field report - Swiss Army Knife Classic

  • Rami
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2002
      SWISS ARMY CLASSIC KNIFE
      Field Test Report

      Personal biographical information:

      Name: Rami Benhameda
      Age: 33
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" ( 1.8 m )
      Weight: 200lbs. ( 90.7 kg )
      Email address: rbenhameda@...
      City: Indianapolis, In.
      Date: 4-30-02

      Backpacking background:

      I've been hiking and backpacking in and around Central and Southern Indiana for the past 20 years. I've done section hikes, day hikes, kayak trips, mountain bike trips, off track, on track and nearly everything in-between. I love being outside and spend as much time as possible in the woods.

      Product Information:

      SWISS ARMY CLASSIC KNIFE (VICTORINOX)

      manufacturer:
      Victorinox
      Ibach, Switzerland
      Dist. through the Victorinox division of Swiss Army Brands Inc.
      65 Trap Falls
      Shelton, Ct. 06484-0874
      http://www.swissarmy.com

      Field Test Results (up to 3 months of use):

      I've been using the Swiss Army Classic as my "utility knife" exclusively since it arrived and I have discovered something about myself. My beefy paws require a somewhat more substantial handle to hold onto when using a knife. That said, I will be reporting from the bias of one who is used to a bigger knife and has never tried the "mini" road before. The classic consists of a blade, nail file with a screwdriver tip, a pair of scissors, a pair of tweezers, a tooth pick, and a small ring for attaching the knife to something else (presumably a key ring)

      I began carrying the Classic and instantly noticed a major difference. It is so small that it virtually disappears in my pocket. I'm used to being able to feel the weight of my knife against my leg all the time so this was something I wasn't expecting. After I got used to the lack of noticeable pocket weight, I became comfortable with finding the knife quickly without having to pull out the whole contents of my pocket. The knife was also attached to my key ring over the course of some of the preceding months. This proved to be a highly inconvenient technique for me. The knife is smaller than a normal key, and the blade opens toward the key ring rather than away from it which makes using the knife blade very awkward. The key ring thing only lasted a couple of days.

      The knife edge stays fairly sharp as long as it is maintained on a regular basis. If it is not honed regularly, though the edge will suffer within a couple of weekends. I have used the knife on cardboard, plastic, wood, paper, etc. I've opened boxes, opened plastic packages, carved and whittled cedar, cut paper, trimmed and filed fingernails, tightened and removed screws, pried batteries out of toys, and almost anything else I could imagine doing with it.

      My personal preference is a heavier, longer knife with a harder steel blade that locks, this knife did nothing to change my preference, but did not leave me wanting when I needed a knife either. When this test is over, I will probably go back to my bigger knife and this will become my wife's knife.

      -r