Pristine Water Treatment 2nd report

  • cstarnes@nehp.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
      Pristine Water Treatment 2nd report

      Before I begain with the actual testing results,I looked up some
      info on clorine dioxide which is the active ingrediant in Pristine.
      The pamplets included with the kit stated that "there is no free
      clorine in clorine dioxide. Although clorine dioxide has the word
      clorine in the name the two chemicals have completly different
      chemical structures". The best definition I found for clorine dioxide
      came from Water Quality and Treatment 5th edition, put out by the
      American Water Works Association. On page 14.8 it states "Clorine
      dioxide is a neutral compond of clorine in the plus IV oxidation
      state. These two statements seem to contradict each other but the way
      chemicals combine with each other can and do make very different
      componds. All articals I read backed up Pristines claim that no
      harmful DPD (disenfection by products) are formed. So while I wonder
      why or how clorine dioxide smells like clorine, and water treated
      with it (see test) registers on a clorine test kit I am led to
      believe that the claims made by Pristine about the product are true.

      I work at a small 4MGD water plant where I have access to a simple
      lab that I can run a few test with. I am no chemist so I cant run
      test with a spectomoter or try to explain the chemical reactions at
      work here. I wish I had a lab equiped to run bacteralogicals, but if
      EPA has aproved this product they have run it thru a lot more
      vigirous testing than I could ever dream of.

      For the first test I collected 1 liter of raw water from Lake
      Guntersville. It,s temp. was 10.5 deg. cel.,the turbidity was 6.162
      NTU, and the Total Alkalinity was 62. I first tried the regular
      dosage. I added 7 drops of part A(2%clorine dioxide solution) and 7
      drops of part B (5%phosphoric acid solution) into the mixing cup
      provided and gently shook it. Both chemicals were clear comeing out
      of the dropper butupon mixing it it turned to a yellow-green color
      that looked a lot like mountain dew. I let this set 5 min. as
      directed. Then I added this solution to the 1 liter raw sample. I let
      this set 15 min. as directed. I wish I had the chemicals to run a
      clorine dioxide test but thought a simple clorine test would be
      interesting. I used a Hach clotine test kit which uses a color
      comparitor wheel much like home pool test kits. I added 1 DPD Total
      Clorine Reagent Powder Pillow to 10 ml. of the treated water. It
      immediatly turned a faint pink which matched .2ppm on the test wheel.
      I realize that this may not be of any value since I was using a
      clorine test on clorine dioxide but it must have some type of
      disenfectoin properties similar to clorine that the test picked up.
      Next I checked the turbidity. It was down to 4.1 NTU, I then checked
      the alklinity and it was reduced to 54. Clorine has very similar
      affects on alkalinity. Next came taste and oder test . I first
      smelled both an untreated raw sample and the Pristine treated sample.
      The raw had a distenct earthy fishy smell. The Pristine treated
      sample had no odor. I then tasted the treated water and could detect
      a faint matalic taste so weak I couldnt identify or describe it. I
      could also detect a texture to the water like grit, I guess since the
      turbidity was high. (We have been under a flood watch off and on for
      the last couple of weeks and the lake is prety silty). I would say
      the water tasted fair (not great) but since I expect most hiking
      water sources to be cleaner to start with this is not a concern. More
      importantly I feel the bad stuff was killed or neutralized .

      Next I tried the double dosage recomended for cold, cloudy or
      suspect water. I will make this my standard procedure since I
      concider all water suspect and most wilderness streams and springs a
      cold. I use a 20 oz. poweraid bottle as my hikeing water storage unit
      so I convereted it to liters to set up the dosage. 1oz.= .029573
      liters which makes 20 0z. = .59 liters. Close enough to half so I
      used the same 7/7 drop mixture as liter sample calls for. After
      waiting the 5 min for the mixture to react and adding it to my
      poweraid raw filled sample bottel I waited 30 min. before any
      testing. The taste and oder and the turbidity results were about the
      same. However the alkalinity dropped even more to 47 and the Total
      Clorine test was .5ppm this time. I'm sure that if all the clorine
      dioxide had been used up reacting with the germs, organic and
      inorganic componds, and metals in the raw water sample there would
      have been no color change using the DPD Total Clorine test. Maby a
      chemist could explaine what my total clorine test results meant.

      I am planing a short camping trip with my son an 5 of his buddies
      on april 13th. I'll be using the Pristine Water Treatment system on
      creek water this trip. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

      Sincearly:
      Coy Starnes
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
        Outstanding report. Could you please upload it. Thanks.
        Jerry
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
          Great report...a few comments...

          > So while I wonder
          > why or how clorine dioxide smells like clorine, and water treated
          > with it (see test) registers on a clorine test kit I am led to
          > believe that the claims made by Pristine about the product are true.

          The reason it registers positive on a chlorine test kit is because the test
          measures oxidation potential, not chlorine. Thus, the same test can be used
          to measure the equivalent oxidation potential of chlorine, iodine, bromine,
          or heck, even chlorine dioxide.

          > The Pristine treated
          > sample had no odor.

          When compared to clean water, I have noticed the characteristic "metallic"
          scent, described by someone earlier. But when compared to dirty earthy
          water, I too noticed "no odor".

          > I then tasted the treated water and could detect
          > a faint matalic taste so weak I couldnt identify or describe it.

          Ditto for me.

          > I feel the bad stuff was killed or neutralized .

          Microbes are colorless, odorless, and tasteless, for all practical purposes.
          What gave you this "feeling"?

          > Next I tried the double dosage recomended for cold, cloudy or
          > suspect water. I will make this my standard procedure since I
          > concider all water suspect and most wilderness streams and springs a
          > cold.

          I would have to agree. For backcountry use, I would recommend 14 drops and a
          30 minute or more contact time.

          Ryan (BigSkyRy)
        • cstarnes@nehp.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Ryan Jordan" <bigskyry@b...> wrote:

            > The reason it registers positive on a chlorine test kit is because
            the test
            > measures oxidation potential, not chlorine. Thus, the same test can
            be used
            > to measure the equivalent oxidation potential of chlorine, iodine,
            bromine,
            > or heck, even chlorine dioxide.

            Thanks for that info. I assumed it was measuring disenfecting
            potential left but wasnt sure. Now I know its the oxidation
            potential.

            > > The Pristine treated
            > > sample had no odor.

            > > I feel the bad stuff was killed or neutralized .
            >
            > Microbes are colorless, odorless, and tasteless, for all practical
            purposes.
            > What gave you this "feeling"?

            After getting a positive responce with the total clorine test kit I
            felt the water was protected. If no color had developed I would have
            felt that the clorine dioxide had been used up killing the bugs.
            Taste has very little to do with how safe water is. When a lot of
            plant life decays in the fall the water developes a moldy tast that
            activated carbon and KMN04 have trouble removing. Of course I like
            for my water to taste good.

            Looking foward to your report. I have come to respect your opinions
            through your many answers to questions posed on this list and the BPL
            list.

            Coy Boy