Re: [BackpackGearTest] Some response

  • GearTester
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 3 8:20 AM
      Oh, you can call me Jack....I just won't post my phone number in a public forum, any more than I would have any other tester post theirs. I'd call them but this is a non-profit list and I live on a fixed income. The long distance bills for the calls to manufacturers is bad enough. I just can't afford it. The only workable course I can see is for the person with the computer problems to get temporary use of someone else's computer and send an email to geartester@... , with any return address on it, explaining who they are and what is happening. That's what Jerome Smith did when he had computer problems. Unfortunately, that's all he did. I still don't know what the status of his Lowe Ophir pack is. I'm sure will have difficulties. I just don't see a way around it.
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3 8:31 AM
        In the event of computer crash, couldn't one use
        another computer - work <g>, library, cybercafe,
        friend, etc. With web mail this shouldn't be too
        difficult. After all, we are getting free stuff, so we
        should fulfill our obligation.

        I can understand Jerry not wanting to take phone
        calls. It must be enough work running this group by
        email without having phone calls interrupting dinner,
        work, etc.

        Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Rob
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3 12:45 PM
          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jack Voss" <vossj@m...> wrote:
          > ----- Original Message ----- From: Jack Voss to:
          > Jerry,
          >
          > Here's another approach. My report for receiving the Pristine is
          late because of computer crash. So far as I know, e-mail is the only
          avenue I have to notify you of such difficulties. Is there an
          alternate way you would like testers to contact you in these cases?
          > Jerry's response:
          > Not really. Email is the only way I know.
          > Jerry
          >
          > My follow-up:
          >
          > Jerry,
          >
          > Then, when a tester has an e-mail difficulty, you can't call them
          and they can't call you? This situation seems pre-loaded to have
          difficulties if there is no back-up mode. There must be a piece of
          the puzzle I'm not seeing here. Earlier you were mentioning
          telephone. Surely, we could call you?

          > Jack

          Jack,

          Here's a link that allows you to send a voice attachment via email
          from a Yahoo account, using your phone. Obviously you can't file
          reports this way, but a short message telling of your computer
          problems should suffice.

          http://phone.yahoo.com/yums/tour?p=2

          -Rob
        • Patrick Miller
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4 12:03 PM
            There are FREE 800-number services on the net. Try
            mail.computercurrents.com to get a FREE 800-number that lands in a
            voice-mail box. This way, you don't get disturbed during dinner -
            and it is web-based so you don't have to worry about your own
            computer crashing (you can check it from any computer with an
            internet connex)...

            Just a suggestion...
            the_weigh

          • Elkpony@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 5 12:49 PM
              all the libraries have a computer you can use and get on line so what is the
              problem ?
            • Gull Family
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 5 8:54 PM
                I don't know if this defeats the purpose of testing, but if we never hear from this individual ever again I might be able to temporarily lend my troops pack to a friend for evaluation. He isn't a member of this group but is qualified to give a informed report. If I can help please let me know
                Thanks
                Larry

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 6 5:06 AM
                  Thanks for the offer but all Lowe tests are back on schedule.
                  Jerry