Re: You've been Yahooed

  • europa1057
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
      I've actually done that. The calls have slowed. I also changed my
      number to my work area code and not my home area code so callers are
      getting someone else these days...

      Anyways, on the subject of backpacking (isn't that what this list is
      about?) I was also interested in the Birdiepal, but the rainy season
      is rapidly coming to a close (WOO HOO!!!) and I use a hat for the
      sun, so I think my testing opportunities would be little to none...

      > I believe it's illegal in most states for telemarketers to
      intentionally
      > call cell phones. It is also against an FCC regulation for
      autodialers or
      > recorded messages to call cell phones. Find out if you have a state
      law
      > against it and inform the telemarketer that it is a cell phone and
      they are
      > not to call that number any more.
      >
      > Dave
    • Dennis Gartland
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
        Sorry I already deleteted the first part of the
        message.

        PS Yahoo does or has an afiliate that sells address to
        yahoo stores, but know one can afford them. Yahoo has
        a privacy policy which states you have to agree for
        the network to use your info.

        PLEASE BE COMPLETLY RELASTIC ABOUT THIS. the servers
        that host this list arn't FREE.

        Most online retailers have a policy to only contact
        people who request info or who sighn up on an opt in
        list. It's ussually the network marketrs that are bad.
        THat' where all my spam comes from

        The best place to hide is in the wide open.

        Ussually the more info about you that is availbale the
        less people take advantage of it.

        --- David Anderson <squtch@...>
        wrote:
        > europa1057 writes:
        >
        > > Well whaddya know...that would explain the extra
        > emails i've been
        > > getting too. Lucky thing that my account was out
        > of date and had the
        > > wrong phone number. (I don't have a home phone -
        > use a cell phone all
        > > the time, and it makes me angry to use up minutes
        > getting rid of
        > > telemarketers...grrrr)
        > >
        > > -Rebecca
        >
        > I believe it's illegal in most states for
        > telemarketers to intentionally
        > call cell phones. It is also against an FCC
        > regulation for autodialers or
        > recorded messages to call cell phones. Find out if
        > you have a state law
        > against it and inform the telemarketer that it is a
        > cell phone and they are
        > not to call that number any more.
        >
        > Dave

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • europa1057
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
          Funny, Yahoo news didn't post this story, but it's on the main page
          of MSNBC. So, if you're interested in this Yahoo privacy
          policy/marketing mumbo jumbo, here's a link to a story:

          http://www.msnbc.com/news/731517.asp?cp1=1
        • dgldsn
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2002

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2002
              In a message dated 3/31/02 4:34:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com writes:

              > From: "dgldsn" <dgldsn@...>
              > Subject: Re: You've been Yahooed
              >
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "amytys" <amytys@f...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I noticed that too. Quickly updated my address to
              > >
              > > 12345 Someplace Lane
              > > Somecity, MI 48111
              > >
              > > Likewise, the phone number has been set to 313/123-4567

              A little "payback"- If the controls aren't set to catch this, and a
              significant number of us enter -
              > 12345 Someplace Lane
              > Somecity, MI 48111
              >
              > Likewise, the phone number has been set to 313/123-4567

              It will look like we are one huge communal group. I wonder if it would skew
              any of their data?

              Just started the first cup of coffee. Extra warped thinking!

              Rosaleen

            • jlarkey49201
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 7, 2002
                Does anyone really use their actual points of contact??

                For those that do, suggest checking out Steve Gibson's privacy forum
                at:
                www.grc.com

                There are numerous freeware mail & web washers that will minimize the
                spam and ads from other sites as well as Yahoo.

                Also suggest:
                http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main.htm
                for other privacy resources.

                Cheers,