Yahoo's fate...

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
      > John is working on an index for Yahoo and there will
      > be some search capability on the new site, but it
      > will not have all those parameters.

      Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of the
      Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use is for
      chatter?

      Shane
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
        Shane Steinkamp writes:
        > Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of the
        > Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use is for
        > chatter?
        >
        > Shane

        That is the plan, at least at the start.

        Yahoo groups is huge, and people can come across us when they search them
        for backpacking groups.

        It is also just another hassle to try and switch the mailing list at the
        same time that we are switching the files.

        I think we are going to work on having a listserve in place and ready to go
        incase yahoo decides to mess with the groups too much.

        Dave
      • Jack Corrigan
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
          Has the use of a "forum" been explored? I was always a fan of email. But it seems where a single group has many different "topic/categories" that a forum setup works well. I just recently found the AT forum one while checking out SGT ROCK's site.

          TEAM JackQuest
          Jack, Cyber & Drager
          www.jackquest.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
            Since being an active participant in the list has its rewards, I would
            prefer to have an e-mail list rather than a forum. It is easier and faster
            for me to read and delete the high volume of e-mail we get, than to launch
            a browser and look through multiple categories. On the other hand, a forum
            would allow people to include pictures in their messages which would save
            time chasing links in e-mail messages. No more broken links! Still, I
            prefer e-mail.

            -James T.

            "Jack Corrigan" <k9sar@...> on 08/02/2002 01:14:53 PM

            Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Yahoo's fate...

            Has the use of a "forum" been explored? I was always a fan of email. But it
            seems where a single group has many different "topic/categories" that a
            forum setup works well. I just recently found the AT forum one while
            checking out SGT ROCK's site.

            TEAM JackQuest
            Jack, Cyber & Drager
            www.jackquest.com

            > Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of
            the
            > Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use
            is for
            > chatter?
            >
            > Shane

            That is the plan, at least at the start.
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
              Hi Shane

              Not sure if your question was answered or not, but anyway, we will continue
              to use Yahoo! for the time being as a email group, but the files will go
              over to the new website.

              Andrew

              --
              Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net