Seychelle Test Results

  • Mark Smythe
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2000
      I had an opportunity this weekend to try out the Seychelle filter
      this weekend that arrived on Friday. Unfortunately I ran into
      problems within the first hour. I will write a more detailed review
      tonight but I wanted to hilight what I ran into and ask that other
      testers watch for the same problem.
      The filter arrived as 3 pieces. Two are the housing, which screws
      together and seals with an O-ring. The third piece is the filter
      element that screws inside the "out" piece of the housing and
      hopefully seals with a supplied O-ring. The water is to flow in
      the "in" housing, through the filter and out the "out" half of the
      housing. I noticed that the weak part of this design is that the
      user is left to assembly the filter element with the "out" side of
      the housing. If the O-ring does not seal properly, water passes
      around the filter element and unfiltered water leaves the housing for
      me to drink. I have both a Guardian pump style filter by General
      Ecology and a Sweetwater pump design to compare with the Seychelle.
      The Guardian came with a small bottle of blue food grade dye for
      testing the integrity of the filter element to reassure the user it
      is working and not damaged. The test is simple. Add about 2 drops
      of dye to each cup of unfiltered water and let your filter do it's
      thing. If the water resulting on the other side is still blue you
      have a problem. I have used this test for many years with several
      types of filters which all claim to remove Gardia (at least). I
      don't know the particle size of blue dye but a good filer always
      removed the color on the output side. The Seychelle filter did not
      remove the blue color. I unscrewed the filter element from the "OUT"
      side and checked the O-ring. It had been compressed some but not
      damaged. I replaced it and carefully reassembled the element with
      the housing ensuring that it screwed on snugly. I ran the test a
      second time with the same results. I removed the element again and
      noticed the O-ring had been slightly cut from the compression. I
      decided to not remove the element again as it is quite fragile when
      wet and it is difficult to turn with hand pressure without squeezing
      the fragile element material. I also noticed after both tests that
      there was a small amount of grey or black sediment in the water that
      did not exist before. This indicates that water may have been
      leaking around the filter or the filter is for some reason
      defective.

      Conclusion:
      The failure could be attributed to one or more of several causes:
      *Incorrect assembly on my part possibly causing damage to the filter
      (the filter came without assembly directions or cautions but appears
      to be strait forward for a careful individual)
      *A defective element or housing piece ( parts are probably not tested
      together at the factory) resulting in water bypassing the filter or
      the filter not doing its job effectively.
      *A filter which by design does not filter this size particles (not
      likely).

      Other testers should consider this test also. If results are not the
      same as mine, I would lean toward the possibility that my filter is
      damaged, either from the factory or from my handling. Maybe Gerry
      could also get some feedback from the factory.

      Mark
    • Robert Stanley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2000
        Thanks Mark, I kinda have the layout in my mind now.... I think....

        From your reply and all the other testers replies it sounds like you all
        have it well under control ; )

        Thanks again, and sorry for the late reply, been off-line for a bit.

        Rob Stanley