Re: Tent Fly Materials

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hi Andrew,

      A poly-based fly fabric won't stretch when wet, meaning it holds its
      shape better in the rain. I believe that silnylon isn't as
      susceptible to stretching as regular urethane-coated nylon.

      My *opinion* is that for rainflys/ies, the permeability numbers are
      irrelevant. A coated fabric with a good DWR treatment will keep the
      water at bay (presuming correctly sealed seams).

      The permeability numbers come into play with the tent floor, where
      you can have standing water under the pressure of you and your stuff.
      I've been in cheap tents where the floor wetted through, so know it
      can happen. But does standing up to four meters head versus two
      meters matter in the field? I sort of doubt it.

      At least three "big" companies are now making tents with silnylon
      flys: Hilleberg, Sierra Designs and Mountain Hardware (there are
      probably others). I've seen the MH and SD flys and they're certainly
      less heavy than the traditional coated nylon. The material's not as
      thin as that used on the I.D. products (for example).

      Re. your other question on front and rear doors--it's nice to have
      both on a tunnel tent. My tunnel tent has two--one's slanted (the
      front) and the other vertical. This means you have a protected
      entrance in foul weather, excellent ventilation, and can more-easily
      clean out the inside. There's a cost in weight and complexity, though.

      Happy shopping.

      --Rick

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Andrew Priest <apriest@i...> wrote:
      > Hi Folks
      >
      > Getting ready to spend up big (tax time) on a new tent. While I
      have
      > narrowed the choice down (more to come on this in a later posting) I
      > am interested in feedback on the more technical issue of the tent
      fly
      > materials. I am NOT looking for recommendations on tents at this
      > stage.
      >
      > To put the questions in perspective, we walk in Western Australia,
      > mainly during the Autumn to Spring period. When it rains over here
      it
      > tends to really rain. That is we probably get a less number of rainy
      > days, but much more heavy rain periods/thunderstorms/localised
      > flooding when it does rain.
      >
      > Also we plan to use the tent hiking in New Zealand, particularly
      > Stewart Island.
      >
      > To the questions:
      >
      > (1) Polyester versus Nylon tent flies. Is there a significant
      > difference in these materials? What is the advantage of the
      polyester
      > over the nylon?
      >
      > (2) My second question relates to hydrostatic head and is based on
      the
      > Macpac materials - UV40 and RS75. Macpac indicate that their UV40
      > material has a 3500mm of hydrostatic head and their material, RS75
      has
      > a hydrostatic head of 1500mm. They apply the British Standard 3424
      in
      > their testing.
      >
      > What does this really mean in terms of waterproofness? I am
      > particularly interested in comments in the context of my opening
      > description of walking conditions here in WA and I guess walking in
      > NZ.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Andrew
      >
      > http://aushiker.cjb.net
      > --
      > Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
        Hi Rick

        Thanks for the comments. On the permeability of the floors one tent brand
        that I am looking at is around 10,000 mm and the other 8,000 mm which I
        assume is pretty good. Better be for the price!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
          Andrew,

          Ten meters' water pressure--do these tents come with paddles? ;-)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
            Hi Rick

            Pretty much! :-) Have you seen the Hilleberg catalogue photo (2001
            catalogue) of guy poking his head of the tent? He found himself floating in
            a "new" lake!

            Cheers
            Andrew

            --