Re: Seychelle Test Results (It broke!)

  • Bill Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2000
      As to my questions I posed after my filter broke:

      > Can they provide better and illustrated instructions?

      Looks like we all agree here. I thought the filters were in
      production or I would have been a _little_ less critical.

      > Why did the filter fail the dye test?

      It appears that maybe this isn't a valid test. First Needs obviously
      pass this test, and my MSR MiniWorks appears to as well. Still, if
      the dye test isn't valid, how can we test to be sure the filter
      integrity hasn't been breached? Better instructions would help here
      too.

      > Why did the filter element nipple break off so easily?

      This is my big concern. One other tester mentioned that the element
      seemed to go in a bit crooked. Maybe this is what happened to mine.
      Looking at the pieces again, the plastic isn't as soft as I thought,
      but it still broke... I'm interested in Seychelle's comments on this.

      > How would this filter perform in silty conditions?

      I think a prefilter would be a big help here. Maybe a coffee filter
      wrapped around the filter element with a rubber band to hold it on? I
      don't always have the luxury of letting a pot of water settle before
      filtering.

      Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey

      (Please excuse if this is a duplicate. I've had trouble getting my
      posts to the list.)