Big Agnes -10/60 System

  • GearTester
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001

      BIG AGNES –10/60 SYSTEM

      I was very impressed with the attention to detail in this system. The workmanship is first rate. The –10/60 is called a sleep system and it is. It comes with three main components:

      1. The REM is a 1.5-inch self-inflating pad. As I ordered the long bag, this is necessary. The two bags involved in the system are both 78 inches long so they come with a 78-inch pad. No one else I know makes a pad that long.  The R Factor of the REM is purported to be higher than the corresponding Therma-Rest and my experience with both tells me that’s true. Even though my first field test involved 10 ° and snow I felt completely comfortable on the bottom.  This pad kept me warm in conditions that I would normally have used a Therma-Rest LE Deluxe, a 2-inch pad. I know, I’m a weenie, but I really hate being cold when I’m trying to sleep. The pad comes with its own repair kit, stuff sack and two Velcro straps. It weighs just a hair under 2.5 pounds. Heavy, but still lighter than what I was using. The pad appears to be well made. I don’t really like the short air valve but it seems to work fine.
      2. The Lost Ranger 15° goose down bag uses 600 fill. My scales put it at 3 pounds, 2 ounces. At 78 inches long, it's a big bad. To be quite honest, I just don’t care what it weighs. This is the most comfortable bag I’ve ever owned. I’m 6 foot 1 inch, 215 pounds. This is the first bag I’ve used that I could toss and turn, sleep on my side, or just about any other position I wanted and not feel like I was in an adversarial relationship with the bag…and the bag was winning. I’ve only had it out for a few nights but one of those was at 10° and snowing. I also had on a Patagonia Puffball suit. I was completely comfortable through the entire night. I love the hood on this bag. It is just the right size for me. I use a small synthetic pillow with my spare Platy in it.  This bag has the first hood that will fit over my head and the pillow.  The built in pillow sleeve is way cool. The “No-draft” yoke works like a pair of earmuffs if you sleep on your side. I didn’t need to wear a headband or ear covering. That was a first. I usually have to wear a balaclava at night.
      3. The Cross Mountain 3D fill bag is both a 40° summer bag and an overbag that takes the Lost Ranger down to -10°. It also has a built in sleeve for the pad. I doubt I’ll use it for a summer bag but it will be great for next winter.

      The system comes with stuff bags for all the components and large cotton storage bags for the two sleeping bags.

      I’m going back out this week. I’ll report more.
      Jerry