Insect Repellant Questions

  • dawnhark
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Hi all, I'm thinking of applying for the Travel Medicine tests but
      first can anyone give me some feedback on the toxicity or dangerous
      side effects of the chemicals they use (permethrin, etc)?

      I try to stick with herbal-type repellants because it really grosses
      me out (and alarms me) to slather highly toxic stuff on my sweaty,
      open-pored skin. Also, I've never used any of the wash-in chemicals
      that last for weeks--sounds great on the one hand, scary on the
      other! Something that's effective for weeks must be pretty potent.

      Dawn, thinking this might be a heavy mosquito/biting fly year in the
      Sierra (last year was light)