Winter Bivy in the summer

  • Mara Factor
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2002
      This is a call for testers...

      We've got five Bibler Winter Bivies to test. The URL and some information
      from Bibler is included below.

      Please get your applications in as soon as possible. I anticipate closing
      this call for testers next Friday, June 7.

      Given that these are Winter Bivies and that Bibler would like to see these
      tested in wet conditions, preference will go to those backpacking in rainy
      climates. Please include expected weather conditions (temperatures and
      precipitation) in your applications.

      Please also review the Survival Guide before applying. To clarify the
      requirement for links to previously written reports, here's what will be in
      the next version of the Survival Guide:

      "Previously written reports

      - Include two URLs to Owner and/or Test reports for two different pieces of
      gear that you have previously submitted. For test reports, send the URL to
      the Folder with the three or four reports. For Owner reports, since there
      is only one file, include the URL for that file. Generally speaking, these
      should be your last two complete test series and/or Owner reports. Failure
      to include this information will result in your application being discarded.

      - Include a listing of any other tests you are currently involved with.
      URLs are not required for this list.

      - Include a further listing of previously written owner and/or test reports.
      Once again, URLs are not required for this list."

      I look forward to perusing your applications.

      Thank you,
      Mara

      From Bibler:

      Here's the catalog description:

      http://www.biblertents.com/2002/winter.html

      I think this would make a good sleeping bag dirt, drip, drizzle and
      breeze cover under a tarp, and would be a good item for many Ultra lighters.
      I realize it is a little past the Big Trail Launch Season, but perhaps
      some section hikers who are currently using a tarp with a bivy bag for rainy
      areas would like to try the 9.2 oz Winter Bivy as their bivy bag. My
      preference would be for use in rainy climates, where it would get a real
      good test.

    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2002
        Rain. What's rain?

        Ours should be back in October or so. Guess I'll be sitting this one
        out. Nice little bivy though, and light!

        --Rick

        <<snip>>
      • europa1057
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2002
          My thoughts too.

          Geez, I move from Michigan to California because I hated the weather,
          and now I'm complaining that I won't be rained on for months...never
          happy! =)

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
          > Rain. What's rain?
          >
          > Ours should be back in October or so. Guess I'll be sitting this
          one
          > out. Nice little bivy though, and light!
          >
          > --Rick

        • dawnhark
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2 12:24 AM
            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
            > Rain. What's rain?

            Rained in Tahoe yesterday and today (lightly where I was, heavier
            under thunderheads)...

            > Ours should be back in October or so. Guess I'll be sitting this
            >one out.

            The Bibler site says this bivy is not for heavy or continuous rain,
            but is for light rain & snow.

            > Nice little bivy though, and light!

            Oh yes, I must have one, I need one!!! Looks like the ideal
            survival/ultralight goodie to go everywhere with me.

            Have to pass on the test though unless they want to see how it
            fullfills its other performance areas: superlight emergency shelter,
            bag cover, minimalist bivy sack, short light rain/snow showers, under
            a tarp as part of an ultralight system, added waterresistent-
            breathable-lightweight protection...

            If Bibler is interested in having any of these features/uses tested,
            I will apply post-haste!!!!

            Dawn

          • hikemstr@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3 10:22 AM
              Application for Test of Bibler Winter Bivy

              Name: Dr. Eugene Roddy
              Email: hikemstr@...
              Age: 52
              Sex: Male
              Height: 5'6"
              Weight: 160 lbs
              Locale: New England

              Date: June 3, 2002

              Extensive experience as a backpacker, climber and thru hiker who is making
              the transition to "lightweight" wilderness travel. The majority of my
              travels are in northern New England ranging from Connecticut to Maine. I am
              a frequent backpacker on the AT doing sections ranging from two day trips to
              three weeks.

              Test Proposal:
              I have a three week trek planned for the Adirondack region of NY. My plan is
              to travel light and fast and the "winter sack" will be tested in tandem with
              a tarp (Bibler Betamid). I have a fair amount of experience with bivies and
              can credibly report on subtle distinctions - both good and bad. My hope is
              to travel 12 miles per day with time for pictures. My research of the region
              leads me to believe that there are many rainy days and cool nights in this
              northern part of the state. I can attest that after my other thru hikes my
              down sleeping bag tends to get wetter than desired without some form of
              protection. I feel I can make one report mid trip with a detailed report
              upon completion and the expected 6 month final report.

              I have read the updated SURVIVAL GUIDE and will, of course, continue to
              comply with all testing standards.

              Previous Report Submitted:

              Bibler Eldorado - Owner Review
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Bibler%20Eldorad

              o/Owner%27s%20Report%20-%20Bibler%20Eldorado.htm

              Big Agnes - Owner Review
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/Big%20Agnes%

              20Cross%20Mountain/BACrossMountain.htm

              Last Chance Sportswear
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Clothing/Last%20Chance%20

              Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Report1and2.html

              Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Last%20Chance%20Shorts%20-%20Report%20%233.htm

              Equinox Ultra Light Bivy
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Equinox%20Ultral

              ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report.htm

              ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report%232.htm

              ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report%233.htm

              Crazy Crib LEX
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Crazy%20Creek%20

              Crib%20LE/Dr.%20Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Crazy%20Crib%201%262.htm

              Crib%20LE/Dr.%20Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Crazy%20Crib%20%233.htm

              Thank you for your consideration,

              Doc

            • Mara Factor
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6 1:13 PM
                This call for testers will close tomorrow, at noon, EDT. Please get your