Birdiepal Umbrella Tester Application

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 9:25 AM
      Clear DayDear Jerry and Dave:

      I would like to apply and be considered for the BirdiePal Umbrella test. I have read and
      agree to comply with the rules in a timely fashion.

      Personal Statistics:

      I am a 49 year old male with a three decade backpacking history who lives in the Hawaiian
      Islands. I have backpacked extensively in the continental United States, Hawaiian Islands
      and Southeast Asia. About two years ago I began using a lightweight umbrella for my
      backpacking trips since I found the umbrella to be a better method of rain protection than
      a rain jacket which can be confining, hot and uncomfortable. Unfortunately I have yet
      to find an umbrella that can withstand the type of wind and driving rain that I regularly experience.

      If accepted for the test I would be using the umbrella on an upcoming (May 2002) backpacking trip to Kauai where I plan, with three others, to backpack to Mount Waialeale which is the rainiest place on the face of the earth (averaging 480 inches per year). This will be my second
      attempt to reach Mount Waialeale, as my first met with failure due to adverse weather conditions, poor visibility. This time I will be equipped with Magellan Meridian GPS, topo map
      and compass. The last time my umbrella imploded under the strong wind and rain that I encountered.

      I believe that I could put this umbrella through a very rigorous test under the likely extreme
      conditions that I will encounter.

      I have previously completed the Pristine Water Purification test for BackpackGearTest.

      Thank you for consideration of my request.

      With warm aloha,

      Richard Jacobson (aka Kalalau Rich)