Owner Review - Chaco Z/2 sandals

  • europa1057
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      With the summer season rapidly approaching, I was browsing the files
      section for reviews of things I may be interesting in purchasing for
      this season. I noticed that in the foorwear section, there were no
      sandal reviews. With this recent spring weather, some people may
      begin buying/replacing things like sandals, so I figured I'd submit a
      review. I have a pair of outdoor sandals that I love more than
      anything else I have ever put on my feet. Hopefully if I inspire
      anyone to get a pair, you'll like them as much as I do.
      ---------------------------

      Chaco Z/2 Sandals

      Name: Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
      Age: 24
      Gender: Female
      Height/Weight: 5'5"/150
      Email address: europa1057@...
      City, state: Sunnyvale, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)
      Date: April 2, 2002
      Backpacking background/Outdoor qualifications: I live in the San
      Francisco Bay area of California, and work as a technical consultant
      for a large software company. I split from the Bay Area every
      weekend and head to one of the many beautiful places California has
      to offer. Unfortunately, due to job restrictions, my trips are
      usually 2-3 day weekends and not longer, but it is very rare that I
      do not spend my weekend out running around somewhere in the
      mountains. I have been an outdoors addict for approximately 3 years
      and backpacking for about 2, so I can be classified as a
      beginner/intermediate. My favorite outdoor activities include
      hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, mountaineering, and rock
      climbing. I have previous experience with writing reviews, since I
      used to work for REI and did gear testing for them.

      Manufacturer: Chaco Sandals
      Year of Manufacture: 2001
      URL of manufacturer: www.chacosan.com
      List Price: Due to special order last year, $120, but less (around
      $90) this year.
      Purchase Price: $30

      Last year I worked for the outdoor retailer REI for about 6 months.
      Employees receive many great gear discounts, including `Pro-deals'
      which allow employees to purchase gear at or below wholesale price
      from manufacturers. Of course, the reason for this is that employees
      will try the gear and recommend it to all of the customers who come
      in to the store. I'll fall for this tactic, and review the Chaco
      sandals that I received at an extremely discounted price. I want to
      note that my review would be exactly the same even if I had paid full
      price, because I consider them worth the approximately $90 they cost
      in stores. In fact, I am really close to buying another pair, even
      though I do not have access to Pro-deal prices anymore.

      Chaco makes sandals that are intended for the same purposes as the
      more familiar Tevas. However, I feel that the comfort and quality of
      my Chacos are infinitely better than any Tevas I have ever owned. I
      have used my Chacos at the beach, boating, hiking, backpacking, and
      as an everyday sandal.

      Chaco sandals are very unique in their fit and customization
      potential. In their new 2002 line they have more sole and strap
      options, but when I Pro-dealed mine, I had to special order the sole
      and straps I wanted because they were not usually put together (In
      other words, I had to wait 3 months instead of picking them off the
      shelves in the storeroom). They have three strap configurations: the
      Chong, the Z/2, and the Z/1. The Chongs are slide on with no heel
      strap, the Z/2s are more secure with a heel strap and toe loop, and
      the Z/1s are just like the Z/2s except with no toe strap. They also
      offer a choice of sole, including Vibram deep-treaded soles for
      hiking and 5.10 `Sticky Rubber' soles for rock. When I purchased mine
      I really wanted the Z/2 straps with the Vibram hiking sole.
      Unfortunately, at the time the Vibram soles were only available with
      the Z/1s, which is why I had to special order them. This year, I
      believe any strap and sole combination is available through their
      website, although selection at stores may be limited. Chaco has a
      very informative website and good customer service, so if you need
      any customization done they will take care of it for you. They even
      offer (for $150) to make any sandal you would like (say, for example,
      you're getting married and are so hooked on your Chacos you want an
      all-white pair to go with your dress).

      The great thing about Chaco sandals that makes them stand out beyond
      their competition is how the strap system works. The strap is one
      long piece of webbing which threads through the soles. You can tug
      on different places and have the webbing pull through. If the toe is
      too tight, I loosen the buckle and tug on the toe strap until enough
      webbing has pulled through. I like the Z/2 sandals with the toe
      strap because it adds more security when wearing them barefoot, but I
      also have the flexibility of moving the straps. I can pull until the
      toe strap is flat against the footbed and wear them with socks. When
      I pull the toe strap flat like this they are just like the Z/1.
      There is no Velcro on these sandals, since the ends are held tight by
      a simple Ladderloc (friction) buckle.

      The footbed of the sandal is very supportive. I have problems with
      arch pain on hikes, and these are the first sandals I have been able
      to wear on long hikes without feeling like my feet were turning
      inside out. It actually kind of `hugs' the side of my feet around
      the arch. This is the only place where I can see people having fit
      problems, but Chaco has recently introduced wide widths that may
      solve some people's discomfort in this area.

      My Chacos are the most versatile pair of footwear I own. I have worn
      them in the water when tide pooling along the California coast (salt
      water – ew, crusty), and also when cooling off in remote mountain
      lakes on backpacking trips (murky bottoms – ew, icky). I have worn
      them hiking, and occasionally when backpacking. I usually don't like
      carrying a pack when wearing sandals because I prefer to have the
      ankle support of my boots. However, I always carry them on
      backpacking trips because they are great to put on for an hour or two
      when I let my feet, boots and socks air out. These sandals have even
      become my daily wear, and they are on my feet at work, when I'm
      shopping, and everything in between.

      As I look at my year-old Chacos right now (on my feet, of course), I
      can barely see any wear. Considering the conditions I have put them
      through, from salt water to muddy trails, I can barely tell they have
      been used as anything more than `around the office'. The Vibram
      soles are amazing – there is barely any wear on the heels where most
      of my shoes rub down within months. Even if they were worn down,
      Chaco would replace them at a fraction of the original (list price)
      cost. The straps are still fresh and new looking, and there is no
      annoying old fuzzy Velcro like on my Tevas. The straps are getting a
      little tougher to pull through, but I am going to wash them like
      Chaco suggests (diluted Armor-All and baking soda) and see if it
      helps get some of the grit out of the holes and make the straps slide
      smoother.

      Why am I considering buying another pair if the ones I have are still
      in great condition? It's purely aesthetic. When I special ordered
      mine, I sped up the process by choosing a webbing pattern that I
      wasn't especially fond of. I really like some of their new patterns,
      and I am also scared of going through withdrawal if I should lose or
      damage the pair I currently own.

      So, I would highly recommend these to anyone searching for a
      comfortable and durable outdoor sandal this summer. Most people head
      straight for the Tevas, but look a little more carefully at your
      outdoor retailer's sandal display and see if Chacos are available. I
      promise they are a million times better! No, they are not paying me
      to say that - they don't need to!
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
        Great review Rebecca,

        I remeber trying a pair of Z1s on and being quite thrilled with the fit,
        which is rare for me. But I was going to have to special order mine with the
        5.10 sticky rubber and um, sorta forgot all about them.

        I also recall being impressed that they were resoleable. This fact amazed me
        since I've never had a sandal last long enough to resole.

        By the way, the website lists it as the Z2, not the Z/2.

        I made a folder for it. Go ahead and upload it after waiting for comments.

        Dave

        europa1057 writes:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > With the summer season rapidly approaching, I was browsing the files
        > section for reviews of things I may be interesting in purchasing for
        > this season. I noticed that in the foorwear section, there were no
        > sandal reviews. With this recent spring weather, some people may
        > begin buying/replacing things like sandals, so I figured I'd submit a
        > review. I have a pair of outdoor sandals that I love more than
        > anything else I have ever put on my feet. Hopefully if I inspire
        > anyone to get a pair, you'll like them as much as I do.
        > ---------------------------
      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
          I've been talking to them, off and on, for about a year. They were
          interested at the OR Show. We'll see. I'll be approaching them in the
          next month or so. Minor point, but a pet peeve of mine. Unique is an
          absolute. There are no degrees of uniqueness. It's like being
          pregnant.....you either are or you aren't...... ;o)
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
            I actually noticed that the other day when I was looking at their
            website (dreaming about the next pair I am going to get), but when I
            purchased mine they had the slash in the name. I looked at the box
            they came in and it says 'Z/2 Samba' (Samba being the webbing
            pattern). Maybe they've changed their naming conventions...

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
              And people wonder why we only want the link to the manufacturers home page
              instead of the gear's actual page. If they don't keep their names consistant
              you know they are going to change around the web site too.

              The Z/2 might even be the new name. I noticed on their web site that they
              have a "what's new for 2001" link so that info might be old.

              Sigh. I guess it really doesn't matter if they can't decide. Leave it or
              change it, it's up to you.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                ~~jumping up and down, hand raised high above my head~~
                Oooh pick me for that test! Pick me! Pleeeeaaaassssseee?? =)

                I made the change in my report. I'll wait a little longer for
                feedback before I upload.

                Thanks!

                -- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@m...> wrote:
                > I've been talking to them, off and on, for about a year. They were
                > interested at the OR Show. We'll see. I'll be approaching them in
                the
                > next month or so. Minor point, but a pet peeve of mine. Unique is an
                > absolute. There are no degrees of uniqueness. It's like being
                > pregnant.....you either are or you aren't...... ;o)
                > Jerry

              • Aushiker
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                  Hi Rebecca

                  Thanks for the glowing report on the sandals. I haven't come across this
                  brand before, so will keep an eye out for them. That said I have few
                  questions which I would appreciate your comments on (and which you might to
                  consider including in your report):

                  (a) Do you have the weight of the sandals and i guess the size you wear? So
                  that there is a relationship between the weight and size;

                  (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly interested
                  in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip well
                  under these circumstances?

                  (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your experience
                  with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to remove the
                  smell?

                  Thanks
                  Andrew

                  --
                  Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

                  Get paid for responding to and receiving relevant email and/or SMS messages
                  - pureprofile by Australia Post
                  http://www.pureprofile.com.au/entry.asp?P=750740385
                • David Anderson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                    Comments below from someone who doesn't own a pair . . . yet.

                    Aushiker writes:
                    > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly interested
                    > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip well
                    > under these circumstances?

                    They have 3 different soles available. I imagine the vibram sole would be
                    the prefered sole for backpacking. but if river crossings are more of a
                    concern, I would recommend going with the five-ten soles. That stuff is just
                    plain sticky.

                    > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your experience
                    > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to remove the
                    > smell?

                    Smelly Teva's is one of my area's of true expertise!

                    First, if you wear socks with them every fourth day they tend to do a good
                    job of cleaning off all the sweat and gunk, greatly increasing the time
                    between washings. Then when they just get nasty with all that sweaty dirt,
                    you soak them for about an hour, then get a stiff brush and some soap and
                    just scrub away at them.

                    And the final trick is to go down to a dive or kayak shop (at least up in
                    the states) and get a product called "Sink the Stink"
                    http://www.sinkthestink.com (the link isn't working for me right now) and
                    you soak your tevas in the tub with some of this stuff and the critters in
                    this stuff eat the critters living on your tevas that cause the smell. It's
                    also real good for polypro, and not suprisingly, neoprene.

                    Dave
                  • Aushiker
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                      Hi Dave

                      Thanks for the comments on cleaning the Tevas. I will keep the details for
                      when (or if) I get some sandals. However my question remains in respect of
                      the Chacos. I have only ever heard of the problem with Tevas. Therefore I
                      am wondering if the problem also exists with other brands and in this case
                      the Chacos.

                      On the soles, again, I am still interested in how they handle river
                      crossings etc. This information is helpful in making compromise decisions.
                      Also then of course raises the question of wear rates (I think this was
                      touched on in the report).

                      Cheers
                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                        > (a) Do you have the weight of the sandals and i guess the size you
                        wear? So
                        > that there is a relationship between the weight and size;

                        Thanks for mentioning that, I don't know why I forgot that info.
                        Chaco's sandals only come in whole sizes, so I wear a women's size 9
                        (although I am usually an 8.5). The average weight that Chaco gives
                        for the Z/2s with the Vibram soles is 1 lb 5 oz, and unfortunately my
                        electronic scale is on the fritz right now and I can't get a specific
                        reading for mine. Once I can get it, I'll include it in my report.

                        > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly
                        interested
                        > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip
                        well
                        > under these circumstances?

                        Yes, I feel much safer in these than I have ever felt in any other
                        sandal. My tevas tend to slip around on wet and/or rocky surfaces,
                        and I haven't had that experience with the Chacos at all. The Vibram
                        soles have deep treads like a boot, so it's a similar grip. The 5.10
                        sticky rubber soles would provide more traction on rock, but probably
                        not for over-all hiking.

                        > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your
                        experience
                        > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to
                        remove the
                        > smell?

                        They got smelly at the end of last summer and it was my intent to
                        wash them as chaco suggests, with an old toothbrush and baking soda.
                        I wore them infrequently during the winter months so I never really
                        got to it. So this evening (I inspired myself by writing the review)
                        I scrubbed them for a while with baking soda. They are sparkling
                        clean and have no noticable odor. I should mention, however, that
                        the odor faded quickly when I ceased my daily barefoot use of them
                        when the rain and cold started.

                        Hope the information is useful!

                        Rebecca
                      • Rob
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                          Excellent review. I've had a pair of Z2's with Terrino
                          soles since September. Outstanding comfort, Tevas are
                          not in the same class. I use mine for everyday wear,
                          as well as hiking and kayaking. You can now easily get
                          a variety of soles and widths, as mentioned. I have a
                          size 11 wide.

                          One question. Do you find you're constantly
                          readjusting the toe loop? I can't seem to find the
                          ideal setting, so that I don't have to rejigger the
                          straps every day.
                          -Rob

                          --- europa1057 <europa1057@...> wrote:
                          > Hi everyone,
                          >

                          > Chaco Z/2 Sandals

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                        • Rob
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                            Maintaining my dignity, calmly raising my hand while
                            I whack her in the knee with a Leki...
                            --- europa1057 <europa1057@...> wrote:
                            > ~~jumping up and down, hand raised high above my
                            > head~~
                            > Oooh pick me for that test! Pick me!
                            > Pleeeeaaaassssseee?? =)

                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                          • europa1057
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                              I'm not doing it as much as I used to. When I first got them I
                              wasn't used to feeling a strap around my toe (10 years of teva use),
                              so it took me a while to figure out what felt 'just right', Now they
                              are set so that I don't have to do much readjustment. The only times
                              I do serious strap readjustments is when I want to wear socks with
                              them and pull the toe strap flat. It always take a little fooling
                              around to get the toe back to exactly how I like it after doing
                              that.

                              Related to this is something I should include in my report: My
                              husband purchased a pair shortly after I got mine. He says the toe
                              strap sometimes bothers him because it pulls on the hairs on his toe
                              and he has to loosen the straps. I'm not as hairy as him so I
                              haven't had that problem. =)

                              Rebecca

                              > One question. Do you find you're constantly
                              > readjusting the toe loop? I can't seem to find the
                              > ideal setting, so that I don't have to rejigger the
                              > straps every day.
                            • Rob
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                Andrew, here's my 1.5 cents. I'll answer 'a' when I
                                get home to my weight sheet.
                                --- Aushiker <apriest@...> wrote:
                                > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack?
                                > Particularly interested
                                > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc.
                                > Do they grip well
                                > under these circumstances?

                                My first hike with these was from Amicolala state park
                                to Neel's Gap on the AT in GA, about 36 miles. 34
                                pound pack, alot of PUDs. No trouble whatsoever. They
                                felt better than my Raidwinds w/superfeet inserts.
                                I've only dealt with a couple creek crossings so far,
                                no slippage. Ive a lot more time walking in surf, but
                                probably not what you're looking for.

                                > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling.
                                > What is your experience
                                > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you
                                > been able to remove the
                                > smell?

                                No trouble yet. I've only had them about 6 months, but
                                I wear them constantly.

                                -Rob

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                              • Rob
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                  LOL!! I should have mentioned that. That is one of the
                                  reasons I keep readjusting the loop. I actually yanked
                                  out a patch of hair last month. My fault, I saw that
                                  the hair was caught betwen hte straps, but I was
                                  running late. Took a week to heal. You can't see the
                                  bald spot, 'cause my feet look like I treat them with
                                  Rogaine...
                                  --- europa1057 <europa1057@...> wrote:

                                  > Related to this is something I should include in my
                                  > report: My
                                  > husband purchased a pair shortly after I got mine.
                                  > He says the toe
                                  > strap sometimes bothers him because it pulls on the
                                  > hairs on his toe
                                  > and he has to loosen the straps. I'm not as hairy
                                  > as him so I
                                  > haven't had that problem. =)
                                  >
                                  > Rebecca
                                  >
                                  > > One question. Do you find you're constantly
                                  > > readjusting the toe loop? I can't seem to find the
                                  > > ideal setting, so that I don't have to rejigger
                                  > the
                                  > > straps every day.

                                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                • Aushiker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                    Hi Rebecca

                                    Thanks for your responses. Just the sort of information I need. The Vibram
                                    soles sound ok for the odd river crossing etc whilst backpacking.

                                    Regards
                                    Andrew

                                    At 12:15 PM 03/04/2002, you wrote:

                                    > > (a) Do you have the weight of the sandals and i guess the size you
                                    >wear? So
                                    > > that there is a relationship between the weight and size;
                                    >
                                    >Thanks for mentioning that, I don't know why I forgot that info.
                                    >Chaco's sandals only come in whole sizes, so I wear a women's size 9
                                    >(although I am usually an 8.5). The average weight that Chaco gives
                                    >for the Z/2s with the Vibram soles is 1 lb 5 oz, and unfortunately my
                                    >electronic scale is on the fritz right now and I can't get a specific
                                    >reading for mine. Once I can get it, I'll include it in my report.
                                    >
                                    > > (b) Have you worn the sandals with your backpack? Particularly
                                    >interested
                                    > > in how they go when undertaking river crossings etc. Do they grip
                                    >well
                                    > > under these circumstances?
                                    >
                                    >Yes, I feel much safer in these than I have ever felt in any other
                                    >sandal. My tevas tend to slip around on wet and/or rocky surfaces,
                                    >and I haven't had that experience with the Chacos at all. The Vibram
                                    >soles have deep treads like a boot, so it's a similar grip. The 5.10
                                    >sticky rubber soles would provide more traction on rock, but probably
                                    >not for over-all hiking.
                                    >
                                    > > (c) I have heard comments about Tevas and smelling. What is your
                                    >experience
                                    > > with your Chaco sandals? If they do smell, have you been able to
                                    >remove the
                                    > > smell?
                                    >
                                    >They got smelly at the end of last summer and it was my intent to
                                    >wash them as chaco suggests, with an old toothbrush and baking soda.
                                    >I wore them infrequently during the winter months so I never really
                                    >got to it. So this evening (I inspired myself by writing the review)
                                    >I scrubbed them for a while with baking soda. They are sparkling
                                    >clean and have no noticable odor. I should mention, however, that
                                    >the odor faded quickly when I ceased my daily barefoot use of them
                                    >when the rain and cold started.
                                    >
                                    >Hope the information is useful!
                                    >
                                    >Rebecca

                                    Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

                                    Get paid for responding to and receiving relevant email and/or SMS messages
                                    - pureprofile by Australia Post
                                    http://www.pureprofile.com.au/entry.asp?P=750740385
                                  • aushiker
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                      Hi Rob

                                      Thanks for your comments as well. Actually would be interested in your surf experience as well, as (a) Perth is a beach side city :-) and (b) we are planing a week on the Cape to Cape Track later this year which invovles a lot of beach walking...

                                      Thanks
                                      Andrew

                                      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Rob <dekkerd@r...> wrote:
                                      Ive a lot more time walking in surf, but
                                      > probably not what you're looking for.
                                      > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                    • Rob
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                        OK,

                                        For beachcombing, I can never get Tevas tight enough,
                                        sand gets in between the straps and skin, and
                                        irritates. I'm not talking about the sole and foot,
                                        you'll get sand there one way or the other. I have no
                                        trouble with Chacos letting sand in.
                                        Now for, say, dragging a kayak onto the beach, chacos
                                        still rule. The straps on my Tevas always seem to
                                        loosen, and I'm afraid I'll lose one to the 'suck
                                        factor' of the tide. almost as bad is when the sandal
                                        'sticks' when you go to step into the kayak. The
                                        Chacos just feel like part of my foot. I don't know if
                                        chacos float like Tevas. I'll test that in the
                                        morning.
                                        -Rob
                                        --- aushiker <apriest@...> wrote:
                                        > Hi Rob
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for your comments as well. Actually would be
                                        > interested in your surf experience as well, as (a)
                                        > Perth is a beach side city :-) and (b) we are
                                        > planing a week on the Cape to Cape Track later this
                                        > year which invovles a lot of beach walking...
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        > Andrew

                                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                      • David Anderson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                          Rob,

                                          This is getting a bit off topic, but you might want to reconsider wearing
                                          sandals in your kayak. They have been known to get caught on the foot pegs
                                          during wet exits.

                                          Even though all the kayaking organizations warn against wearing sandals I
                                          didn't think it was likely to actually happen, till I tried it during some
                                          rescue practice. It's actually not that hard to get the footpeg stuck on a
                                          strap or between your foot and the sandal, and it's a whole lot harder to
                                          get it unstuck when you are upside down trying to do a wet exit, even when
                                          you are just practising and you know ahead of time that it's stuck.

                                          Give it a try the next time you do rescue practice and you'll see what I
                                          mean.

                                          Dave

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                            Dave,

                                            Good advice, I'll remember that. I mostly use a
                                            sit-on-top, so no wet exit issues yet. I usually wind
                                            up removing the foot pegs when I use expedition boats,
                                            as my feet reach the front wall in most models. I
                                            haven't taken any regular boats into heavy seas yet.
                                            I'll get formal instruction for rolls first.
                                            -Rob

                                            --- David Anderson <squtch@...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Rob,
                                            >
                                            > This is getting a bit off topic, but you might want
                                            > to reconsider wearing
                                            > sandals in your kayak. They have been known to get
                                            > caught on the foot pegs
                                            > during wet exits.
                                            >
                                            > Even though all the kayaking organizations warn
                                            > against wearing sandals I
                                            > didn't think it was likely to actually happen, till
                                            > I tried it during some
                                            > rescue practice. It's actually not that hard to get
                                            > the footpeg stuck on a
                                            > strap or between your foot and the sandal, and it's
                                            > a whole lot harder to
                                            > get it unstuck when you are upside down trying to do
                                            > a wet exit, even when
                                            > you are just practising and you know ahead of time
                                            > that it's stuck.
                                            >
                                            > Give it a try the next time you do rescue practice
                                            > and you'll see what I
                                            > mean.
                                            >
                                            > Dave

                                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                          • europa1057
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 3, 2002
                                              My Chacos float...luckily! I almost had one float away from me at a
                                              beach on Lake Michigan last summer...

                                              One other thing that is great with Chacos in water, especially salt
                                              water, when compared to Tevas: It has always seemed like salt water
                                              destroyed the velcro on my tevas instantly. They velcro always gets
                                              fuzzy after a few months, but constantly being in and out of water
                                              (any kind) makes it a lot worse. The fuzzy velcro doesn't hold as
                                              strong as new velcro, so they may come off. I am speaking from
                                              experience - I went through three pairs of tevas one summer a few
                                              years ago when I was lifeguarding and in and out of the water 50
                                              times a day.

                                              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Rob <dekkerd@r...> wrote:
                                              > OK,
                                              >
                                              > For beachcombing, I can never get Tevas tight enough,
                                              > sand gets in between the straps and skin, and
                                              > irritates. I'm not talking about the sole and foot,
                                              > you'll get sand there one way or the other. I have no
                                              > trouble with Chacos letting sand in.
                                              > Now for, say, dragging a kayak onto the beach, chacos
                                              > still rule. The straps on my Tevas always seem to
                                              > loosen, and I'm afraid I'll lose one to the 'suck
                                              > factor' of the tide. almost as bad is when the sandal
                                              > 'sticks' when you go to step into the kayak. The
                                              > Chacos just feel like part of my foot. I don't know if
                                              > chacos float like Tevas. I'll test that in the
                                              > morning.
                                              > -Rob
                                            • europa1057
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 3, 2002
                                                Just FYI - on the report I uploaded I included a link to a picture I
                                                put on the GearPics group. The picture is of a pair of Z/2s and
                                                shows the Terreno (hiking tread) sole. It really looks like a boot
                                                from the bottom!

                                                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Aushiker <apriest@i...> wrote:
                                                > Hi Rebecca
                                                >
                                                > Thanks for your responses. Just the sort of information I need.
                                                The Vibram
                                                > soles sound ok for the odd river crossing etc whilst backpacking.
                                                >
                                                > Regards
                                                > Andrew
                                              • Aushiker
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 4, 2002
                                                  Hi Rebecca

                                                  It sure does! Thanks for the photo. Got me more interested now.

                                                  Thanks
                                                  Andrew