Re: "handedness"

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2002
      In a message dated 4/29/02 6:18:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > From: Dennis Gartland <legend199@...>
      > Subject: Re: Right Zip or Left Zip
      >
      > For some reason I have met a lot of people who can't
      > zip a bag with the wrong side zip. I am not sure what
      > the malady is. I have asked if they have any physical
      > problems. Thay always respond, "NO" and look at me
      > funny.
      >
      > It surprises me that so many people can only use one hand to do a task.
      I'll grant that I do more with my right hand, and do it better. This runs
      the gamut from holding a knife, pen, or hairbrush to throwing a line over a
      tree limb. But I don't NOT use my left hand. I was holding something in my
      right hand and typing the UPC into a cash register with my left. My
      supervisor asked in amazement if I were left handed. I couldn't see any
      issue there. People use both hands to type or play the piano. The I started
      noticing several cashiers couldn't function on registers that had the
      conveyor belt coming from the one certain side. Passing objects over a
      scanner and dropping them into bags doesn't seem like a "fine motor" skill.
      Weird to me. I imagine that not too far down the road we'll conclude that
      our mainly sedentary and ready made convenience life style has resulted in
      generations who haven't developed the nerve pathways and related brain
      function we take for granted.

      Rosaleen