Re: Yahoo's fate...

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2 11:00 AM
      Shane Steinkamp writes:
      > Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of the
      > Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use is for
      > chatter?
      >
      > Shane

      That is the plan, at least at the start.

      Yahoo groups is huge, and people can come across us when they search them
      for backpacking groups.

      It is also just another hassle to try and switch the mailing list at the
      same time that we are switching the files.

      I think we are going to work on having a listserve in place and ready to go
      incase yahoo decides to mess with the groups too much.

      Dave
    • Jack Corrigan
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 11:14 AM
        Has the use of a "forum" been explored? I was always a fan of email. But it seems where a single group has many different "topic/categories" that a forum setup works well. I just recently found the AT forum one while checking out SGT ROCK's site.

        TEAM JackQuest
        Jack, Cyber & Drager
        www.jackquest.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 11:53 AM
          Since being an active participant in the list has its rewards, I would
          prefer to have an e-mail list rather than a forum. It is easier and faster
          for me to read and delete the high volume of e-mail we get, than to launch
          a browser and look through multiple categories. On the other hand, a forum
          would allow people to include pictures in their messages which would save
          time chasing links in e-mail messages. No more broken links! Still, I
          prefer e-mail.

          -James T.

          "Jack Corrigan" <k9sar@...> on 08/02/2002 01:14:53 PM

          Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Yahoo's fate...

          Has the use of a "forum" been explored? I was always a fan of email. But it
          seems where a single group has many different "topic/categories" that a
          forum setup works well. I just recently found the AT forum one while
          checking out SGT ROCK's site.

          TEAM JackQuest
          Jack, Cyber & Drager
          www.jackquest.com

          > Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of
          the
          > Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use
          is for
          > chatter?
          >
          > Shane

          That is the plan, at least at the start.
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5 8:45 AM
            Hi Shane

            Not sure if your question was answered or not, but anyway, we will continue
            to use Yahoo! for the time being as a email group, but the files will go
            over to the new website.

            Andrew

            --
            Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net