Off topic (sort of) question for Dawn

  • europa1057
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      How is the snow up in the Tahoe area right now? I am thinking of
      heading up to Desolation Wilderness this weekend to give the Hex 2 a
      snow camping workout, but I don't know how much snow there really
      is. I read somewhere the other day that there is still 16" at 6000
      ft, but I couldn't find out the exact date of the report. Do you
      think it would be worth the trip? My other option is to head up to
      the Shasta area, but I'd rather not drive that far if the snow is
      still okay in Desolation.

      Thanks!
      Rebecca
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2002
        Rebecca,

        You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it just
        snowed down to 200' again last weekend.

        I cant give you a firsthand report on the snowpack but I did find this link
        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/ off of http://www.weather.gov/
        which I have become addicted to since I discoverd it. They actually worry
        more about giving you the actual up to date information instead of the
        pretty pictures. Not to mention they don't have ads.

        Hope it helps.

        Dave

        europa1057 writes:

        > How is the snow up in the Tahoe area right now? I am thinking of
        > heading up to Desolation Wilderness this weekend to give the Hex 2 a
        > snow camping workout, but I don't know how much snow there really
        > is. I read somewhere the other day that there is still 16" at 6000
        > ft, but I couldn't find out the exact date of the report. Do you
        > think it would be worth the trip? My other option is to head up to
        > the Shasta area, but I'd rather not drive that far if the snow is
        > still okay in Desolation.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Rebecca
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2002
          David Anderson writes:

          > Rebecca,
          >
          > You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it just
          > snowed down to 200' again last weekend.

          Oops, must remember to proofread before I hit send. Make that 2000'.

          Dave
        • redbike64
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2002
            Snow should be plentiful, in fact it's snowing up there today.

            For specific info, call the Forest Service office in Camino:
            530.644.6048.

            Trailhead access is spotty in spring, so you'll want to find out
            where you can get into Desolation from. I seriously doubt the
            Wright's Lake road is open yet.

            --Rick

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "europa1057" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
            > How is the snow up in the Tahoe area right now? I am thinking of
            > heading up to Desolation Wilderness this weekend to give the Hex 2
            > snow camping workout, but I don't know how much snow there really
            > is. I read somewhere the other day that there is still 16" at 6000
            > ft, but I couldn't find out the exact date of the report. Do you
            > think it would be worth the trip? My other option is to head up to
            > the Shasta area, but I'd rather not drive that far if the snow is
            > still okay in Desolation.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Rebecca
          • europa1057
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2002
              You know, I wouldn't even get it if the snow level were at 200'!
              That's what I get living along the SF Bay.

              Now, I grew up in northern Michigan, and I think that my 20+ years
              living there gave me enough snow to last the rest of my life. I
              don't like living in it, but I sure like playing in it. That's
              what's great about where I live now - I can go to the snow by choice,
              ski or snowshoe or whatever, and then drive back home to the sun and
              warth during the rest of the week and not have to worry about
              shovelling out my driveway in time to get to work in the morning.

              And of course, the one time of year that I really want to live in the
              snow (christmas) I am back in Michigan visiting my family so I
              usually get enough. =)

              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "David Anderson" <squtch@q...> wrote:
              > David Anderson writes:
              >
              > > Rebecca,
              > >
              > > You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it
              just
              > > snowed down to 200' again last weekend.
              >
              > Oops, must remember to proofread before I hit send. Make that
              2000'.

              > Dave
            • europa1057
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                I've usually accessed it in the past via Echo Lakes. You can park at
                the SnoPark off of 50 and take it from there. Once you get past the
                lakes the people disappear and it can be a beautiful snow trip. Just
                have to know what areas to avoid because of avalanche blasting...

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:

                > Trailhead access is spotty in spring, so you'll want to find out
                > where you can get into Desolation from. I seriously doubt the
                > Wright's Lake road is open yet.
                >
                > --Rick

              • Ron Martino
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                  > > You should come up here to WA, we have plenty of snow! In fact it just
                  > > snowed down to 200' again last weekend.
                  >
                  > Oops, must remember to proofread before I hit send. Make that 2000'.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  I'd believe 200'. Everything's lower in Washington.

                  Ron, who has to laugh every time he goes over a pass in Washington,
                  since they seem to all be lower elevation than the valley floor in
                  Missoula...

                  --

                  yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                • David Anderson
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                    Ron Martino writes:
                    > I'd believe 200'. Everything's lower in Washington.
                    >
                    > Ron, who has to laugh every time he goes over a pass in Washington,
                    > since they seem to all be lower elevation than the valley floor in
                    > Missoula...

                    But our fourteeners are a hell of a lot taller than your's;-) Ours start
                    much closer to sea level.

                    I remember when I moved from Colorado Springs to Massachusetts, I would see
                    all these cars with bumper stickers saying "this car survived the drive up
                    Mt. Washington" and laughing at it being some sort of big deal to drive at
                    6000 feet.

                    My typo is kinda funny in a twisted sort of way. I live just at around 240'
                    but whenever the snow level in the foothills drops below 1500' we get some.