Re: [backpackgeartest] Seychelle Test Results

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
      From: Mark Smythe
      To: backpackgeartest@egroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 5:21 PM
      Subject: [backpackgeartest] Seychelle Test Results
      The test is simple. Add about 2 drops
      of dye to each cup of unfiltered water and let your filter do it's
      thing. If the water resulting on the other side is still blue you
      have a problem. I have used this test for many years with several
      types of filters which all claim to remove Gardia (at least). I
      don't know the particle size of blue dye but a good filer always
      removed the color on the output side. The Seychelle filter did not
      remove the blue color.

      This got interesting. I went to the store, bought some blue food dye, and tried this test. Sure enough, the Seychelle passed the blue water...but then so did my SafeWaterAnywhere in line filter as did my Sweetwater Guardian and my Pur Voyageur. The Pur doesn't have the carbon final filter on it as they aren't shipping the new ones yet and I round filed my old one. Could the dye provided you be something other than food coloring? Thinking about it, I would be surprised if any of them filtered out dye. That would require filtering down to molecule level, I think. Could be wrong. The reason given for the removable filter element is the replacement filter is cheaper than the entire unit.

      I also noticed after both tests that
      there was a small amount of grey or black sediment in the water that
      did not exist before. This indicates that water may have been
      leaking around the filter or the filter is for some reason
      defective.

      I had the same O ring experience you did. Fortunately, I had an old Seychelle and robbed the O ring out of it. I'm not overly concerned about the black sediment to start with. That is quite common with new filter of all types. My Pur never did stop doing that, but then that is another story...lol.

      Let me know if I've done something wrong in the dye test. The O ring worried me too.

      Jerry

    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
        I had thought I was on the list to get a filter, but I haven't gotten one
        yet. I don't know if everyone already has theirs or not, but I'm wondering if
        I'm still on the tester list, because I have a trip planned for the last
        weekend in September, and I'd love to try out the filter then!
        Jennifer
        >^,,^<

        The filters were sent UPS from CA. The people on the West Coast are receiveing their filters quite abit sooner than the East Coast. Apearently, UPS tossed the boxes out in the parking lot and hoped a passing tourist picked them up and delevered them. I'll be playing in the woods until Friday. If you haven't received your filter by then I'll ask Seychelle to put a trace on them.

        Jerry

      • Mark Smythe
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2000
          This got interesting. I went to the store, bought some blue food dye,
          and tried this test. Sure enough, the Seychelle passed the blue
          water...but then so did my SafeWaterAnywhere in line filter as did my
          Sweetwater Guardian and my Pur Voyageur. The Pur doesn't have the
          carbon final filter on it as they aren't shipping the new ones yet
          and I round filed my old one. Could the dye provided you be something
          other than food coloring? Thinking about it, I would be surprised if
          any of them filtered out dye. That would require filtering down to
          molecule level, I think. Could be wrong. The reason given for the
          removable filter element is the replacement filter is cheaper than
          the entire unit.
          The instructions I used were for the "First Need" model from General
          Ecology. Here they are exactly:

          Canister Integrity Test Procedure: (Blue food dye included with unit)

          A simple test to assure that the canister has not been damaged
          internally, either during use, transport or backwash is to:
          1. Add a couple drops (no more) of ordinary red, green or blue food
          coloring to a glass of water.
          2. Pump this solution through the canister.
          3. The filtered water should be colorless.
          If the filtered water is still colored, even faintly, the internal
          canister matrix has most likely been damaged and the microfilter
          should not be relied upon uner this condition and must be relaced.

          They(General Ecology) seem to indicate that going to the store and
          buying these color of food dyes should have the same results as the
          food coloring supplied which is labeled food grade food coloring.
          Did you put more than 2 drops in for each 8oz of water? I have used
          this test on my First Need and on my Sweetwater Guardian and they
          take all the color out. Maybe there are different food colorings
          that have different particle sizes?? I'll check with the store
          bought coloring in my cabinet and see if there is a difference and
          let you know. Mark

          I also noticed after both tests that
          there was a small amount of grey or black sediment in the water
          that
          did not exist before. This indicates that water may have been
          leaking around the filter or the filter is for some reason
          defective.

          I had the same O ring experience you did. Fortunately, I had an old
          Seychelle and robbed the O ring out of it. I'm not overly concerned
          about the black sediment to start with. That is quite common with new
          filter of all types. My Pur never did stop doing that, but then that
          is another story...lol.

          Let me know if I've done something wrong in the dye test. The O ring
          worried me too.

          The O-ring is a special concern with this design. Usually they won't
          get damaged like that if the design is sound and the user doesn't do
          anything dumb. Some instructions from the manufacturer might help.
          I don't have the O-ring worry with my other filters as there is no
          assembly required that could provide a "blow by" path for the water.
          Mark
        • artcloutmn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2000
            In a message dated 9/11/00 9:48:08 PM, the-stanleys@... writes:

            << I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed directly
            against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic (or other
            rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-ring sealed
            against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing pressure is
            applied must be rigid) >>

            I received a filter today. The o ring does not contact the filter
            element. It is pressed between two plastic parts of the case that contains
            the filter element. The two parts are threaded together.

            Instructions that came with the unit explain that a full water bladder's
            supply of water should pass through the filter before it should be used for
            drinking water. This should flush out any particles or discoloration. I
            have not tried this.
            It may take me a little time before I am in a possition to use the filter
            on the trail since I am recovering from knee injuries caused by my last
            backpack in the Whites. My therapist says maybe if I stay on flat trails I
            can go on a hike soon, but that's no fun. (Yes it is! It sure beats no
            hiking at all.)

            Art
          • Gear Tester
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 14, 2000