Granite Gear Packs tester application

  • petroglyphcanyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      This is my application to test the Granite Gear Packs

      PERSONAL DATA:
      Scott Fox, Male, 46 years old, 6' tall, 200 pounds, Chula Vista,
      California
      email: petroglyphcanyon@y... August 1, 2002

      EXPERIENCE:

      Backpacking since 1969, countless trips in high country both in
      California and Colorado. Experience with external and internal frame
      backpacks and rucksacks. Field of operations is usually 10,000 feet
      and above. Summer experience in the desert and winter experience
      above 13,000 feet including snow caves. Participate in river and flat
      water kayaking, backpacking, day trips, ski mountaineering, technical
      ice covered routes and climbing. Numerous multi-day trips summer and
      winter in all climates. Usually my trips will have some adverse
      weather involved including high winds, driving rain and hail and
      snow, sometimes all in the same trip.

      TEST PLAN:

      Now for why I would like to test the Granite Gear Packs … This will
      be my only pack for the next year , take it every where use it every
      trip, regardless of weather. As far as backpacking goes, I will only
      be making one multi day trip in September this year and it won't be
      that extreme given I just had knee surgery. I will however stuff it
      into my kayak for several trips and start putting it through its
      paces when the snow falls. I also intend on putting my climbing rope
      and rack into it for several approach hikes to the local vertical
      rock faces and may use it on a big wall for a one-day adventure if
      the opportunity strikes. Next spring when the snow gets a little
      harder, this pack will accompany me on at least one high altitude ---
      snow excursion ---- assuming that it survives the previous workout.

      While my test plan may sound extreme, I have to admit that I value my
      gear and pick it with the eye toward durability. Durability should
      not be an issue with the Granite Gear Packs anymore than the other
      packs that I have put through the same treatment. I don't have any
      reason to think that I am asking too much.

      I did not apply to test the Granite Gear Packs pack in that it didn't
      seem to have the needed capacity or fit into my idea of how to
      suspend a pack. Now that I have read some of the reviews I am
      starting to think it may have been a mistake.

      Backpack Gear Test Member since September 2001 all reports submitted
      on time, without need for changes.

      ****ALL PREVIOUS REPORTS UPDATED TO CURRENT STANDARDS***

      PRIOR TEST SERIES

      Backpacker Grill

      Initial report

      20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/PAC-FLAT%20%20Grill/Scott%
      20Fox/pacflat_initial.htm

      Field Report

      20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/PAC-FLAT%20%20Grill/Scott%
      20Fox/pacflat_field.htm

      Maptech Terrain Navigator

      Initial report

      20Terrain%20Navigator%202001/Scott%20Fox/maptech_initial.htm

      Field Report

      20Terrain%20Navigator%202001/Scott%20Fox/maptech_field.htm

      Final Report

      20Terrain%20Navigator%202001/Scott%20Fox/maptech_final.htm

      I HAVE POSTED THE FOLLOWING OWNER REVIEWS:

      MSR Whisperlight International Owner Review

      20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20Whisperlite%20International%
      20/whisperlight_owner.htm

      MSR Mini Works Owner Review

      20Treatment/MSR%20Mini%20Works%20/mini_works_owner.htm

      MONITOR -- Red Ledge Voyager rain gear test series.

      Final considerations: I don't apply for many of the tests, in that I
      have parallel gear or the gear does not meet my needs. My definition
      of backpacking and climbing is narrow and fairly extreme. I don't do
      a lot of car-camping, desert or moist country. Granite Gear Packs
      fits my definition of gear that fits my style of backpacking. . I can
      promise a thorough review of all its intended and advertised
      capabilities. Finally a review of my prior reports will confirm that
      I am normally able to write in English.

      I have read, understood and will comply with the reporting
      requirements.

      Thank you, Scott