LATE APPLICATION - Granite Gear Packs.

  • grahamblamey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
      I am hoping you will consider this late application to test one of the
      Granite Gear Packs. I would *really* like to do this test and I think it
      would be a unique opportunity to use the pack for exactly the sort of
      application it appears to be designed for.

      I have only recently become eligible for testing and when I read the
      original call for testers I assumed that the date referred to, August 5th,
      was the cut off point for applications. I did not see the post giving the
      final date as July 30th until today. I appreciate that this is my error but
      hope you will consider my application.

      If chosen my preferences would be in the following order: 1/ Nimbus Ozone
      4000. 2/ Vapor Trail 3500.
      My back length is 20 1/2 "and my waist measurement is 34".

      PERSONAL BIO.

      NAME Graham Blamey
      AGE 57
      GENDER Male
      HEIGHT 6'0" / 1.82 m
      WEIGHT 165 lb / 75 kg
      EMAIL ADDRESS gg@...
      COUNTY & COUNTRY Essex, S.E. UK
      DATE 04.08.2002.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND I first went camping at about age twelve and have
      been camping on and off ever since.
      Started serious walking about twenty years ago and backpacking a few years
      later. Have backpacked, with my wife Ginny, mainly in the UK and Europe.
      We have spent three weeks of each year for the last five years backpacking
      the GR11, a long distance trail that follows the spine of the French/Spanish
      Pyrenees.

      FIELD INFORMATION I would propose to test either the Nimbus Ozone or the
      Vapor Trail pack, firstly on an upcoming trip to the Spanish Pyrenees in
      September and there after on weekend and three to four day backpacks in the
      UK. The area of the Pyrenees this year is just east of the central high
      peaks and we will be walking east for three weeks finishing in Andorra. Our
      route will keep to the Spanish side of the main crest. The area consists of
      pasture-land in the N / S running valleys, wooded slopes at higher
      elevations and typical daily assents of 3000 ft / 914 m to gain the higher,
      barren, rocky passes. At one point we cross the highest pass on the GR11
      trail at 9045 ft / 2757 m (the highest peak in the Pyrenees is Aneto at 3404
      m / 11167 ft ) we will be wild camping throughout, frequently above 6561 ft
      / 2000 m.

      Typical weather conditions in the area are, to say the least, unpredictable.
      September is usually quite stable and in the past we have had clear blue
      skies, warm to hot days and frosty nights at altitude. Late afternoon
      storms can brew up very quickly and last through the night and 3 - 4 " /
      75 - 100 mm of snow over-night is possible. Weather in the area this year
      has been unusual, with contacts reporting heavy snow in mid-July.

      At the moment for multi-day trips I use a ten year old 4000 cu.in. / 65
      liter Vango Pumori internal frame rucksack with full harness system. This
      weighs 4.4 lb / 2 kg. I have moulded and shaped the rucksack to my slightly
      curved back shape in an effort to reduce lower back problems, which I can
      sometimes get. Having reduced weight in most other areas and looking to
      reduce even more, I am not convinced that unframed backpacks like Golite's
      would be suitable for my current style. A typical load for this current
      multi-day trip will be around 30 lb / 14 kg excluding renewable food and
      water. I think that the kit I will be using is as light as the conditions
      and safety considerations permit. Having read the manufacturer's
      descriptions and seen pictures of both rucksacks I think these packs fill a
      niche between traditional and ultralight pack designs. It will also be a
      unique opportunity to field test a piece of American equipment and useful, I
      think, to the manufacturers, to assess how their equipment might suit
      European conditions and markets.

      In applying to test this pack I acknowledge that the manufacturer may not be
      willing to ship to the UK. It would be necessary for me to receive the pack
      by about 28th August.
      I have read a copy of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide v.0702.2 and agree
      to comply with the requirements.
      Thank you for considering this application.
      Graham Blamey.
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
        Sorry Graham,

        The selections were made on Tuesday and the tester addresses were sent to
        Granite Gear on Friday.

        Dave