Comparison Reports

  • briandeanatkins@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
      Just curious if BGT ever has testers do comparison tests on similar products in the same report. Like how a Go-Lite pack performed against a Granite Gear pack, etc.

      From a consumer's point of view, this might make the some of the reports easier for the readers to digest.

      I was poking through the files last night looking at tents. For instance, it is not readily apparent when you look at the 'tents' file which ones are 1-man, 2-man, 3-season, 4-season, dome, tipi, etc, etc...

      Maybe this is a thought better expressed on the BGT Web group, but I think something that would be helpful would be to have search capabilites based on criteria (ex. search for a dome-style, 3-man tent, under 10 lbs, under $300) and have a list of reports that match the search.

      Just thinking while typing ...

      Brian

    • John Burnet
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi Brian,

        Good idea. So good in fact that I have been working on
        an index for the files section. ;-) I don't have it
        down to that level of detail yet but I hope to get
        there.

        Look for the index soon.

        John Burnet
        Gatemansnametag(at)yahoo(dot)com

        --- briandeanatkins@... wrote:
        > Just curious if BGT ever has testers do comparison
        > tests on similar products in the same report. Like
        > how a Go-Lite pack performed against a Granite Gear
        > pack, etc.
        >
        > From a consumer's point of view, this might make the
        > some of the reports easier for the readers to
        > digest.
        >
        > I was poking through the files last night looking at
        > tents. For instance, it is not readily apparent
        > when you look at the 'tents' file which ones are
        > 1-man, 2-man, 3-season, 4-season, dome, tipi, etc,
        > etc...
        >
        > Maybe this is a thought better expressed on the BGT
        > Web group, but I think something that would be
        > helpful would be to have search capabilites based on
        > criteria (ex. search for a dome-style, 3-man tent,
        > under 10 lbs, under $300) and have a list of reports
        > that match the search.
        >
        > Just thinking while typing ...
        >
        > Brian

        > Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and
        > great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of
        > buying online with Shop@Netscape!
        > http://shopnow.netscape.com/
        >
        > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account
        > today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

        =====
        "What are the three most essential backpacking items?"

        "Toys, water, and food. Without water and food, you'll die. If you don't bring toys, all you'll have to play with is rocks and sticks."

        -- A. M. Frick

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
          briandeanatkins@... writes:

          > Just curious if BGT ever has testers do comparison tests on similar products in the same report. Like how a Go-Lite pack performed against a Granite Gear pack, etc.

          Nope. The main report should be about the specific product you are testing.
          A limited amount of comparison between products you are experienced with is
          natural, but should be limited to specific points.

          On the rare occasion where a manufacturer asks for a comparison with another
          one of their own products (Hennessy Ultralight Asym -> Hennessy Ultralight)
          it is acceptable.

          > From a consumer's point of view, this might make the some of the reports easier for the readers to digest.

          But then they start to become shootouts instead of being about the item
          being tested.

          > Maybe this is a thought better expressed on the BGT Web group, but I think something that would be helpful would be to have search capabilites based on criteria (ex. search for a dome-style, 3-man tent, under 10 lbs, under $300) and have a list of reports that match the search.

          John is working on an index for Yahoo and there will be some search
          capability on the new site, but it will not have all those parameters.

          Dave
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
            > John is working on an index for Yahoo and there will
            > be some search capability on the new site, but it
            > will not have all those parameters.

            Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of the
            Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use is for
            chatter?

            Shane
          • David Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
              Shane Steinkamp writes:
              > Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of the
              > Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use is for
              > chatter?
              >
              > Shane

              That is the plan, at least at the start.

              Yahoo groups is huge, and people can come across us when they search them
              for backpacking groups.

              It is also just another hassle to try and switch the mailing list at the
              same time that we are switching the files.

              I think we are going to work on having a listserve in place and ready to go
              incase yahoo decides to mess with the groups too much.

              Dave
            • Jack Corrigan
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
                Has the use of a "forum" been explored? I was always a fan of email. But it seems where a single group has many different "topic/categories" that a forum setup works well. I just recently found the AT forum one while checking out SGT ROCK's site.

                TEAM JackQuest
                Jack, Cyber & Drager
                www.jackquest.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Since being an active participant in the list has its rewards, I would
                  prefer to have an e-mail list rather than a forum. It is easier and faster
                  for me to read and delete the high volume of e-mail we get, than to launch
                  a browser and look through multiple categories. On the other hand, a forum
                  would allow people to include pictures in their messages which would save
                  time chasing links in e-mail messages. No more broken links! Still, I
                  prefer e-mail.

                  -James T.

                  "Jack Corrigan" <k9sar@...> on 08/02/2002 01:14:53 PM

                  Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Yahoo's fate...

                  Has the use of a "forum" been explored? I was always a fan of email. But it
                  seems where a single group has many different "topic/categories" that a
                  forum setup works well. I just recently found the AT forum one while
                  checking out SGT ROCK's site.

                  TEAM JackQuest
                  Jack, Cyber & Drager
                  www.jackquest.com

                  > Something I don't think I've seen spoken about: What will become of
                  the
                  > Yahoo group once the website does go live? Are we still going to use
                  is for
                  > chatter?
                  >
                  > Shane

                  That is the plan, at least at the start.
                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
                    Hi Shane

                    Not sure if your question was answered or not, but anyway, we will continue
                    to use Yahoo! for the time being as a email group, but the files will go
                    over to the new website.

                    Andrew

                    --
                    Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net