:45:29 AM

                        Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com

                        To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                        cc:

                        I second, or maybe it's third by now, Campmor sunglass deals. I'm still
                        using a pair of bolle glacier glasses that were purchased 15 years ago
                        while I was stationed in New York. They are not pristine but they have been
                        the best for glare to date.

                        TEAM JackQuest
                        Jack, Cyber & Drager
                      • Clifford R. Haynes
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                          Your glasses sound just like the ones I got from LL Bean about 20 years ago.
                          They have been my favorite since I got them. Mine also came with a hard case
                          that is all but indestructible, mine were even run over by my jeep( they
                          were in the case) and survived. I just don't like them for driving because
                          the leather side shields interfere with peripheral vision.
                          Rocky

                          >From: <jetriple@...>
                          >
                          > I have some glacier glasses I bought from REI about 20 years ago. They
                          > have perfectly flat, perfectly round lenses, a leather wrap on the nose
                          > guard, and leather side shields. They are pretty cool if I do say so
                          > myself. I haven't used them much since I started needing eye-glasses a
                          few
                          > years ago, but I did use them in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I had
                          > stinging eyes from sunscreen, and the glacier glasses allowed me to stop
                          > squinting and the sting went away.
                          >
                          > -James T.

                        • Thomas Vickers