Re: Owner Review - Chaco Z/2 sandals

  • europa1057
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
      I actually noticed that the other day when I was looking at their
      website (dreaming about the next pair I am going to get), but when I
      purchased mine they had the slash in the name. I looked at the box
      they came in and it says 'Z/2 Samba' (Samba being the webbing
      pattern). Maybe they've changed their naming conventions...

      > By the way, the website lists it as the Z2, not the Z/2.

    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
        And people wonder why we only want the link to the manufacturers home page
        instead of the gear's actual page. If they don't keep their names consistant
        you know they are going to change around the web site too.

        The Z/2 might even be the new name. I noticed on their web site that they
        have a "what's new for 2001" link so that info might be old.

        Sigh. I guess it really doesn't matter if they can't decide. Leave it or
        change it, it's up to you.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
          ~~jumping up and down, hand raised high above my head~~
          Oooh pick me for that test! Pick me! Pleeeeaaaassssseee?? =)

          I made the change in my report. I'll wait a little longer for
          feedback before I upload.

          Thanks!

          -- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@m...> wrote:
          > I've been talking to them, off and on, for about a year. They were
          > interested at the OR Show. We'll see. I'll be approaching them in
          the
          > next month or so. Minor point, but a pet peeve of mine. Unique is an
          > absolute. There are no degrees of uniqueness. It's like being
          > pregnant.....you either are or you aren't...... ;o)
          > Jerry

        • Aushiker
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
            Hi Rebecca

            Thanks for the glowing report on the sandals. I haven't come across this
            brand before, so will keep an eye out for them. That said I have few
            questions which I would appreciate your comments on (and which you might to
            consider including in your report):

            (a) Do you have the weight of the sandals and i guess the size you wear? So
            that there is a relationship between the weight and size;

            (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly interested
            in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip well
            under these circumstances?

            (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your experience
            with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to remove the
            smell?

            Thanks
            Andrew

            --
            Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

            Get paid for responding to and receiving relevant email and/or SMS messages
            - pureprofile by Australia Post
            http://www.pureprofile.com.au/entry.asp?P=750740385
          • David Anderson
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
              Comments below from someone who doesn't own a pair . . . yet.

              Aushiker writes:
              > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly interested
              > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip well
              > under these circumstances?

              They have 3 different soles available. I imagine the vibram sole would be
              the prefered sole for backpacking. but if river crossings are more of a
              concern, I would recommend going with the five-ten soles. That stuff is just
              plain sticky.

              > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your experience
              > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to remove the
              > smell?

              Smelly Teva's is one of my area's of true expertise!

              First, if you wear socks with them every fourth day they tend to do a good
              job of cleaning off all the sweat and gunk, greatly increasing the time
              between washings. Then when they just get nasty with all that sweaty dirt,
              you soak them for about an hour, then get a stiff brush and some soap and
              just scrub away at them.

              And the final trick is to go down to a dive or kayak shop (at least up in
              the states) and get a product called "Sink the Stink"
              http://www.sinkthestink.com (the link isn't working for me right now) and
              you soak your tevas in the tub with some of this stuff and the critters in
              this stuff eat the critters living on your tevas that cause the smell. It's
              also real good for polypro, and not suprisingly, neoprene.

              Dave
            • Aushiker
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                Hi Dave

                Thanks for the comments on cleaning the Tevas. I will keep the details for
                when (or if) I get some sandals. However my question remains in respect of
                the Chacos. I have only ever heard of the problem with Tevas. Therefore I
                am wondering if the problem also exists with other brands and in this case
                the Chacos.

                On the soles, again, I am still interested in how they handle river
                crossings etc. This information is helpful in making compromise decisions.
                Also then of course raises the question of wear rates (I think this was
                touched on in the report).

                Cheers
                Andrew

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                  > (a) Do you have the weight of the sandals and i guess the size you
                  wear? So
                  > that there is a relationship between the weight and size;

                  Thanks for mentioning that, I don't know why I forgot that info.
                  Chaco's sandals only come in whole sizes, so I wear a women's size 9
                  (although I am usually an 8.5). The average weight that Chaco gives
                  for the Z/2s with the Vibram soles is 1 lb 5 oz, and unfortunately my
                  electronic scale is on the fritz right now and I can't get a specific
                  reading for mine. Once I can get it, I'll include it in my report.

                  > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly
                  interested
                  > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip
                  well
                  > under these circumstances?

                  Yes, I feel much safer in these than I have ever felt in any other
                  sandal. My tevas tend to slip around on wet and/or rocky surfaces,
                  and I haven't had that experience with the Chacos at all. The Vibram
                  soles have deep treads like a boot, so it's a similar grip. The 5.10
                  sticky rubber soles would provide more traction on rock, but probably
                  not for over-all hiking.

                  > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your
                  experience
                  > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to
                  remove the
                  > smell?

                  They got smelly at the end of last summer and it was my intent to
                  wash them as chaco suggests, with an old toothbrush and baking soda.
                  I wore them infrequently during the winter months so I never really
                  got to it. So this evening (I inspired myself by writing the review)
                  I scrubbed them for a while with baking soda. They are sparkling
                  clean and have no noticable odor. I should mention, however, that
                  the odor faded quickly when I ceased my daily barefoot use of them
                  when the rain and cold started.

                  Hope the information is useful!

                  Rebecca
                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                    Excellent review. I've had a pair of Z2's with Terrino
                    soles since September. Outstanding comfort, Tevas are
                    not in the same class. I use mine for everyday wear,
                    as well as hiking and kayaking. You can now easily get
                    a variety of soles and widths, as mentioned. I have a
                    size 11 wide.

                    One question. Do you find you're constantly
                    readjusting the toe loop? I can't seem to find the
                    ideal setting, so that I don't have to rejigger the
                    straps every day.
                    -Rob

                    --- europa1057 <europa1057@...> wrote:
                    > Hi everyone,
                    >

                    > Chaco Z/2 Sandals

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • Rob
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                      Maintaining my dignity, calmly raising my hand while
                      I whack her in the knee with a Leki...
                      --- europa1057 <europa1057@...> wrote:
                      > ~~jumping up and down, hand raised high above my
                      > head~~
                      > Oooh pick me for that test! Pick me!
                      > Pleeeeaaaassssseee?? =)

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    • europa1057
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                        I'm not doing it as much as I used to. When I first got them I
                        wasn't used to feeling a strap around my toe (10 years of teva use),
                        so it took me a while to figure out what felt 'just right', Now they
                        are set so that I don't have to do much readjustment. The only times
                        I do serious strap readjustments is when I want to wear socks with
                        them and pull the toe strap flat. It always take a little fooling
                        around to get the toe back to exactly how I like it after doing
                        that.

                        Related to this is something I should include in my report: My
                        husband purchased a pair shortly after I got mine. He says the toe
                        strap sometimes bothers him because it pulls on the hairs on his toe
                        and he has to loosen the straps. I'm not as hairy as him so I
                        haven't had that problem. =)

                        Rebecca

                        > One question. Do you find you're constantly
                        > readjusting the toe loop? I can't seem to find the
                        > ideal setting, so that I don't have to rejigger the
                        > straps every day.
                      • Rob
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                          Andrew, here's my 1.5 cents. I'll answer 'a' when I
                          get home to my weight sheet.
                          --- Aushiker <apriest@...> wrote:
                          > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack?
                          > Particularly interested
                          > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc.
                          > Do they grip well
                          > under these circumstances?

                          My first hike with these was from Amicolala state park
                          to Neel's Gap on the AT in GA, about 36 miles. 34
                          pound pack, alot of PUDs. No trouble whatsoever. They
                          felt better than my Raidwinds w/superfeet inserts.
                          I've only dealt with a couple creek crossings so far,
                          no slippage. Ive a lot more time walking in surf, but
                          probably not what you're looking for.

                          > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling.
                          > What is your experience
                          > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you
                          > been able to remove the
                          > smell?

                          No trouble yet. I've only had them about 6 months, but
                          I wear them constantly.

                          -Rob

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                        • Rob
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                            LOL!! I should have mentioned that. That is one of the
                            reasons I keep readjusting the loop. I actually yanked
                            out a patch of hair last month. My fault, I saw that
                            the hair was caught betwen hte straps, but I was
                            running late. Took a week to heal. You can't see the
                            bald spot, 'cause my feet look like I treat them with
                            Rogaine...
                            --- europa1057 <europa1057@...> wrote:

                            > Related to this is something I should include in my
                            > report: My
                            > husband purchased a pair shortly after I got mine.
                            > He says the toe
                            > strap sometimes bothers him because it pulls on the
                            > hairs on his toe
                            > and he has to loosen the straps. I'm not as hairy
                            > as him so I
                            > haven't had that problem. =)
                            >
                            > Rebecca
                            >
                            > > One question. Do you find you're constantly
                            > > readjusting the toe loop? I can't seem to find the
                            > > ideal setting, so that I don't have to rejigger
                            > the
                            > > straps every day.

                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                          • Aushiker
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                              Hi Rebecca

                              Thanks for your responses. Just the sort of information I need. The Vibram
                              soles sound ok for the odd river crossing etc whilst backpacking.

                              Regards
                              Andrew

                              At 12:15 PM 03/04/2002, you wrote:

                              > > (a) Do you have the weight of the sandals and i guess the size you
                              >wear? So
                              > > that there is a relationship between the weight and size;
                              >
                              >Thanks for mentioning that, I don't know why I forgot that info.
                              >Chaco's sandals only come in whole sizes, so I wear a women's size 9
                              >(although I am usually an 8.5). The average weight that Chaco gives
                              >for the Z/2s with the Vibram soles is 1 lb 5 oz, and unfortunately my
                              >electronic scale is on the fritz right now and I can't get a specific
                              >reading for mine. Once I can get it, I'll include it in my report.
                              >
                              > > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly
                              >interested
                              > > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip
                              >well
                              > > under these circumstances?
                              >
                              >Yes, I feel much safer in these than I have ever felt in any other
                              >sandal. My tevas tend to slip around on wet and/or rocky surfaces,
                              >and I haven't had that experience with the Chacos at all. The Vibram
                              >soles have deep treads like a boot, so it's a similar grip. The 5.10
                              >sticky rubber soles would provide more traction on rock, but probably
                              >not for over-all hiking.
                              >
                              > > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your
                              >experience
                              > > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to
                              >remove the
                              > > smell?
                              >
                              >They got smelly at the end of last summer and it was my intent to
                              >wash them as chaco suggests, with an old toothbrush and baking soda.
                              >I wore them infrequently during the winter months so I never really
                              >got to it. So this evening (I inspired myself by writing the review)
                              >I scrubbed them for a while with baking soda. They are sparkling
                              >clean and have no noticable odor. I should mention, however, that
                              >the odor faded quickly when I ceased my daily barefoot use of them
                              >when the rain and cold started.
                              >
                              >Hope the information is useful!
                              >
                              >Rebecca

                              Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

                              Get paid for responding to and receiving relevant email and/or SMS messages
                              - pureprofile by Australia Post
                              http://www.pureprofile.com.au/entry.asp?P=750740385
                            • aushiker
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                Hi Rob

                                Thanks for your comments as well. Actually would be interested in your surf experience as well, as (a) Perth is a beach side city :-) and (b) we are planing a week on the Cape to Cape Track later this year which invovles a lot of beach walking...

                                Thanks
                                Andrew

                                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Rob <dekkerd@r...> wrote:
                                Ive a lot more time walking in surf, but
                                > probably not what you're looking for.
                                > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                              • Rob
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                  OK,

                                  For beachcombing, I can never get Tevas tight enough,
                                  sand gets in between the straps and skin, and
                                  irritates. I'm not talking about the sole and foot,
                                  you'll get sand there one way or the other. I have no
                                  trouble with Chacos letting sand in.
                                  Now for, say, dragging a kayak onto the beach, chacos
                                  still rule. The straps on my Tevas always seem to
                                  loosen, and I'm afraid I'll lose one to the 'suck
                                  factor' of the tide. almost as bad is when the sandal
                                  'sticks' when you go to step into the kayak. The
                                  Chacos just feel like part of my foot. I don't know if
                                  chacos float like Tevas. I'll test that in the
                                  morning.
                                  -Rob
                                  --- aushiker <apriest@...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Rob
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for your comments as well. Actually would be
                                  > interested in your surf experience as well, as (a)
                                  > Perth is a beach side city :-) and (b) we are
                                  > planing a week on the Cape to Cape Track later this
                                  > year which invovles a lot of beach walking...
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Andrew

                                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                • David Anderson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                    Rob,

                                    This is getting a bit off topic, but you might want to reconsider wearing
                                    sandals in your kayak. They have been known to get caught on the foot pegs
                                    during wet exits.

                                    Even though all the kayaking organizations warn against wearing sandals I
                                    didn't think it was likely to actually happen, till I tried it during some
                                    rescue practice. It's actually not that hard to get the footpeg stuck on a
                                    strap or between your foot and the sandal, and it's a whole lot harder to
                                    get it unstuck when you are upside down trying to do a wet exit, even when
                                    you are just practising and you know ahead of time that it's stuck.

                                    Give it a try the next time you do rescue practice and you'll see what I
                                    mean.

                                    Dave

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                      Dave,

                                      Good advice, I'll remember that. I mostly use a
                                      sit-on-top, so no wet exit issues yet. I usually wind
                                      up removing the foot pegs when I use expedition boats,
                                      as my feet reach the front wall in most models. I
                                      haven't taken any regular boats into heavy seas yet.
                                      I'll get formal instruction for rolls first.
                                      -Rob

                                      --- David Anderson <squtch@...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Rob,
                                      >
                                      > This is getting a bit off topic, but you might want
                                      > to reconsider wearing
                                      > sandals in your kayak. They have been known to get
                                      > caught on the foot pegs
                                      > during wet exits.
                                      >
                                      > Even though all the kayaking organizations warn
                                      > against wearing sandals I
                                      > didn't think it was likely to actually happen, till
                                      > I tried it during some
                                      > rescue practice. It's actually not that hard to get
                                      > the footpeg stuck on a
                                      > strap or between your foot and the sandal, and it's
                                      > a whole lot harder to
                                      > get it unstuck when you are upside down trying to do
                                      > a wet exit, even when
                                      > you are just practising and you know ahead of time
                                      > that it's stuck.
                                      >
                                      > Give it a try the next time you do rescue practice
                                      > and you'll see what I
                                      > mean.
                                      >
                                      > Dave

                                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                    • europa1057
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 3, 2002
                                        My Chacos float...luckily! I almost had one float away from me at a
                                        beach on Lake Michigan last summer...

                                        One other thing that is great with Chacos in water, especially salt
                                        water, when compared to Tevas: It has always seemed like salt water
                                        destroyed the velcro on my tevas instantly. They velcro always gets
                                        fuzzy after a few months, but constantly being in and out of water
                                        (any kind) makes it a lot worse. The fuzzy velcro doesn't hold as
                                        strong as new velcro, so they may come off. I am speaking from
                                        experience - I went through three pairs of tevas one summer a few
                                        years ago when I was lifeguarding and in and out of the water 50
                                        times a day.

                                        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Rob <dekkerd@r...> wrote:
                                        > OK,
                                        >
                                        > For beachcombing, I can never get Tevas tight enough,
                                        > sand gets in between the straps and skin, and
                                        > irritates. I'm not talking about the sole and foot,
                                        > you'll get sand there one way or the other. I have no
                                        > trouble with Chacos letting sand in.
                                        > Now for, say, dragging a kayak onto the beach, chacos
                                        > still rule. The straps on my Tevas always seem to
                                        > loosen, and I'm afraid I'll lose one to the 'suck
                                        > factor' of the tide. almost as bad is when the sandal
                                        > 'sticks' when you go to step into the kayak. The
                                        > Chacos just feel like part of my foot. I don't know if
                                        > chacos float like Tevas. I'll test that in the
                                        > morning.
                                        > -Rob
                                      • europa1057
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 3, 2002
                                          Just FYI - on the report I uploaded I included a link to a picture I
                                          put on the GearPics group. The picture is of a pair of Z/2s and
                                          shows the Terreno (hiking tread) sole. It really looks like a boot
                                          from the bottom!

                                          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Aushiker <apriest@i...> wrote:
                                          > Hi Rebecca
                                          >
                                          > Thanks for your responses. Just the sort of information I need.
                                          The Vibram
                                          > soles sound ok for the odd river crossing etc whilst backpacking.
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          > Andrew
                                        • Aushiker
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 4, 2002
                                            Hi Rebecca

                                            It sure does! Thanks for the photo. Got me more interested now.

                                            Thanks
                                            Andrew