Re: Off topic (sort of) question for Dawn

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      David Anderson writes:

      > Rebecca,
      >
      > You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it just
      > snowed down to 200' again last weekend.

      Oops, must remember to proofread before I hit send. Make that 2000'.

      Dave
    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2002
        Snow should be plentiful, in fact it's snowing up there today.

        For specific info, call the Forest Service office in Camino:
        530.644.6048.

        Trailhead access is spotty in spring, so you'll want to find out
        where you can get into Desolation from. I seriously doubt the
        Wright's Lake road is open yet.

        --Rick

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "europa1057" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
        > How is the snow up in the Tahoe area right now? I am thinking of
        > heading up to Desolation Wilderness this weekend to give the Hex 2
        > snow camping workout, but I don't know how much snow there really
        > is. I read somewhere the other day that there is still 16" at 6000
        > ft, but I couldn't find out the exact date of the report. Do you
        > think it would be worth the trip? My other option is to head up to
        > the Shasta area, but I'd rather not drive that far if the snow is
        > still okay in Desolation.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Rebecca
      • europa1057
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2002
          You know, I wouldn't even get it if the snow level were at 200'!
          That's what I get living along the SF Bay.

          Now, I grew up in northern Michigan, and I think that my 20+ years
          living there gave me enough snow to last the rest of my life. I
          don't like living in it, but I sure like playing in it. That's
          what's great about where I live now - I can go to the snow by choice,
          ski or snowshoe or whatever, and then drive back home to the sun and
          warth during the rest of the week and not have to worry about
          shovelling out my driveway in time to get to work in the morning.

          And of course, the one time of year that I really want to live in the
          snow (christmas) I am back in Michigan visiting my family so I
          usually get enough. =)

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "David Anderson" <squtch@q...> wrote:
          > David Anderson writes:
          >
          > > Rebecca,
          > >
          > > You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it
          just
          > > snowed down to 200' again last weekend.
          >
          > Oops, must remember to proofread before I hit send. Make that
          2000'.

          > Dave
        • europa1057
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2002
            I've usually accessed it in the past via Echo Lakes. You can park at
            the SnoPark off of 50 and take it from there. Once you get past the
            lakes the people disappear and it can be a beautiful snow trip. Just
            have to know what areas to avoid because of avalanche blasting...

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:

            > Trailhead access is spotty in spring, so you'll want to find out
            > where you can get into Desolation from. I seriously doubt the
            > Wright's Lake road is open yet.
            >
            > --Rick

          • Ron Martino
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2002
              > > You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it just
              > > snowed down to 200' again last weekend.
              >
              > Oops, must remember to proofread before I hit send. Make that 2000'.
              >
              > Dave

              I'd believe 200'. Everything's lower in Washington.

              Ron, who has to laugh every time he goes over a pass in Washington,
              since they seem to all be lower elevation than the valley floor in
              Missoula...

              --

              yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
            • David Anderson
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                Ron Martino writes:
                > I'd believe 200'. Everything's lower in Washington.
                >
                > Ron, who has to laugh every time he goes over a pass in Washington,
                > since they seem to all be lower elevation than the valley floor in
                > Missoula...

                But our fourteeners are a hell of a lot taller than your's;-) Ours start
                much closer to sea level.

                I remember when I moved from Colorado Springs to Massachusetts, I would see
                all these cars with bumper stickers saying "this car survived the drive up
                Mt. Washington" and laughing at it being some sort of big deal to drive at
                6000 feet.

                My typo is kinda funny in a twisted sort of way. I live just at around 240'
                but whenever the snow level in the foothills drops below 1500' we get some.