Field Test Report PAC-FLAT Backpacker's Grill

  • jffllgm
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      The following is my first Field Test report. Comments are
      appreciated so that I can improve it prior to posting.

      Field Test Report

      John Finston
      jffllgm@...
      47 yrs old
      220 lbs
      SF Bay Area

      I backpack throughout the west, most often in Northern CA and
      Oregon. I make about 10 trips a year.

      Product: PAC-FLAT Backpacker's Barbecue Grill

      Manufacturer: Bondco Inc.
      28 Sarina Drive
      Commack, NY 11725-1815
      631-499-3901

      http://www.ec3corp.com

      Field Test Report Details:

      Location: Ventana Wilderness, Big Sur CA
      Conditions: Dry, calm winds and warm (80's)

      Although I had performed some initial tests at home as reported in my
      Initial Report, on June 28 I used the grill for the first time on an
      actual backpacking trip. It was just an overnight trip from Pfeiffer
      State Park to Sikes Hot springs. The hike in is along the Pine Ridge
      Trail, which is in the Coastal Range of California. The hike starts
      with a healthy increase in elevation and is a bit up and down all the
      way to Sikes (about 10 miles). After arriving at Sikes, and taking
      a relaxing 2 hour soak in the hot springs, I set up the grill to cook
      a 1 1/4 inch steak. I had frozen the steak prior to my departure, and
      wrapped it in bubble wrap, so it was still cool when I unwrapped it.
      I was traveling light (except for the luxury of the steak and grill),
      so I had my alcohol stove with me. I usually use about 1 oz of
      alcohol to heat 3 cups of water. Based on my experience at home, I
      put 2 oz of fuel in the stove. As noted above, the conditions were
      ideal for cooking. Little or no wind, dry and still quite warm. The
      Grill took about 5 minutes to heat up and start cooking the steak.
      The heat fairly even and I did not have hot spots that some others
      have complained about. This could be because the flames from the
      alcohol stove heated covered and heated the steel plate fairly
      evenly. After about 10 more minutes one side of the steak was cooked
      and I was out of fuel. I refilled the stove with another 1.5 oz and
      turned the steak over to cook the other side. The steak stuck to the
      grill a bit and since I was using a fork to flip the steak (no
      spatula) I had to hold the grill with my pot holder as I pried the
      steak off the grill to flip it. As the fuel ran out, my steak was
      cooked medium rare.

      Clean up was not as bad as I expected. A handful of river sand, some
      liquid soap and a modest amount of elbow grease and voila, the grill
      was clean enough to repack. My windscreen got splattered with grease,
      but adding a little alcohol to my cleaning mixture helped. I did
      throw the Grill into the dishwasher when I returned to fully clean it.

      Pros: At this time of year open fires are not permitted in Ventana
      due to the dry conditions of the forest. Therefore, being able to
      cook a steak on a grill using a camp stove was great. After hiking a
      good part of the day, biting into a juicy steak was an exceptional
      experience. Although I might not take the grill on an extended solo
      trip, I will continue to use it on weekend trips, which are my most
      common type of trip.

      Cons: I had to use quite a bit of fuel to cook the steak. I have not
      cooked a steak using my MSR Whisperlite, so do not have a basis for
      comparison. However, the fuel use using the alcohol stove, while
      workable for an overnight trip, would be excessive for a longer trip.

      I plan to take the grill on a one week trip in Oregon next month. I
      will be hiking with 4 friends, so the extra weight for fuel and the
      grill will not be as much of a factor. We will be cooking steak the
      first night out and garden burgers, falafel and, hopefully, trout
      thereafter. Stay tuned.
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        Hi John

        The report looks good. That steak sounded damn nice ....!! I have made
        some suggestions below for you to consider.

        At 05:39 AM 02/07/2002, you wrote:

        >Manufacturer: Bondco Inc.
        > 28 Sarina Drive
        > Commack, NY 11725-1815
        > 631-499-3901
        >
        ><http://www.ec3corp.com>http://www.ec3corp.com

        ### Could you please refer to the relevant section of the Survival Guide
        and include any applicable additional information as required such as
        product weight etc.

        >The heat fairly even and I did not have hot spots that some others
        >have complained about.

        ### Should this read the "The heat SPREAD fairly EVENLY ... ?

        >This could be because the flames from the
        >alcohol stove heated covered and heated the steel plate fairly
        >evenly.

        ## I would suggest you delete the first "heated".

        One other suggestion John. You mention a "alcohol stove." It might add
        value to the report if you provide a name for this stove or if it is home
        made, maybe a link to a webpage or a very brief description so that we can
        get a better picture of what you have used with the grill.

        Regards
        Andrew

        --
        Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net