Last call for Kahtoola

  • Timothy Scott
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2 6:43 AM
      Jerry,

      I would like to be considered for this test now, as the shipping date have been
      moved up a month. I live in NH and I have been hiking in the Whites all winter
      long. While the Kahtoola webiste was not that informative about the product, I
      made some deductions from the pictures that they provided.

      First, these are not "aggressive" crampons, but rather what look to be a hybrid
      between instep and 10 pointers. Second is that they are flexible, the property
      that really interests me. Most days hiking in the Whites are too cold for me to
      wear my standard leather boots, especially above treeline. I could wear a Sorel
      to other such insulated boot, but they are too flexible for standard 10 or 12
      point crampons. Instead, I have to wear plastic boots which, while extremly
      warm, are not terribly comfortable.

      I think that with the Kahtoola crampons, I could wear my insulated Columbia
      boots on most winter day hikes, and not have to worry about the crampons
      breaking since these are flexible. This is my main interest in the product.

      -Tim Scott

      =====
      "He who climbs upon highest mountains laughs at all tragedies,
      real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche,
      Thus Spake Zarathustra

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Larry Hillberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2 7:58 AM

        Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 4:11 PM
        Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Last call for Kahtoola

        Kahtoola is ready to ship their traction system by March 15.

        Hi Jerry
        I'd love to be considered for this test since the shipping dates have been moved up.  I could test them in the Northern Sierra around Granite Chief as soon as they arrived and then again in early June in the Southern Sierra around Whitney.  I would try them with running shoes and low top hiking boots that are not designed for full crampons.  At 17oz. they sound ideal for long distance, lightweight packing.
        Helen
      • Rick Dreher
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2 9:51 AM
          Jerry,

          Please add my name to the Kahtoola test candidate hopper. I would test them
          in two different situations: late season snowshoeing (when the Sierra snow
          conditions range from fluff to ice during the day, requiring taking the
          snowshows on and off intermittantly) and for early season day hikes &/or
          overnights (when crossing steep icy snowfields is commonplace). All testing
          would be in the northern Sierra.

          Do you have an idea of how long the test period might be (how far into the
          season)?

          I'd use them with both lightweight running-shoe style footware (with very
          flexible soles that I use for snowshoeing) and more typical hiking boots
          (stiffer, heavier soles).

          I agree to all reporting requirements.

          Regards,

          --Rick Dreher

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2 11:58 AM
            Hi,

            I would like to be considered as a tester for this product. I am
            starting from the north end of the CDT this year and have been
            looking for lightweight traction alternatives. This looks like a
            good possibility. For now, my training hikes are in the bluffs along
            the Missouri River in South Dakota. Snowshoes have been the rule
            this winter, but as spring progresses and the snowpacks ice up, I
            will be able to give these a thorough test. I have not tested before
            but am familiar with the process. Thanks!

            Bruce Vander Lee

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Gear Tester" <geartester@h...> wrote:
            > Kahtoola is ready to ship their traction system by March 15. You
            can see them at http://www.kahtoola.com/html/index.html . They are
            very light weight hiking crampons. We have 5 to test. If you have
            already posted a request to test you don't need to do it again. These
            should be very handy on the PCT.
            > Jerry
            > BackpackGearTest
          • Justin Vlietstra
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5 2:50 PM
              I'd like to test the crampons. I'll be hiking up in the adirondacks
              this weekend, and the following weekend (17th) as well as one or two
              weekends in april. I'll also do a few local dayhikes in april (I hike
              most weekends year-round) that may or may not have snow. I've been up
              in the adirondacks the last couple weekends and there is a lot of snow
              on top of the high peaks. It will be around until June. It is probably
              the same in the white mountains. Anyway, I can compare them to my
              Stubai Ultralight aluminum crampons and a couple pairs of instep
              crampons for walking on packed snow and ice. I'm particularly
              interested in finding out if they work on an alternating mix of snow,
              ice, frozen dirt, and mud. Most full size crampons are not good on dirt
              patches and insteps are bad on steeper ice.
            • Gear Tester
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5 3:11 PM
                Sorry....the addresses are already sent....
                Jerry
                Hi Jerry, If It isn't too late I also would like to try the crampons.  Today it is snowing heavily, we already have over 14 inches of snow and are expecting over two feet!!  Looks like there will be plenty of snow on the peaks for a while.  Am winter camping for 4 days, march 25 th through 29th. in the crane mountain area.  Am also planning on camping for 4 more days April 5 through 9 in the saranac lake region. Intend to hike high peaks extensively during April and will be doing a lot of smaller mountains and many trails in the next several weeks.  Am trying to get in as much hiking as possible before bug season/mud season.  Mike

              • Michael Tocci
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5 6:00 PM