Re: [backpackgeartest] Seychelle Test Results

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
      From: Mark Smythe
      To: backpackgeartest@egroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 5:21 PM
      Subject: [backpackgeartest] Seychelle Test Results

      I had an opportunity this weekend to try out the Seychelle filter
      this weekend that arrived on Friday. Unfortunately I ran into
      problems within the first hour. I will write a more detailed review
      tonight but I wanted to hilight what I ran into and ask that other
      testers watch for the same problem.
      Other testers should consider this test also. If results are not the
      same as mine, I would lean toward the possibility that my filter is
      damaged, either from the factory or from my handling. Maybe Gerry
      could also get some feedback from the factory.

      Mark

      Thanks for the report, Mark. I forwarded it to Seychelle. I'll run the same test on mine but I noticed the same O ring problem on the new one I got. The old one didn't have this problem but I received it as one piece at the SLC show.

      Jerry

    • Robert Stanley
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
        >I decided to not remove the element again as it is quite fragile when
        > wet and it is difficult to turn with hand pressure without squeezing
        > the fragile element material.

        Hi, Im not in the filter test group and have no hands on knowledge of the
        filter being tested, but being a Heavy Equip mechanic, and being very
        familiar with hydraulics and o-rings -

        I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed directly
        against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic (or other
        rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-ring sealed
        against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing pressure is
        applied must be rigid)

        If there is no rigid core to take the pressure of a reliable o-ring seal,
        and the o-ring seats directly against (and applies pressure upon) the
        "fragile when wet" filter element, there most likely will be a seal failure
        where the 0-ring and element meet as soon as the element becomes wet and
        malable.

        For an o-ring seal to work - both sides of the unit that the o-ring seals
        against must be rigid enough (at all times) to compress the o-ring
        adequately for the pressure being applied. If at any time either side of the
        seal becomes weaker than the pressure applied a failure will result.

        If this is the situation then I would hazard a guess (and thats all it would
        be) that there is a serious design flaw...

        Again this is just a thought, maybe one of our testers could look and see
        what they think.

        Best of luck, you lucky testers!!!

        Rob Stanley
      • Mark Smythe
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
          Robert, The filter element is mounted to a plastic base that has a
          threaded protrusion that mates with the housing. The O-ring is below
          (above?) the threads and above the base on the protrusion (wish I
          could draw it). Anyway it appears to be designed OK. I work in an
          industry also where O-rings are used extensively. One possibility is
          that it may be possible to overtighten the filter easily and compress
          the O-ring to failure. We'll see what Seychelle has to say. The
          design certainly depends on the user assembling the filter correcty
          the first time. I don't believe once you have it together it should
          ever be taken apart again except for element replacement and new O-
          ring.

          Mark

          --- In backpackgeartest@egroups.com, "Robert Stanley" <the-
          stanleys@h...> wrote:
          > >I decided to not remove the element again as it is quite fragile
          when
          > > wet and it is difficult to turn with hand pressure without
          squeezing
          > > the fragile element material.
          >

          > Hi, Im not in the filter test group and have no hands on knowledge
          of the
          > filter being tested, but being a Heavy Equip mechanic, and being
          very
          > familiar with hydraulics and o-rings -
          >
          > I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed
          directly
          > against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic
          (or other
          > rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-
          ring sealed
          > against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing
          pressure is
          > applied must be rigid)
          >
          > If there is no rigid core to take the pressure of a reliable o-ring
          seal,
          > and the o-ring seats directly against (and applies pressure upon)
          the
          > "fragile when wet" filter element, there most likely will be a seal
          failure
          > where the 0-ring and element meet as soon as the element becomes
          wet and
          > malable.

        • Gear Tester
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
              I had thought I was on the list to get a filter, but I haven't gotten one
              yet. I don't know if everyone already has theirs or not, but I'm wondering if
              I'm still on the tester list, because I have a trip planned for the last
              weekend in September, and I'd love to try out the filter then!
              Jennifer
              >^,,^<

              The filters were sent UPS from CA. The people on the West Coast are receiveing their filters quite abit sooner than the East Coast. Apearently, UPS tossed the boxes out in the parking lot and hoped a passing tourist picked them up and delevered them. I'll be playing in the woods until Friday. If you haven't received your filter by then I'll ask Seychelle to put a trace on them.

              Jerry

            • Mark Smythe
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2000
                This got interesting. I went to the store, bought some blue food dye,
                and tried this test. Sure enough, the Seychelle passed the blue
                water...but then so did my SafeWaterAnywhere in line filter as did my
                Sweetwater Guardian and my Pur Voyageur. The Pur doesn't have the
                carbon final filter on it as they aren't shipping the new ones yet
                and I round filed my old one. Could the dye provided you be something
                other than food coloring? Thinking about it, I would be surprised if
                any of them filtered out dye. That would require filtering down to
                molecule level, I think. Could be wrong. The reason given for the
                removable filter element is the replacement filter is cheaper than
                the entire unit.
                The instructions I used were for the "First Need" model from General
                Ecology. Here they are exactly:

                Canister Integrity Test Procedure: (Blue food dye included with unit)

                A simple test to assure that the canister has not been damaged
                internally, either during use, transport or backwash is to:
                1. Add a couple drops (no more) of ordinary red, green or blue food
                coloring to a glass of water.
                2. Pump this solution through the canister.
                3. The filtered water should be colorless.
                If the filtered water is still colored, even faintly, the internal
                canister matrix has most likely been damaged and the microfilter
                should not be relied upon uner this condition and must be relaced.

                They(General Ecology) seem to indicate that going to the store and
                buying these color of food dyes should have the same results as the
                food coloring supplied which is labeled food grade food coloring.
                Did you put more than 2 drops in for each 8oz of water? I have used
                this test on my First Need and on my Sweetwater Guardian and they
                take all the color out. Maybe there are different food colorings
                that have different particle sizes?? I'll check with the store
                bought coloring in my cabinet and see if there is a difference and
                let you know. Mark

                I also noticed after both tests that
                there was a small amount of grey or black sediment in the water
                that
                did not exist before. This indicates that water may have been
                leaking around the filter or the filter is for some reason
                defective.

                I had the same O ring experience you did. Fortunately, I had an old
                Seychelle and robbed the O ring out of it. I'm not overly concerned
                about the black sediment to start with. That is quite common with new
                filter of all types. My Pur never did stop doing that, but then that
                is another story...lol.

                Let me know if I've done something wrong in the dye test. The O ring
                worried me too.

                The O-ring is a special concern with this design. Usually they won't
                get damaged like that if the design is sound and the user doesn't do
                anything dumb. Some instructions from the manufacturer might help.
                I don't have the O-ring worry with my other filters as there is no
                assembly required that could provide a "blow by" path for the water.
                Mark
              • artcloutmn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2000
                  In a message dated 9/11/00 9:48:08 PM, the-stanleys@... writes:

                  << I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed directly
                  against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic (or other
                  rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-ring sealed
                  against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing pressure is
                  applied must be rigid) >>

                  I received a filter today. The o ring does not contact the filter
                  element. It is pressed between two plastic parts of the case that contains
                  the filter element. The two parts are threaded together.

                  Instructions that came with the unit explain that a full water bladder's
                  supply of water should pass through the filter before it should be used for
                  drinking water. This should flush out any particles or discoloration. I
                  have not tried this.
                  It may take me a little time before I am in a possition to use the filter
                  on the trail since I am recovering from knee injuries caused by my last
                  backpack in the Whites. My therapist says maybe if I stay on flat trails I
                  can go on a hike soon, but that's no fun. (Yes it is! It sure beats no
                  hiking at all.)

                  Art
                • Gear Tester
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 14, 2000