My Hennessey Hammock and sleeping bag musings

  • dangerjudy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      I used my hammock again last weekend, car camping (why set up the tent
      and all that crap when I have this comfy hammock?) and used my
      sleeping bag open as a sort of quilt. No pad underneath.

      I wasn't cold of course (deep south) but I could feel where the cold
      spots would be. The thing is, I was all set on getting the Big
      Agnes... when I realized that I really liked sleeping in a circle, on
      my side sort of in a curled up position under the 'quilt'. SO I
      thought maybe some foam would be better.
      The thing is, I read somewhere on the 'net that ventilation of heat
      through the pad is an issue... is that so? If so, I was thinking of
      getting a foam pad and cutting some holes in it. Cheaper and lighter
      the better.
      DOES anyone have recommendations for what kind of foam to get?

      BTW I am sold on the hammock. For anyone interested, I'd say give it
      a try. I got the ultralight not the a-sym (I like the blue tarp
      better, and it's plenty big for me), and it has been my favorite piece
      of gear yet.
      ALSO I noticed in the Nantahala Outdoor Center they sell the
      Hennesseys upstairs... I asked the girl if they sold many hammocks.
      She said, "Not Really." "Well, they're great, if anybody asks, they
      should try one" I replied. The NOC is on the AT. I think Hennessey
      needs all the good word/advertising they can get. Great product.

      DANGERJUDY
    • starnescr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
        I concure. Need at least a little padding till lows are above 70
        degrees. I did just show off my hammocks to 2 guys at the campsite
        (Ravens Point on the Fiery Gizzard) last night. I let them hop in
        mine and they were really impressed. They already had camp set up
        and I inveted them over to watch (help us) and they were amazed at
        how quick my Hennesy set up. They though the Crazy Crip was neat
        (even without the poles but saw how much more complicated it was to
        set up. Still I had it up in about 10 minutes. The poles would have
        added a few more.

        Coy Boy