Re: [BackpackGearTest] Fw: Files

  • Jack Voss
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2 7:44 AM
      "We need to come up with a standard for files. Jack, what browser and
      operating system do you use? Jerry"

      Browser is Netscape
      Operating system is Windows 95

      Jack
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2 7:54 AM
        I'm using Explorer 5 and 98. They all open for me but the icon beside them is the one usually associated with and .rtf file. Do you have MSWord? Just wondering. Word doesn't open when I look at them though. When you get the disk dialog box have you tried checking "Open here" or what ever?
        Jerry
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2 8:27 AM
          "Do you have MSWord? ..." No, Word Perfect 8

          "... When you get the disk dialog box have you tried checking "Open here" or what ever?" No dialogue box opens. I get a list on the left like "Home", "Messages", "Files" etc. I click on "files". Then the various items are listed, I click on "Polar Wrap Exchanger". Then names are listed. When I click on "Mara Factor" it instantly starts spawning an external viewer. One of the knife files did that too. Most files don't do it. It's something unique about only certain files. Most of them just open up to something to read. Some try to download a bunch of gibberish to my harddisk.

          Jack
        • David Miller
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2 8:43 AM
            Jack does this happen on all the files you try and download from the
            website? If the file was saved as an .html file you should be able to open
            it regardless of what OS (95, 98, or NT) you are running, or whether you
            have word or Word Perfect. It should appear just like any other web page.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2 8:51 AM
              "Jack does this happen on all the files you try and download from the
              website? If the file was saved as an .html file you should be able to open
              it regardless of what OS (95, 98, or NT) you are running, or whether you
              have word or Word Perfect. It should appear just like any other web page."

              Nope. Most files don't do it. It's something unique about only certain files. Most of them just open up to something to read. Some try to download a bunch of gibberish to my harddisk.

              Jack
            • William Gates
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2 3:56 PM
                I used my HTML editor (coffeecup) to create a straight html file and
                uploaded it as a direct entry...tested it with 5 different browsers
                (don't ask...) and all ran fine.

                May I sugjest that all reports be done in simple HTML? that way all can
                read them..

                --will

                Gear Tester wrote:

                > We need to come up with a standard for files. Jack, what browser and
                > operating system do you use?
                > Jerry

              • Gear Tester
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2 4:50 PM
                  As far as I know, that's what mine have been created in. As I understand it, all browsers are supposed to be able to read it. I'm not that web literate.
                  Jerry