Re: [BackpackGearTest] Last call for Kahtoola

  • Earl Needham
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
      At 05:11 PM 3/1/01 -0700, Gear Tester blasted the following out into the ether:
      >Kahtoola is ready to ship their traction system by March 15. You can see
      >them at
      ><http://www.kahtoola.com/html/index.html>http://www.kahtoola.com/html/index
      >.html . They are very light weight hiking crampons. We have 5 to test. If
      >you have already posted a request to test you don't need to do it again.
      >These should be very handy on the PCT.
      >Jerry
      >BackpackGearTest

      I would very much like to try this setup. The only problem I can see
      is that it's getting a little late in the year to do so.

      However, if I should be given the opportunity, I'll make sure to go
      to the New Mexico version of the white Mountain Wilderness and give them a
      fair test. Several years ago, I stood in snow up there the last weekend in
      May, so late March and most of April should have a fair amount of ice and
      snow to give them a good workout, both on my Reichle's and my cloth hiking
      boots.

      My qualifications? I like to hike and backpack. Used to be active
      in BSA, but am not quite so active there any more, preferring to be alone
      to follow my own schedule and abilities.

      Thanks,
      Earl Needham
      I used to be a FOX!
      Philmont, 721-O, 1994

      Earl Needham, KD5XB mailto:KD5XB@...
      Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk N34d 25.446m W103d 12.700m (or so)

      Pet peeve: breath is a noun, breathe is a verb (When you take a breath,
      you breathe...)
    • rickhubbard2001@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hello,

        I might be able to help. I'm a 59 year old Vermonter planning to hike
        about 1100 miles on the PCT from May 10th thru August 7th. (Campo to
        Donner Pass).

        I need to equip for steep snow (if needed). I now live in Stowe, VT
        and we're having the best winter in many years. Thus we'll have snow
        to test on for many weeks, just out my door. If it fits for you, I'd
        be happy to test the system first here in Stowe, and if it seems
        satisfactory, I'd be happy to bring it with me for the snowy sections
        of the PCT.

        I've previously been a tester for Tubbs Snowshoes (headquartered here
        in Stowe) so I'm familiar with typical testing requirements. Also,
        I've previously hiked the AT and Vermont's Long Trail.

        If my background and circumstances seem appropriate, please contact
        me at rick@... (802-253-8544).

        Rick Hubbard a/k/a "Newsman"

      • rickhubbard2001@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
          Hello,

          I might be able to help. I'm a 59 year old Vermonter planning to hike
          about 1100 miles on the PCT from May 10th thru August 7th. (Campo to
          Donner Pass).

          I need to equip for steep snow (if needed). I now live in Stowe, VT
          and we're having the best winter in many years. Thus we'll have snow
          to test on for many weeks, just out my door. If it fits for you, I'd
          be happy to test the system first here in Stowe, and if it seems
          satisfactory, I'd be happy to bring it with me for the snowy sections
          of the PCT.

          I've previously been a tester for Tubbs Snowshoes (headquartered here
          in Stowe) so I'm familiar with typical testing requirements. Also,
          I've previously hiked the AT and Vermont's Long Trail.

          If my background and circumstances seem appropriate, please contact
          me at rick@... (802-253-8544).

          Rick Hubbard a/k/a "Newsman"

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Earl Needham <kd5xb@a...> wrote:
          > At 05:11 PM 3/1/01 -0700, Gear Tester blasted the following out
          into the ether:
          > >Kahtoola is ready to ship their traction system by March 15. You
          can see
          > >them at
          http://www.kahtoola.com/html/index.html>http://www.kahtoola.com/html/i
          ndex
          > >.html . They are very light weight hiking crampons. We have 5 to
          test. If
          > >you have already posted a request to test you don't need to do it
          again.
          > >These should be very handy on the PCT.
          > >Jerry
          > >BackpackGearTest

        • Timothy Scott
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
            Jerry,

            I would like to be considered for this test now, as the shipping date have been
            moved up a month. I live in NH and I have been hiking in the Whites all winter
            long. While the Kahtoola webiste was not that informative about the product, I
            made some deductions from the pictures that they provided.

            First, these are not "aggressive" crampons, but rather what look to be a hybrid
            between instep and 10 pointers. Second is that they are flexible, the property
            that really interests me. Most days hiking in the Whites are too cold for me to
            wear my standard leather boots, especially above treeline. I could wear a Sorel
            to other such insulated boot, but they are too flexible for standard 10 or 12
            point crampons. Instead, I have to wear plastic boots which, while extremly
            warm, are not terribly comfortable.

            I think that with the Kahtoola crampons, I could wear my insulated Columbia
            boots on most winter day hikes, and not have to worry about the crampons
            breaking since these are flexible. This is my main interest in the product.

            -Tim Scott

            =====
            "He who climbs upon highest mountains laughs at all tragedies,
            real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche,
            Thus Spake Zarathustra

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Larry Hillberg
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001

              Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 4:11 PM
              Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Last call for Kahtoola

              Kahtoola is ready to ship their traction system by March 15.

              Hi Jerry
              I'd love to be considered for this test since the shipping dates have been moved up.  I could test them in the Northern Sierra around Granite Chief as soon as they arrived and then again in early June in the Southern Sierra around Whitney.  I would try them with running shoes and low top hiking boots that are not designed for full crampons.  At 17oz. they sound ideal for long distance, lightweight packing.
              Helen
            • Rick Dreher
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
                Jerry,

                Please add my name to the Kahtoola test candidate hopper. I would test them
                in two different situations: late season snowshoeing (when the Sierra snow
                conditions range from fluff to ice during the day, requiring taking the
                snowshows on and off intermittantly) and for early season day hikes &/or
                overnights (when crossing steep icy snowfields is commonplace). All testing
                would be in the northern Sierra.

                Do you have an idea of how long the test period might be (how far into the
                season)?

                I'd use them with both lightweight running-shoe style footware (with very
                flexible soles that I use for snowshoeing) and more typical hiking boots
                (stiffer, heavier soles).

                I agree to all reporting requirements.

                Regards,

                --Rick Dreher

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
                  Hi,

                  I would like to be considered as a tester for this product. I am
                  starting from the north end of the CDT this year and have been
                  looking for lightweight traction alternatives. This looks like a
                  good possibility. For now, my training hikes are in the bluffs along
                  the Missouri River in South Dakota. Snowshoes have been the rule
                  this winter, but as spring progresses and the snowpacks ice up, I
                  will be able to give these a thorough test. I have not tested before
                  but am familiar with the process. Thanks!

                  Bruce Vander Lee

                  can see them at http://www.kahtoola.com/html/index.html . They are
                  very light weight hiking crampons. We have 5 to test. If you have
                  already posted a request to test you don't need to do it again. These
                  should be very handy on the PCT.
                  > Jerry
                  > BackpackGearTest
                • Justin Vlietstra
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001
                    I'd like to test the crampons. I'll be hiking up in the adirondacks
                    this weekend, and the following weekend (17th) as well as one or two
                    weekends in april. I'll also do a few local dayhikes in april (I hike
                    most weekends year-round) that may or may not have snow. I've been up
                    in the adirondacks the last couple weekends and there is a lot of snow
                    on top of the high peaks. It will be around until June. It is probably
                    the same in the white mountains. Anyway, I can compare them to my
                    Stubai Ultralight aluminum crampons and a couple pairs of instep
                    crampons for walking on packed snow and ice. I'm particularly
                    interested in finding out if they work on an alternating mix of snow,
                    ice, frozen dirt, and mud. Most full size crampons are not good on dirt
                    patches and insteps are bad on steeper ice.
                  • Gear Tester
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Sorry....the addresses are already sent....
                      Jerry
                      Hi Jerry, If It isn't too late I also would like to try the crampons.  Today it is snowing heavily, we already have over 14 inches of snow and are expecting over two feet!!  Looks like there will be plenty of snow on the peaks for a while.  Am winter camping for 4 days, march 25 th through 29th. in the crane mountain area.  Am also planning on camping for 4 more days April 5 through 9 in the saranac lake region. Intend to hike high peaks extensively during April and will be doing a lot of smaller mountains and many trails in the next several weeks.  Am trying to get in as much hiking as possible before bug season/mud season.  Mike

                    • Michael Tocci
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001