Re: [BackpackGearTest] Fw: Files

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
      I'm using Explorer 5 and 98. They all open for me but the icon beside them is the one usually associated with and .rtf file. Do you have MSWord? Just wondering. Word doesn't open when I look at them though. When you get the disk dialog box have you tried checking "Open here" or what ever?
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
        "Do you have MSWord? ..." No, Word Perfect 8

        "... When you get the disk dialog box have you tried checking "Open here" or what ever?" No dialogue box opens. I get a list on the left like "Home", "Messages", "Files" etc. I click on "files". Then the various items are listed, I click on "Polar Wrap Exchanger". Then names are listed. When I click on "Mara Factor" it instantly starts spawning an external viewer. One of the knife files did that too. Most files don't do it. It's something unique about only certain files. Most of them just open up to something to read. Some try to download a bunch of gibberish to my harddisk.

        Jack
      • David Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
          Jack does this happen on all the files you try and download from the
          website? If the file was saved as an .html file you should be able to open
          it regardless of what OS (95, 98, or NT) you are running, or whether you
          have word or Word Perfect. It should appear just like any other web page.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
            "Jack does this happen on all the files you try and download from the
            website? If the file was saved as an .html file you should be able to open
            it regardless of what OS (95, 98, or NT) you are running, or whether you
            have word or Word Perfect. It should appear just like any other web page."

            Nope. Most files don't do it. It's something unique about only certain files. Most of them just open up to something to read. Some try to download a bunch of gibberish to my harddisk.

            Jack
          • William Gates
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
              I used my HTML editor (coffeecup) to create a straight html file and
              uploaded it as a direct entry...tested it with 5 different browsers
              (don't ask...) and all ran fine.

              May I sugjest that all reports be done in simple HTML? that way all can
              read them..

              --will

              Gear Tester wrote:

              > We need to come up with a standard for files. Jack, what browser and
              > operating system do you use?
              > Jerry

            • Gear Tester
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                As far as I know, that's what mine have been created in. As I understand it, all browsers are supposed to be able to read it. I'm not that web literate.
                Jerry