MiniBuck Owner's Report

  • Peggy Dodson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2002
      Minibuck Review
      by Peggy Dodson
      5/30/02

      I acquired a Minibuck multitool approximately one
      month ago. I wanted a small, lightweight multitool
      for use in backpacking and day-to-day activities. I
      wanted many of the features that come in larger
      multitool in a slimmer, more compact model. There are
      several other small multitool on the market, but many
      of them sacrifice the pliers and offer other very
      specialized tools which I have no use for. The
      Minibuck keeps the pliers as the central component,
      and has a variety of other scaled down, but generally
      useful tools. These include a slim knife which can
      double as a sewing awl, a bottle opener/standard screw
      driver combo, a nail file with cleaning tip, a small
      phillips screwdriver, a very sturdy pair of tweezers,
      and a pair of spring loaded scissors. The handles are
      engraved with lines for measuring both in inches and
      centimeters. The tool is brushed stainless steel, and
      the handles swivel shut into a slender 2.5" x 0.5"
      package. It weighs in at approximately 1 ounce or 30
      grams.

      Over the past month, I have used the tool back-
      packing, around the house and at work. I have found
      that both the knife and the scissors and very sharp
      and cut cleanly. The knife blade is 2" long--as long
      as it can possibly be and still fit in the handle. On
      the trail, it cuts cheese and fruit beautifully. It
      also has a nice sharp point on it that works well for
      removing splinters. I work in a bulk mail center so
      I've used it to open envelopes, unplug paper jams in
      the postage meter, open boxes, break down boxes, cut
      through shrink wrapping and to slice open industrial
      plastic strapping. I've used the scissors
      successfully on paper, card stock, plastic packaging,
      thread, string, shrink wrapping and fabric. I tried
      an old AOL disc, but that was a no go. After one
      month of heavy use on both of these components, both
      still have a good edge.

      I have not used the other components as heavily as
      the two described above; however, I have found them
      all useful in certain situations. The pliers have
      been useful on the postage meter jams. They fit into
      extremely narrow spaces when turned sideways. The
      nail file has good texture on it and actually works.
      The cleaning tip fits comfortably under the nails to
      remove
      dirt. The tweezers are cast in one piece--they are
      sturdy and have excellent tension. I have
      successfully removed several splinters with them. The
      screw drivers are only useful on very small screws,
      but on things such as eyeglasses and office equipment
      they have been great. The bottle opener requires that
      you pry at about three different points before the cap
      becomes
      loose enough to remove, but considering how small it
      is, it is quite functional.

      This tool does have some drawbacks. The degree of
      the drawbacks depends on your perspective. From my
      point of view, I have only found a couple of things
      disagreeable about the tool. It has a protective
      rubber sheath which fits very tightly and is often
      very difficult to remove. I have stopped using it
      because it won't come off if I have the least amount
      of grease or sweat on my fingers. Another potential
      weakness of the tool are the rivets that it swivels
      upon. I had the opportunity at one point to examine a
      floor model that had seen a lot of handling, and the
      rivets had become very loose. The result was that the
      tool did not want to stay closed anymore when folded.
      Some might see other drawbacks in this tool in some of
      the very virtues that I have described. The tool's
      petite, lightweight construction means that it would
      not hold up to the abuse that a larger sturdier
      multi-tool could withstand. The screwdrivers are
      particularly tiny and would be useless on average
      sized screws. I found this tool ideal for my job,
      interests and lifestyle. In backpacking, we
      understand that there are trade-offs to be made in
      exchange for compact, lightweight qualities. I feel
      that this tool is an excellent choice for backpackers;
      it offers great utility in a very small
      package.

      Biographical Information For Peggy Dodson
      as of 5/30/02

      AGE--28
      Gender--Female
      Height--5'4"
      Weight--250 lb.
      email--leonata@...
      Location--Missoula, MT, USA
      Backpacking experience--I have been hiking and
      camping for the past 24 years. My father was a scout
      master when I was young so I went on a lot of trips
      with his scout troop from age 4 on up. My family also
      visited Yellowstone, Glacier and The Grand Teton
      National Parks regularly when I was growing up, which
      always entailed camp outs and day hikes. Every summer
      we went on several camping trips and did plenty of
      hiking--primarily in Montana, Wyoming and the
      Pacific Northwest. I started backpacking a year ago
      and have gradually been working on increasing the
      distance and elevation gain of my trips. I have
      backpacked all over Western Montana in the past year,
      with a higher concentration of trips in the areas
      within an hour or two of Missoula. Nearly all of
      these trips have been at an elevations greater than
      4000 ft with elevation gains of 500 ft or greater over
      the course of the hike. I take a couple of
      backpacking trips each month. I also take regular car
      camping trips and hike nearly every weekend. All this
      gives me ample opportunity to test my gear. So far my
      gear testing experience is limited to two beta tests
      for Cascade Designs; however, I have excellent writing
      skills and good analytical capabilities. I look
      forward to doing more gear testing in conjunction with
      this list.

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
        HI Peggy

        Thanks for the review. In going over the report, I did notice one small
        typo in the first paragraph. I think that this sentence should read "There
        are several other small MULTITOOLS on the market, ..." with the correction
        in capitals.

        I also notice that your report does not include the details required in the
        "Product Information" section of the BGT Survival Guide. Could you please
        include this information before uploading your report to the appropriate
        folder (created). You can find the BGT Survival Guide at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/1%20BGTSurvivalGuide.htm.

        Regards
        Andrew Priest
        Group Monitor

        --
        Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

      • Peggy Dodson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
          Hi,
          I would like to apply to be a tester for the Red Ledge Voyager Rain
          Gear. I will be hiking, camping and backpacking nearly every weekend
          this summer. Most of my trips will be in the mountains of Western
          Montana. So far, I plan to make several trips into the Selway-
          Bitterroot Wilderness, which is just to the south of where I live. My
          summer will also include 2 or 3 trips north to Glacier National Park.
          Other trips I want to make include treks through the Welcome Creek
          Wilderness, the Rattlesnake Wilderness and the Seeley-Swan recreation
          area.

          We are having a very wet spring this year in Western Montana so I
          should have ample opportunity to test the gear's waterproofness and
          breathability. Evening thunder storms are quite common in this region.
          These should allow me to evaluate the rain suit's performance under
          more extreme conditions, such as heavy wind and rain. I also plan to
          use the outfit as regular part of my layering system on the trail;
          heavy usage will give me an idea of how durable the Voyager series is.

          I have read the BGT survival guide in it's most up to date form, and
          I promise to adhere to it's guidelines.

[...]

          hike. I take at least a couple of backpacking trips each month. I
          also take regular car camping trips and hike nearly every weekend. All
          this gives me ample opportunity to test my gear. So far my gear
          testing experience is limited to two beta tests for Cascade Designs;
          however, I have excellent writing skills and good analytical
          capabilities.

          The links to my owner reviews are:

          Buck Minibuck Tool
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Knives/Buck%20Minibuck%20Multitool/mbuckpd.html

          The North Face Slickrock Tent
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Tents/TNF%20Slickrock%20Tent/slkrockpd.html

          Thank you very much for your consideration, Peggy Dodson

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com