Schrade SH3 "Firebird" Lightweight Lockback Preliminary Report

  • Chad F Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
      Subject: Schrade SH3 "Firebird" Lightweight Lockback
      Preliminary Report
      Submitted by: Chad F. Williams
      Date: March 1, 2001

      I received my Schrade Firebird lightweight lockback
      knife via UPS last night. The first thing that caught
      my attention is the handle. It is made of a material
      called Zytel, which is a nylon resin made by DuPont.
      It is obvious that this material is responsible for
      the lightweight properties of the knife. Since this
      is a "first impression" report, I must admit that I am
      skeptical about the handle's strength, as I have never
      owned or known anyone who owned anything made of this
      material. To me it looks like plastic. I feel that
      the blade may have too much play, which I attribute to
      the handle's construction. I like the size of the
      knife. Not that I am trying to conceal the knife, but
      when you put it in your front pocket you can hardly
      tell it's there, much less anyone else seeing it. I
      was concerned that a small backpacking knife would not
      fit well in my rather large hands, but it fits
      surprisingly well. The specs on this knife are as
      follows:

      Length closed - 3-3/4"
      Length opened - 6-5/8"
      Weight - 1.40 oz

      The blade marked with a "Schrade+" tang which
      indicates that it is made of high carbon stainless
      steel which is resistant to rust, stain, and
      corrosion.

      I look forward to taking this knife with me on my
      central Louisiana camping trip this weekend.

      =====
      Chad Williams - Theta Rho #010
      Homepage: http://users.ev1.net/~chadwilliams/
      e-mail: Kimchad97@...
      s-mail: 4818 Roserock Ln.
      Spring, TX 77388-4339
      phone: (281)528-0415

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • cstarnes@nehp.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
        > I received my Schrade Firebird lightweight lockback
        > knife via UPS last night. The first thing that caught
        > my attention is the handle. It is made of a material
        > called Zytel, which is a nylon resin made by DuPont.
        > It is obvious that this material is responsible for
        > the lightweight properties of the knife. Since this
        > is a "first impression" report, I must admit that I am
        > skeptical about the handle's strength, as I have never
        > owned or known anyone who owned anything made of this
        > material. To me it looks like plastic. I feel that
        > the blade may have too much play, which I attribute to
        > the handle's construction.
        Chad
        I think about 90% of the knife makers out there use Zytel for the
        handel material. I have Gerber, Buck, Old Timmer, Uncle Hennry and
        Tree Brand knives and all have Zytel handels. A lot cheaper than
        traditional bone handels. The Uncle Hennery looks like bone though.
        Good luck with your knife testing.

        Coy Boy
      • cstarnes@nehp.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., cstarnes@n... wrote:
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Chad F Williams <kimchad97@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Subject: Schrade SH3 "Firebird" Lightweight Lockback
          > > Preliminary Report
          > > Submitted by: Chad F. Williams
          > > Date: March 1, 2001
          > >

          > > I received my Schrade Firebird lightweight lockback
          > > knife via UPS last night. The first thing that caught
          > > my attention is the handle. It is made of a material
          > > called Zytel, which is a nylon resin made by DuPont.
          > > It is obvious that this material is responsible for
          > > the lightweight properties of the knife. Since this
          > > is a "first impression" report, I must admit that I am
          > > skeptical about the handle's strength, as I have never
          > > owned or known anyone who owned anything made of this
          > > material. To me it looks like plastic. I feel that
          > > the blade may have too much play, which I attribute to
          > > the handle's construction.
          > Chad
          > I think about 90% of the knife makers out there use Zytel for the
          > handel material. I have Gerber, Buck, Old Timmer, Uncle Hennry and
          > Tree Brand knives and all have Zytel handels. A lot cheaper than
          > traditional bone handels. The Uncle Hennery looks like bone though.
          > Good luck with your knife testing.
          >
          > Coy Boy

          Chad I owe you an apolagie. Zytel is not as common as I thought. I
          did a little research an found the handel materials on a few of my
          knives. The gerber e-z out has Kraton, My buck personal has phenolic,
          crosslock and 2 bucklites have thermoplastic, oldtimer mustang has
          derlin, uncle henrey has staglone and the 2 tree brand are like the
          uncle henrey. I think most may be essentially the same thing but with
          each companies trade name. The gerber is more like rubber than the
          orhers. Will try to keep my foot out of my mouth.

          Coy Boy