Re: Winter Bivy in the summer

  • dawnhark
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
      > Rain. What's rain?

      Rained in Tahoe yesterday and today (lightly where I was, heavier
      under thunderheads)...

      > Ours should be back in October or so. Guess I'll be sitting this
      >one out.

      The Bibler site says this bivy is not for heavy or continuous rain,
      but is for light rain & snow.

      > Nice little bivy though, and light!

      Oh yes, I must have one, I need one!!! Looks like the ideal
      survival/ultralight goodie to go everywhere with me.

      Have to pass on the test though unless they want to see how it
      fullfills its other performance areas: superlight emergency shelter,
      bag cover, minimalist bivy sack, short light rain/snow showers, under
      a tarp as part of an ultralight system, added waterresistent-
      breathable-lightweight protection...

      If Bibler is interested in having any of these features/uses tested,
      I will apply post-haste!!!!

      Dawn

    • hikemstr@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
        Application for Test of Bibler Winter Bivy

        Name: Dr. Eugene Roddy
        Email: hikemstr@...
        Age: 52
        Sex: Male
        Height: 5'6"
        Weight: 160 lbs
        Locale: New England

        Date: June 3, 2002

        Extensive experience as a backpacker, climber and thru hiker who is making
        the transition to "lightweight" wilderness travel. The majority of my
        travels are in northern New England ranging from Connecticut to Maine. I am
        a frequent backpacker on the AT doing sections ranging from two day trips to
        three weeks.

        Test Proposal:
        I have a three week trek planned for the Adirondack region of NY. My plan is
        to travel light and fast and the "winter sack" will be tested in tandem with
        a tarp (Bibler Betamid). I have a fair amount of experience with bivies and
        can credibly report on subtle distinctions - both good and bad. My hope is
        to travel 12 miles per day with time for pictures. My research of the region
        leads me to believe that there are many rainy days and cool nights in this
        northern part of the state. I can attest that after my other thru hikes my
        down sleeping bag tends to get wetter than desired without some form of
        protection. I feel I can make one report mid trip with a detailed report
        upon completion and the expected 6 month final report.

        I have read the updated SURVIVAL GUIDE and will, of course, continue to
        comply with all testing standards.

        Previous Report Submitted:

        Bibler Eldorado - Owner Review
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Bibler%20Eldorad

        o/Owner%27s%20Report%20-%20Bibler%20Eldorado.htm

        Big Agnes - Owner Review
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/Big%20Agnes%

        20Cross%20Mountain/BACrossMountain.htm

        Last Chance Sportswear
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Clothing/Last%20Chance%20

        Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Report1and2.html

        Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Last%20Chance%20Shorts%20-%20Report%20%233.htm

        Equinox Ultra Light Bivy
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Equinox%20Ultral

        ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report.htm

        ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report%232.htm

        ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report%233.htm

        Crazy Crib LEX
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Crazy%20Creek%20

        Crib%20LE/Dr.%20Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Crazy%20Crib%201%262.htm

        Crib%20LE/Dr.%20Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Crazy%20Crib%20%233.htm

        Thank you for your consideration,

        Doc

      • Mara Factor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2002
          This call for testers will close tomorrow, at noon, EDT. Please get your