83030Re: [BackpackGearTest] OR- Big Agnes Pumphouse sack- Nancy Griffith

  • William Liobo
    Aug 20 7:34 PM

      Seriously. Take me off the list.

      On Aug 20, 2014 10:23 PM, "Nancy Griffith bkpkrgirl@... [BackpackGearTest]" <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello Editors,

      In answer to the August call, I've posted an OR to the test folder.

      Thanks for providing the edits.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/jwje2tn

      BIG AGNES PUMPHOUSE DRY SACK
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      August 20, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with a canoeing/camping group which made a 10-day voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have hiked all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a few weeks long. Over the past few years I have lowered my pack weight to a light-weight base weight of 15 lb (6.8 kg) and use a tent, stove and quilt.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Pumphouse">>Manufacturer: Big Agnes, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.bigagnes.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.bigagnes.com">>
      MSRP: $19.95 US
      Listed Weight: 1.5 oz (42 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.6 oz (45 g)
      Color Reviewed: Black
      Also Available in Terra Cotta

      The Big Agnes Pumphouse sack is a multi-use dry sack and sleeping pad pump made of a lightweight Cordura fabric to resist abrasion, tears and scratches. It can also be used as a shower, a pillow or a water carrier. The size is similar to a small or medium stuff sack of other brands that I own. Dimensions are 19.5 in (49.5 cm) long with a 12 in (30.5 cm) opening tapering to 8 in (20.3 cm) at the bottom. The top has a dry-bag type of roll-top closure with a buckle to secure it. There is a nozzle shaped section on the bottom with a drawstring closure and cord-lock. This is the section that fits over the valve on my sleeping pad.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "in use">>Now, I like gear that has multiple uses! Although I have to admit that I haven't used it as a shower or water carrier since I don't want to worry about it being wet when I need to load in clothing. I did, however, turn it inside out, fill it with water and hang it over my kitchen sink to see how well it would hold just to give me confidence that it would keep my clothing dry. I don't use pack covers or pack liners but rather prefer to keep my clothing in one dry sack and my quilt in another. This way I keep my critical items dry without the hassle and weight of other rain protection options. The Pumphouse has done well to keep our clothing dry in my pack.

      I use the Pumphouse as a dry sack to carry all of the extra clothing for me and my husband. We can easily fit our down jackets, extra socks and undergarments, sleeping clothes and pillows. I usually store raingear elsewhere in our packs so that it is easily accessible but at times it goes in here too since there usually is plenty of room. The size is pretty much perfect for us since I can fit inside of it both of our clothing needs even for colder trips. But for shorter or warmer trips, the sack isn't so oversized that it feels excessive. I can always roll the top down to fit the load just right and expel any excess air. The loaded sack makes a solid base for packing my backpack and so it ends up on the bottom.

      Then when we get to camp, the Pumphouse comes out along with all of its contents so that our down jackets can fluff up and to divide our clothing onto the correct sides of the tent for finding it later when we're tired. I then usually use the Pumphouse to inflate my sleeping pad. It takes longer for me to use the Pumphouse to inflate my pad than it takes for me to blow it up and certainly longer than it takes my husband to blow it up, but I still find it to be useful. At higher elevations I get headaches and nausea and blowing up a pad seems to trigger problems even if I was previously feeling fine. My husband often blows mine up for me but I can always use the Pumphouse to save my head.

      To inflate a pad I simply open the drawstring and place the nozzle over the opened sleeping pad valve and then cinch it down. The stuff sack is now secure to the pad so I can move things around without it falling off. I then open the large end of the stuff sack and try to trap as much air inside as I can. Then I roll the end enough to close it and push out the air into my pad. It takes 15 -20 of these actions depending on which pad I am using and how good I am at trapping a lot of air. I don't really mind doing it so I haven't made it a goal to reduce this number although I'm sure it could be done quicker with a better technique.

      We usually backpack in areas where bear canisters are required and we often take them even when they aren't required just to keep the bears safe and to keep the rodents out of our food. However, there have been trips where we don't carry a canister at which times we use the multi-purpose Pumphouse to hang our food overnight.

      Durability has been great with the sack still looking and working like new. There have been no issues with wear, abrasions or tearing despite use on at least 15 backpacking trips for a total of over 70 days. I can't recall washing it, but I'm sure that I have hand-washed it at some time. Regardless, there is no odor and it doesn't appear to be dirty.

      Overall I really like the Pumphouse and take it on nearly every trip. Actually, I can't think of a trip where I haven't taken it since I got it in 2012.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I really like the Pumphouse and take it on nearly every trip. Actually, I can't think of a trip where I haven't taken it since I got it in 2012.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light weight
      Don't have to blow up my sleeping pad
      No moisture in my pad (from breath)
      Multi-purpose
      Keeps my clothing dry
      Perfect size

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Takes longer to inflate pad than by blowing up

      SIGNATURE

      Nancy Griffith

      Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic