Initial Report Hennessy Ultralite A-sym Hammock

  • Helen Hillberg
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2002
      Many hours later I finally found time to write this. Let me know if it's ready for upload or if I need to change something.

      Hennessy UltraLite Backpacker A-sym Hammock
      www.hennessyhammock.com

      May 1, 2002

      The Tester

      Helen Hillberg
      hhloth@...
      age 55
      115 lbs
      5'5"
      I live in the Sierra foothills, about one hour east of Sacramento, California

      I have logged many thousand of backpacking miles in addition to being an enthusiastic car camper and fisherwoman. I have experience over many different types of terrain at elevations ranging from sea level to over 14,000 feet. I use a mountaineering tent, a solo lightweight convertible tent, a tarp or a hammock depending on the conditions I expect to encounter. I tend to travel lightweight these days with a base pack weight of about 15 lbs. not including food or water.

      The Hammock

      The Hennessy Hammock arrived this afternoon and after confirming that there was no visible damage, I immediately weighed it. Mine weighed 30 ounces including the stuff sack, so it is acceptably close to the manufacturer's stated weight of 28 ounces (794 gm). The stuff sack measures 13 x 9 1/4 inches so that gives you an idea of the small amount of space the hammock will use up in your pack. I checked that all components were indeed in the stuff sack before I raced outside to string it up.

      The hanging of the hammock was easy for me since I already own the UltraLite model that preceded this latest version of lightweight hammocks. The hanging of the canopy seemed a little more confusing though since it is asymmetrical. The wind was blowing quite hard and I found that it is not easy to read directions while trying to hang onto both the directions and the canopy, even if the directions are written in nice big print on the stuff sack. I studied the canopy trying to figure out which end was the head and which was the foot and wishing that the canopy was color coded before I eventually chose the wrong ends to clip at head and foot. That's when I realized there is no wrong way to clip the canopy, it doesn't have an inside and an outside so all I had to do was flip it over, still clipped, to align it with the asymmetrical hammock. I staked out the sides of the hammock and canopy and climbed in - utter bliss. I eventually forced myself to get out to remove the canopy and one of the hammock's side stakes. Following the directions from Ernest's owner review, I swung one side of the hammock over the other to create a chair. Actually in my case it was a swing that I found very hard to give up to come inside to write this report.

      I'm looking forward to taking the hammock out for a field test. I will be checking to see if this hammock is more comfortable than the regular UltraLite; doubtful since the UltraLite is super comfortable already. I will also check the weather protection offered by the bigger canopy. The next night I intend to set the hammock up on the ground like a solo tent just to see how well that works and to give the Equinox bivy a chance to perform in warmer weather.
      After I've used the new hammock enough to determine which hammock is sacred I'll experiment with the other and even allow my dog to use it with me to test how truly tough the material is.

      My field report will contain a full description of the hammock as well as notations on how this new hammock differs from the original Ultralite Backpacker.

    • Helen Hillberg
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2002
        I've corrected "I checked that all components were indeed in the stuff sack before I raced outside to string it up." to "......to string up the hammock". It's amazing how often one can read something and still miss the obvious.

      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2002
          Helen Hillberg wrote:

          > I've corrected "I checked that all components were indeed in the stuff sack before I raced outside to string it up." to "......to string up the hammock". It's amazing how often one can read something and still miss the obvious.

          I read and read and read my posts, and still make typos.

          What really bugs me is that my mistakes are all being archived
          somewhere for all eternity...

          Ron
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com