Golite Hex2

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 21, 2002
      As the Land packs will not be available until July, at the earliest,
      Golite has offered us the Hex2s for our review. This is not in lieu of
      the Land packs but in addition. This is not a tester call just yet. I'll
      be announcing the call in the next week or so. Golite is proving to be a
      class act.

      Jerry

    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2002
        I would like to throw in a lot of praise for Golite.
        One of the discussions during my hiking trip last week was the fact that a lot
        of backpacking gear is crap. THe main reason is that people buy it and the
        manufacturers have no reason to fix or change it.
        Enter Golite.
        My main take on the pack situation is that they were not happy with the way the
        packs fit. There were not quality flaws, the packs just didn't wear correctly
        in their view.
        My contact with Golite was very candid about the ruckus going on in the offices
        due to the recall and the contacts that they were initiating with dealers and
        customers.
        They could have pawned the existing packs off and changed the next run and I
        doubt that many people would have noticed or complained. I probably wouldn't
        have known anybetter myself.
        Golite felt that this was a situation that needed to be fixed now, not later
        and considered their customers when making the decision.
        For this, I truly applaud them. They could have kept everyone in the dark and
        let this issue slip by, but they didn't.

        TV

        What is our aim? Victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of
        all terror;
        Victory how ever long and hard the road may be.
        Sir Winston Churchill
      • amytys
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2002
          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Thomas Vickers" <tvickers@c...> wrote:
          > One of the discussions during my hiking trip last week was
          > the fact that a lot of backpacking gear is crap.

          Maybe I'm just a careful shopper, or maybe it's that I buy quality
          gear... but I just can't think of any real "crap" out there. Gear
          misuse (packing 90-lbs into a pack that specifically says it's
          designed for loads under 40-lbs and then crying foul when the
          stitching breaks) and unrealistic expectations (a $15 k-mart pup tent
          not being able to withstand a 6-hour downpour without leaking) do not
          necessarilly mean that the gear in question was "crap" - perhaps it
          was simply misused.

          Can you be a little more specific in what gear your discussion
          labeled as "crap"???

          > THe main reason is that people buy it and the manufacturers have no
          reason to fix or change it.

          I thought that most gear was overbuilt, hence heavy packs, and
          manufacturers basically have nothing to fix and happy customers.
          Even when things break due to customer misuse, many manufactures
          still honor their warrantees. For example, my wife left her Gregory
          Reality on the picnic table at Bright Angel Campground (Grand Canyon)
          rather than hanging it as I did and is mandated by park rules. We
          were tired, she was going to hang it "in 5 minutes", and I was just
          too tired to notice it laying there. In that 5-minutes, a squirrel
          chewed a nice sized hole into the top pocket. After the trip, I sent
          the top pocket back to Gregory, with a letter detailing the
          incident. Even though it clearly states in the warrantee that animal
          attacks are not covered, they still fixed it for free and took care
          of the shipping costs for me.

          Personally, the only thing that gets me these days is a lack of
          information on sleeping bags (hey Marmot, please list the fill weight
          and loft of your bags) and the publication of incorrect product
          weights by manufacturers (I'm talking beyond a 10% margin here).
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
            The next item up for testing is the Golite Hex2. You can see it at
            http://www.golite.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/scstore/product_categ
            ories/products/hex2.html?L+scstore+hwth4370+1017716152 . This is a
            beautiful shelter. At $270.00 a pop, this is an impressive test series.
            All the usual requirements apply.
            Jerry

          • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
              Jerry - Is the optional floor available for testing with the tent? It
              might be good to have that option... even if the tester had to purchase it.

              -James T.

              "Jerry Goller" <geartester@...> on 04/01/2002 01:45:47 PM

              Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com

              To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
              cc:

              Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Golite Hex2

              The next item up for testing is the Golite Hex2. You can see it at
              http://www.golite.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/scstore/product_categories/products/hex2.html?L+scstore+hwth4370+1017716152 .
              This is a beautiful shelter. At $270.00 a pop, this is an impressive test series. All the usual requirements apply.
              Jerry

            • redbike64
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                4.1.02

                Jerry,

                Please accept my application to test the Golite Hex2.

                I can directly compare it against an 8X10 siltarp and a Moss Superfly
                IV.

                Applicant: Rick Dreher
                Stats Male, H: 6', W: 175#, Foot: 11.5, Age: 48
                Location: Northern Calif.
                Testing area: Northern & Central Sierra Nevada
                Years backpacking experience: 35, general skill level: mid to advanced

                I agree to post all three reports complete and within the allotted
                time.

                --Rick Dreher

                Previous owner and tester reports:

                20Poles/Leki%20Ultralite%20Ti%20Poles/Non-Tester%20Comments/Leki%
                20report.htm

                20Integral%20Designs%20Primaliner/Rick%20Dreher/PrimalLiner%20%233.htm

                20Ultralight/WM%20Ultra%20review.htm

                20Chance%20Sportswear/Rick%20Dreher/Last_Chance_Destroyer_Shorts-
                Report-3.html

                20Reality%20/Reality%20review.htm

                t%20Quick%20Fit%20Everyday/Rick%20Dreher/SUPERfeet%20Quick%20Fit%
                20Report%20%232.htm

                Also, beta tester for Yaktrax and MSR Stove of Mystery.
              • Thomas Vickers
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                  Thomas Vickers
                  34 years old
                  Male
                  5' ll inches tall
                  160 lbs
                  redroach@...
                  Spring, Texas (Southeast Texas)
                  April 1, 2002

                  Background: I have been hiking and camping since college. Over the past five
                  years I have taken up hiking as a serious past time with trips to Yosemite,
                  Central Texas, East Texas, Arkansas and North Texas. I joined this group to
                  help myself make decisions on some of the newer gear that I want to purchase.

                  Field information:The Hex2 will be tested on weekend trips in Southeast and
                  Central Texas during the Spring and summer months. (lots of heat).This will
                  expose the tent to high summer temperatures and very little preciptation, but
                  should test condensation problems due to the high humidity of the region. I
                  also plan a long trip (8 days) to Yosemite in July, which would allow me to
                  test the tent at higher altitudes and over a prolonged exposure to the
                  elements.

                  I will also be comparing the tent to other 2 person shelter, mainly the
                  Nortface Tadpole and Eureka Timberline 2.

                  Previously written reports:
                  Integral Designs Primaliner Reports #1 and #2
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/%20Integral%20Designs%20Primaliner/Thomas%20Vickers/Mummer%20PrimalLiner%20Series.htm

                  Kelty Gale Pack
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Packs/Kelty%20Gale/

                  I have read and I understand the reporting/testing guidlines as they are put
                  forth in the survival guide. I agree to abide by all requirements in these
                  guidelines.

                • hikemstr@AOL.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                    Jerry

                    I would like to express my interest in testing the GoLite Hex2 Shelter. I am
                    working with a number of different lightweight shelter strategies (hammocks,
                    tarps,
                    solo tents) seeking to compare and contrast suitable
                    lighter shelters for treks in northern New England. The
                    scope of my outings includes section hikes on the AT and trips in all types
                    of weather. My goal of the test would compare their
                    product with other lightweight shelter options. Of particular interest is to
                    compare
                    and contrast their model with other shelter options which I currently use.
                    The Hex2
                    seems to lend itself to summer as well as winter applications. In
                    northern New England there will be many opportunities to test this feature.

                    I am a 52 year old male (5'7" - 160 lbs.). I have many years of experience
                    backpacking throughout the East. I am a climber and making a steady
                    transition to "lightweight" strategies.

                    I am familiar with all expectations of testers and will continue to comply
                    with all requirements.

                    Doc

                    Dr. Eugene Roddy (hikemstr@...)

                    Bibler Eldorado - Owner Review
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Bibler%20Eldorad
                    o/Owner%27s%20Report%20-%20Bibler%20Eldorado.htm

                    Big Agnes - Owner Review
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/Big%20Agnes%

                    20Cross%20Mountain/BACrossMountain.htm

                    Last Chance Sportswear
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Clothing/Last%20Chance%20

                    Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Report1and2.html

                    Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Last%20Chance%20Shorts%20-%20Report%20%233.htm

                    Equinox Ultra Light Bivy
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Equinox%20Ultral

                    ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report.htm

                    ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report%232.htm

                    ight%20Bivy/Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Equinox%20Ultralight%20Bivy%20Report%233.htm

                    Crazy Crib LEX
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Crazy%20Creek%20

                    Crib%20LE/Dr.%20Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Crazy%20Crib%201%262.htm

                    Crib%20LE/Dr.%20Eugene%20A.%20Roddy/Crazy%20Crib%20%233.htm

                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                      The floor isn't included in the test. But I'm sure we could arrange a
                      discount for any of the testers that wanted the accessories for it.
                      Jerry

                      Jerry - Is the optional floor available for testing with the tent? It
                      might be good to have that option... even if the tester had to purchase
                      it.

                      -James T.

                      "Jerry Goller" <geartester@...> on 04/01/2002 01:45:47 PM

                      Please respond to BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com

                      To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                      cc:

                      The next item up for testing is the Golite Hex2. You can see it at
                      http://www.golite.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/scstore/product_categ
                      ories/products/hex2.html?L+scstore+hwth4370+1017716152 .
                      This is a beautiful shelter. At $270.00 a pop, this is an impressive
                      test series. All the usual requirements apply.
                      Jerry

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1981271.3463330.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                      066005:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1981271.3463330.1261774/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=1705066005:HM/A=763352/rand=730704484>

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • dunning_josh
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@a...> wrote:
                        > The floor isn't included in the test. But I'm sure we could arrange
                        > a discount for any of the testers that wanted the accessories forit.
                        > Jerry

                        I'd have to cast a vote for the Nest option. The bugs get pretty bag
                        up here. The Skeeters are already out in the lowlands due to the mild
                        winter.

                        Josh

                        That is, of course, if I'm chosen...
                      • Rami
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002
                          Application to test
                          Golite Hex2 Shelter

                          Name: Rami Benhameda
                          E-Mail: rbenhameda@...
                          Age: 33
                          Height: 5'11"
                          Weight: 200 # (+/-)
                          Geographic Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

                          If I am selected to test the Hex 2, I would do so on Solo and two person hikes which I am planning for this summer and fall. I have never used a floorless shelter so this would not only be a test for the product, but for me as well.

                          I have been hiking, backpacking, and camping for more than 20 years in Indiana and the surrounding states as well as Ontario Canada and the eastern seaboard. I have recently been trying to reduce my pack weight, but that's not usually possible on family trips as I have to carry my youngest's gear until she's big enough to do it herself.

                          I have read the requirements for a tester as outlined in the BGTSurvival Guide, and I agree to comply.

                          I have posted the following product reviews so far:

                          (Owner)Coleman Exponent Inyo 2 tent
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Coleman%20Exponent%20Inyo%202/Owner%20Review%20Coleman%20Inyo%202%20tent.htm

                          (Owner)Camelbak HAWG hydration system
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Hydration%20Systems/Camelbak%20H.A.W.G./Owner%20Review%20Camelbak%20H_A_W_G_.htm