Re: [backpackgeartest] Seychelle Test Results

  • TrueCatLover@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
      I had thought I was on the list to get a filter, but I haven't gotten one
      yet. I don't know if everyone already has theirs or not, but I'm wondering if
      I'm still on the tester list, because I have a trip planned for the last
      weekend in September, and I'd love to try out the filter then!
      Jennifer
      >^,,^<
    • Critical Payne
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
        I also was on the list but have not yet received the filter. Perhaps they
        were not all sent at the same time . . .

        Stephen

        "We sure liberated the hell out of this place."
        -- GI entering the rubble of St. Lo, France, 1944
        * http://webpub.alleg.edu/student/p/paynes/war.html *
        * WW II Pictures, Essays, Information, and More *
      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
            >I decided to not remove the element again as it is quite fragile when
            > wet and it is difficult to turn with hand pressure without squeezing
            > the fragile element material.

            Hi, Im not in the filter test group and have no hands on knowledge of the
            filter being tested, but being a Heavy Equip mechanic, and being very
            familiar with hydraulics and o-rings -

            I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed directly
            against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic (or other
            rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-ring sealed
            against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing pressure is
            applied must be rigid)

            If there is no rigid core to take the pressure of a reliable o-ring seal,
            and the o-ring seats directly against (and applies pressure upon) the
            "fragile when wet" filter element, there most likely will be a seal failure
            where the 0-ring and element meet as soon as the element becomes wet and
            malable.

            For an o-ring seal to work - both sides of the unit that the o-ring seals
            against must be rigid enough (at all times) to compress the o-ring
            adequately for the pressure being applied. If at any time either side of the
            seal becomes weaker than the pressure applied a failure will result.

            If this is the situation then I would hazard a guess (and thats all it would
            be) that there is a serious design flaw...

            Again this is just a thought, maybe one of our testers could look and see
            what they think.

            Best of luck, you lucky testers!!!

            Rob Stanley
          • Mark Smythe
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
              Robert, The filter element is mounted to a plastic base that has a
              threaded protrusion that mates with the housing. The O-ring is below
              (above?) the threads and above the base on the protrusion (wish I
              could draw it). Anyway it appears to be designed OK. I work in an
              industry also where O-rings are used extensively. One possibility is
              that it may be possible to overtighten the filter easily and compress
              the O-ring to failure. We'll see what Seychelle has to say. The
              design certainly depends on the user assembling the filter correcty
              the first time. I don't believe once you have it together it should
              ever be taken apart again except for element replacement and new O-
              ring.

              Mark

              --- In backpackgeartest@egroups.com, "Robert Stanley" <the-
              stanleys@h...> wrote:
              > >I decided to not remove the element again as it is quite fragile
              when
              > > wet and it is difficult to turn with hand pressure without
              squeezing
              > > the fragile element material.
              >

              > Hi, Im not in the filter test group and have no hands on knowledge
              of the
              > filter being tested, but being a Heavy Equip mechanic, and being
              very
              > familiar with hydraulics and o-rings -
              >
              > I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed
              directly
              > against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic
              (or other
              > rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-
              ring sealed
              > against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing
              pressure is
              > applied must be rigid)
              >
              > If there is no rigid core to take the pressure of a reliable o-ring
              seal,
              > and the o-ring seats directly against (and applies pressure upon)
              the
              > "fragile when wet" filter element, there most likely will be a seal
              failure
              > where the 0-ring and element meet as soon as the element becomes
              wet and
              > malable.

            • Gear Tester
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2000
                  I had thought I was on the list to get a filter, but I haven't gotten one
                  yet. I don't know if everyone already has theirs or not, but I'm wondering if
                  I'm still on the tester list, because I have a trip planned for the last
                  weekend in September, and I'd love to try out the filter then!
                  Jennifer
                  >^,,^<

                  The filters were sent UPS from CA. The people on the West Coast are receiveing their filters quite abit sooner than the East Coast. Apearently, UPS tossed the boxes out in the parking lot and hoped a passing tourist picked them up and delevered them. I'll be playing in the woods until Friday. If you haven't received your filter by then I'll ask Seychelle to put a trace on them.

                  Jerry

                • Mark Smythe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2000
                    This got interesting. I went to the store, bought some blue food dye,
                    and tried this test. Sure enough, the Seychelle passed the blue
                    water...but then so did my SafeWaterAnywhere in line filter as did my
                    Sweetwater Guardian and my Pur Voyageur. The Pur doesn't have the
                    carbon final filter on it as they aren't shipping the new ones yet
                    and I round filed my old one. Could the dye provided you be something
                    other than food coloring? Thinking about it, I would be surprised if
                    any of them filtered out dye. That would require filtering down to
                    molecule level, I think. Could be wrong. The reason given for the
                    removable filter element is the replacement filter is cheaper than
                    the entire unit.
                    The instructions I used were for the "First Need" model from General
                    Ecology. Here they are exactly:

                    Canister Integrity Test Procedure: (Blue food dye included with unit)

                    A simple test to assure that the canister has not been damaged
                    internally, either during use, transport or backwash is to:
                    1. Add a couple drops (no more) of ordinary red, green or blue food
                    coloring to a glass of water.
                    2. Pump this solution through the canister.
                    3. The filtered water should be colorless.
                    If the filtered water is still colored, even faintly, the internal
                    canister matrix has most likely been damaged and the microfilter
                    should not be relied upon uner this condition and must be relaced.

                    They(General Ecology) seem to indicate that going to the store and
                    buying these color of food dyes should have the same results as the
                    food coloring supplied which is labeled food grade food coloring.
                    Did you put more than 2 drops in for each 8oz of water? I have used
                    this test on my First Need and on my Sweetwater Guardian and they
                    take all the color out. Maybe there are different food colorings
                    that have different particle sizes?? I'll check with the store
                    bought coloring in my cabinet and see if there is a difference and
                    let you know. Mark

                    I also noticed after both tests that
                    there was a small amount of grey or black sediment in the water
                    that
                    did not exist before. This indicates that water may have been
                    leaking around the filter or the filter is for some reason
                    defective.

                    I had the same O ring experience you did. Fortunately, I had an old
                    Seychelle and robbed the O ring out of it. I'm not overly concerned
                    about the black sediment to start with. That is quite common with new
                    filter of all types. My Pur never did stop doing that, but then that
                    is another story...lol.

                    Let me know if I've done something wrong in the dye test. The O ring
                    worried me too.

                    The O-ring is a special concern with this design. Usually they won't
                    get damaged like that if the design is sound and the user doesn't do
                    anything dumb. Some instructions from the manufacturer might help.
                    I don't have the O-ring worry with my other filters as there is no
                    assembly required that could provide a "blow by" path for the water.
                    Mark
                  • artcloutmn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2000
                      In a message dated 9/11/00 9:48:08 PM, the-stanleys@... writes:

                      << I was wondering if in the Seychelle unit - the o-ring sealed directly
                      against the filter "material" or if there was some sort of plastic (or other
                      rigid material) used as a core to the filter element that the o-ring sealed
                      against? (also the opposing end of the filter - where housing pressure is
                      applied must be rigid) >>

                      I received a filter today. The o ring does not contact the filter
                      element. It is pressed between two plastic parts of the case that contains
                      the filter element. The two parts are threaded together.

                      Instructions that came with the unit explain that a full water bladder's
                      supply of water should pass through the filter before it should be used for
                      drinking water. This should flush out any particles or discoloration. I
                      have not tried this.
                      It may take me a little time before I am in a possition to use the filter
                      on the trail since I am recovering from knee injuries caused by my last
                      backpack in the Whites. My therapist says maybe if I stay on flat trails I
                      can go on a hike soon, but that's no fun. (Yes it is! It sure beats no
                      hiking at all.)

                      Art
                    • Gear Tester
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 14, 2000