html hell

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 9:24 AM
      Can anybody tell me why my ID Siltarp 2 review is all one giant web
      link following the integraldesigns.com address? Is there an "off
      switch" that somehow didn't get thrown?

      Hrrumph.

      --Rick
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 9:43 AM
        > Can anybody tell me why my ID Siltarp 2 review is all one giant web
        > link following the integraldesigns.com address?

        Yes. Dave figured this out awhile back. Do you 'speak' HTML?

        > Is there an "off switch" that somehow didn't get thrown?

        > --Rick

        Sort of. You need to go to the page on Yahoo! Groups that leads
        to you review, and click on 'edit'. Scan down through the body of the
        file (the HTML code) until you find the link to Integral Designs. You'll
        notice that the start of the link tag is on one line, and the rest is on
        the next, like this -

        href="http://www.integraldesigns.com/">www.integraldesigns.com<u3:p></u3:p></span></p>

        You need to put a hard return /before/ the '<a' of the first line
        I quoted above. It should look something like this afterwards -

        Save your changes, click on the link to the review, REFRESH your
        browser so it reloads the page, and doesn't just pull up the older copy
        from memory. The run-on link should be fixed.

        Ron
        --

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • redbike64
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 11:46 AM
          Ron,

          Thanks for taking the time to respond.

          I'm almost perfectly unknowledgable of html, but believe I can follow
          your directions to make the necessary change. However, when I go to
          edit the file within Yahoo!, I only get the file path and title in
          their respective boxes, and no text. Is this a rights issue, or
          perhaps a browser setting (IE 5.5)?

          If I can't figure it out I'll edit the source document and repost.

          Thanks again,

          --Rick

          -- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Ron Martino <yumitori@m...> wrote:

          > > Can anybody tell me why my ID Siltarp 2 review is all one giant
          web
          > > link following the integraldesigns.com address?
          >
          > Yes. Dave figured this out awhile back. Do you 'speak' HTML?
          >
          > > Is there an "off switch" that somehow didn't get thrown?
          >
          > > --Rick
          >
          > Sort of. You need to go to the page on Yahoo! Groups that
          leads
          > to you review, and click on 'edit'. Scan down through the body of
          the
          > file (the HTML code) until you find the link to Integral Designs.
          You'll
          > notice that the start of the link tag is on one line, and the rest
          is on
          > the next, like this -

          Style"'>Web: <a

          href="http://www.integraldesigns.com/">www.integraldesigns.com<u3:p></
          u3:p></span></p>

          > You need to put a hard return /before/ the '<a' of the first
          line
          > I quoted above. It should look something like this afterwards -

          Style"'>Web:
          > <a
          href="http://www.integraldesigns.com/">www.integraldesigns.com<u3:p></
          u3:p></span></p>

          > Save your changes, click on the link to the review, REFRESH
          your
          > browser so it reloads the page, and doesn't just pull up the older
          copy
          > from memory. The run-on link should be fixed.
          >
          > Ron
          > --
          >
          > yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • Ron Martino
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30 1:23 PM
            > I'm almost perfectly unknowledgable of html, but believe I can follow
            > your directions to make the necessary change. However, when I go to
            > edit the file within Yahoo!, I only get the file path and title in
            > their respective boxes, and no text. Is this a rights issue, or
            > perhaps a browser setting (IE 5.5)?
            >
            > If I can't figure it out I'll edit the source document and repost.
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > --Rick

            Okay, I've done some more checking. For some reason Yahoo! won't let us
            edit this file. I can edit (at least some) files other folks have
            uploaded, but not this one.

            What you will have to do is edit the source document as you suggested.
            Put the hard return in in the same place I suggested in my earlier
            message, save it with a slightly different name, and upload the renamed
            file. Once you've confirmed it works properly, delete the other. You'll
            have to come up with another name because Yahoo! won't let you overwrite
            a file by the same name (probably a good rule of thumb), and I'd rather
            you insure the new one is in place before removing the old one, just in
            case.

            Ron
            --

            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          • Mara Factor
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2002
              You cannot edit your report "in" Yahoo! You must edit the file on your own
              machine, delete the old Yahoo! file, and upload the newly edited file.

              Mara

              >From: "redbike64" <richard.dreher@...>
              >Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:46:32 -0000

              >I'm almost perfectly unknowledgable of html, but believe I can follow
              >your directions to make the necessary change. However, when I go to
              >edit the file within Yahoo!, I only get the file path and title in
              >their respective boxes, and no text. Is this a rights issue, or
              >perhaps a browser setting (IE 5.5)?

            • asabatpct
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Mara Factor" <m_factor@h...> wrote:
                > You cannot edit your report "in" Yahoo! You must edit the file on
                your own
                > machine, delete the old Yahoo! file, and upload the newly edited
                file.

                ??????????????

                I edit my files in Yahoo all the time. Go to your file area and
                there's an "edit" option. This opens the file in a text editor. Of
                course, you'll need to know HTML to do this.

                It works for me when I need to correct a typo after posting when I'm
                away from home. (I also use it to update my monitor status report
                files.)

                Bill Jeffrey
              • Helen Hillberg
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                  Hi Rick,

                  When you upload your ID Siltarp review take a look at your Gregory Reality and ID Primaliner reports - they've been yahoo-ed too. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

                  Helen

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                    Cool! As far as I can tell, that was not always a capability in Yahoo! I
                    just haven't needed to edit anything in many months and hadn't noticed the
                    change.

                    The Edit button was always there, but only for file name and description.

                    Mara