Seychelle Test Results (It broke!)

  • W J Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
      My first impression was this was a nice looking, light weight filter.

      However, I also noticed that they sure didn't spend much effort on printed
      material. The brochure showing their product line was a nice glossy one, but
      the instructions were two photocopied computer-printed sheets with NO
      illustrations. Now how do I assemble this thing. Oh, back on the second page
      they cover Filter Replacement. Still, it took some looking to see where the
      filter element installed. A couple of simple drawings, nothing fancy, would
      have been very helpful. Also, I had to look hard to find which end was "in"
      and which was "out." A big arrow imprinted on the body to show water flow
      would have made that easier.

      There were no instructions on cleaning the filter. Should it be brushed or
      backwashed? Without complete instructions, the part I've heard refered to as
      a backwash device I assumed to be for filtered faucet water as shown in
      their brochure as the Tap2Pure filter. I agree it would made a great
      backwash device.

      I also noticed a bit of blackish grit in the filter system, apparently from
      the filter element itself. The filter element looked fragile, like a bit of
      foam pipe insulation. A gentle brush with a finger tip would remove more
      grit. I gently screwed the element into the body of the filter, worried I
      would tear the element. I flushed as instructed and the water appeared to be
      clear quickly.

      Once assembled on my platy system, the filter primed quickly. I was
      impressed with how easy it was to draw water through the filter to my bite
      tube. It sure was easier than pumping my MSR, and a whole lot lighter! I
      wondered how well it worked, and proceeded to the dye test.

      I added a bit of yellow food coloring to the platy, and saw that the yellow
      color was only slightly faded on the output of the filter. I'm not sure it's
      not filtering the germs out, but my other filters have all taken all the
      color out. I could just imagine how silty desert stream water will look.

      I then removed the filter element to look at the O-ring that has been
      questioned. It looked ok, so I again carefully screwed the element back into
      the filter. The threaded nipple then BROKE OFF where the O-ring was located.

      If this was my only filter in the field I would be out of luck, or using my
      backup tablets. I am concerned that, being careful in my kitchen, I broke
      the filter. I could see damage being easier to inflict when tired after a
      hard hike or in bad weather. Also, a bit of sediment in the threads would
      increase the chances of damage.

      So, in summary:
      Can they provide better and illustrated instructions?
      Why did the filter fail the dye test?
      Why did the filter element nipple break off so easily?
      How would this filter perform in silty conditions?

      I still need to find a replacement for my too-heavy MSR miniworks, but until
      I can trust something else, the MSR has never failed me.

      Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey
    • Critical Payne
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2000
        I just got my filter, and have a few first impressions. I'll start with
        the negatives.

        1) Documentation, or the lack thereof. I'm not really concerned with
        _how_ the filter goes about removing all the nasties I don't want to
        drink, and I doubt any consumer who has just purchased the product would
        be either. What I AM concerned about is how to put the thing together and
        assure that I use it correctly so it WILL remove the nasties. And
        although it was fairly simple to assemble, some directions would have been
        nice.

        2) Relating back to #1, for a while I had no idea what the rubber piece
        was for. I read the "directions" several times, and made myself feel like
        a complete idiot because I couldn't figure out where the rubber piece was
        supposed to go. It made no sense to me that it would go in the filter,
        but I figured they wouldn't include the thing if it didn't serve a
        purpose. It wasn't until I looked through their brochure and saw their
        Tap2Pure system that I figured out that it's just a faucet hookup. One
        that could be improved by making it a tighter fit to the filter, I might
        add.

        3) When I screwed in the filter element, it appeared to not go in
        straight, and was perched at an angle (despite being fully screwed in).
        This made it somewhat difficult and consternating to screw the rest of the
        casing on, although I did manage it with some care.

        4) I am yet to hook the filter up to my hydration pack, for I am wary of a
        couple of things. Will it leak? Will it force me to change how I carry
        and use my hydration pack (I keep it in a special pouch at the top of my
        Gregory Shasta, and run the tube down under my arm and up to a hook on my
        shoulder strap)? Perhaps anyone who has already hooked theirs up can
        assuage or confirm my fears.

        5) After giving it a test run on the faucet, I blew the remaining water in
        the system out with my mouth, and got a TERRIBLE taste in my mouth. The
        taste wasn't as strong on the out side (either that or I was used to it),
        but I am still concerned about whether the filter could affect the taste
        of the water when used in the hydration pack as intended.

        And now for the positives . . .

        1) Water seems to flow through the filter very easily, which is always a
        plus.

        2) The filter withstood very high water flow from the faucet without
        leaking or otherwise failing.

        3) The filter is nice and small for what it does, and also relatively
        lightweight.

        4) No problems with the O-ring, even at high rates of flow from the
        faucet.

        5) The element appeared to flush very quickly.

        I will give it a more rigorous test this weekend on a small trip, but I
        thought I'd send a few initial comments. SO far my main observation is
        INSTRUCTIONS, INSTRUCTIONS, INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They don't cost that much,
        and it would have helped me out a lot.

        More to follow,
        Stephen Payne

        "We sure liberated the hell out of this place."
        -- GI entering the rubble of St. Lo, France, 1944
        * http://webpub.alleg.edu/student/p/paynes/war.html *
        * WW II Pictures, Essays, Information, and More *
      • Gerry Gladu
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2000
          "W J Jeffrey" <aa6j@a...> wrote:

          > So, in summary:
          > Why did the filter fail the dye test?

          I am curious to know why this would be a valid water filter test for
          a filter with a maximum 2 micron pore size.

          > How would this filter perform in silty conditions?

          Shouldn't this should be part of the filter testing? If it clogs,
          unscrew it, rinse it off, try it again and make note of the results
          and report back to us.

          Personally, like any filter I would expect it to eventually clog in
          silty conditions. What we need to know is how does it perform after
          rinsing it out. Does it flow freely again until sediment clogs it
          again? If so, that would be very acceptable, IMO. If it didn't clog
          in silty conditions, I'd be pretty worried.

          Gerry
        • Gerry Gladu
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2000
            "W J Jeffrey" <aa6j@a...> wrote:

            > So, in summary:
            > Why did the filter fail the dye test?

            Is this a valid test for a filter with a minimum 2 micron pore size?
            My SWA doesn't completely filter out tannin although my old Katadyn
            mini-filter does.

            > How would this filter perform in silty conditions?

            Um, that would be part of the testing, wouldn't it? :-)

            If it clogs in those conditions and a simple rinse allows it to flow
            freely again before clogging again, then I couldn't as for more than
            that from a filter. If it didn't eventually clog under those