RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: BGT Survival Guide - new version available

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
      That was a riot....wasn't it. You talk about pathetic....lol. Oh, well,
      I learned and you all showed my how to do it.
      Jerry

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
        I thought about it because I know I would appreciate it, too...

        I do most of the major editing in Word and did have a few people look at it,
        but change bars are pretty useless when you end up moving entire chapters
        around and it gets basically impossible to read when you keep the crossed
        out old text and the underlined new text.

        Right now, it seems to be changing quite a bit from version to version and I
        expect that will continue until our new web site is up and running for a
        while and the web site and group has stabilized somewhat.

        I did, in fact, try to keep a list of "release notes" but for this version,
        it was just impractical to list all of the changes.

        Maybe next time...

        Mara - who also remembers... :-P

        >From: "asabatpct" <asabat@...>
        >Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 00:37:30 -0000
        >
        >Would it be possible that the next time the Survival Guide is updated
        >either a list of changes or a red-line copy could be available? ...
        >
        >Bill
        >Who remembers when we had to figure out what to do during the first
        >test.

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2002
          Hi

          Off course if PROPER file management is in place this should not be a
          problem, e.g., folders for individual tests. :-)

          The issue here is not the name you give the file on your computer when you
          are working on it, rather the name given to the file when upload to the
          files area on Yahoo! and the new website.

          Regards
          Andrew

          --
          Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

        • osageia
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
            > yet Microsoft FrontPage usually only adds htm

            Nope. Microsoft FrontPage 2002 automatically generates HTML. You can
            manually rename a file to HTM if you wish.
          • Mara Factor
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
              If we're going to allow all this info in the names, I would suggest starting
              the names with the report type. At least for now, there are still three
              files and having to scan through all the duplicated stuff that will be the
              same for all three files is aggravating.

              Once again, why penalize the people just reading on-line (this is a WEB
              site, after all) by making them search for the reports they are looking for
              just to satisfy the needs of the few who download?

              Unless we come up with very explicit info on how to include your name and a
              "standard" product name for each test, then every tester will use their own
              form. Except for the body of reports, we've been moving to more
              standardization as opposed to less. This gives our site a more
              "professional" appearance but the simpler the standards, the better, in my
              opinion.

              For product names, with no standards, one person will use Red_Ledge while
              another uses Voyager. This make the download unclear as to which test is
              being downloaded for brands where we've had more than one test. Often, the
              tester may not know there have been multiple products, not having been
              involved in earlier tests, or anticipated later tests.

              One will use two initials while another spells out name and title. And then
              we may even run into times where two people with the smae initials use the
              same format.

              Mara

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
                I will happily agree to whatever is decided regarding file naming
                conventions. For me, it is easiest to have different descriptive titles
                for *my own* files so that I can keep them straight and upload them without
                changing the name. Another advantage to a descriptive file name is that
                when viewing the file from the BGT site, the file name is in the Netscape
                title bar so that even when I am paging down the report I can always see
                the file name.

                If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, it would be that the file
                names be descriptive and *include* the words "initial", "
                field_test", and "long_term".

                Just my $.02. Thanks for listening.

                -James T.

                +++++++++++++

                To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
                cc:
                Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] BGT Survival Guide - new version
                available

                If we're going to allow all this info in the names, I would suggest
                starting
                the names with the report type. At least for now, there are still three
                files and having to scan through all the duplicated stuff that will be the
                same for all three files is aggravating.

                Once again, why penalize the people just reading on-line (this is a WEB
                site, after all) by making them search for the reports they are looking for
                just to satisfy the needs of the few who download? <<<snip>>>