82727REVISED - OR - Thorlo LTH LIGHT HIKING SOCK - Shawn Mansfield

  • Shawn Mansfield
    Apr 9, 2014
      Here is my revised review of the Thorlo LTH LIGHT HIKING SOCK.  And the HTML file may be found at  http://tinyurl.com/oyme5xq.

      Thanks in advance.

      Shawn

      THORLO LTH LIGHT HIKING SOCK
      BY SHAWN L. MANSFIELD
      OR
      April 03, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Shawn L. Mansfield
      EMAIL: shawn PERIOD mansfield AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 42
      LOCATION: Cincinnati, Ohio
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      I never officially hiked as a kid but spent most of my childhood outside.  As my older son has advanced from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts, I'm moving up to backpacking after several years of car camping and hiking.  I have a bunch of old (but well-maintained) camping equipment so I am slowly upgrading all of my equipment to lighter modern versions I can use backpacking.  I want to backpack at least once a month with the goal to take week-long trips to the Appalachians in the summer as my boys get old enough to go with me.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Thorlo, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.thorlo.com" LINK TEXT = "www.thorlo.com">>
      MSRP: US$17.99
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 g)
      Other details:  Navy Heather
      Other Colors Available:  Walnut Heather
      Size: Men's 9 - 12.5
      Other Sizes Available: Men's 5.5 - 8.5, and Men's 13 - 15

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Manufacturer's image">>

      Measured Dimensions:
           Length from toes to heel:  10" (25 cm)
           Height from heel to top of sock:  11" (28 cm)
           Width of sock above ankle:  3" (8 cm)
           Width of sock in arch:  3" (8 cm)

      These socks have a fabric composition of: 62% COOLMAX, 19% THORLON Acrylic, 14% stretch nylon, 5% Spandex

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      <i>Product Construction</i>

      The socks are similar to others made by Thorlo but are made specifically for warm or hot climates as the sock incorporates a large percentage of COOLMAX fibers.  COOLMAX is a polyester material that has an oblong cross-section (vs. typical cylindrical cross-section) and has channels along the fiber that uses capillary action to pull moisture away from the skin.  The removal of moisture effectively pulls away heat and cools down the surface of the skin (aided by evaporative cooling).

      The socks provide high-performance comfort and support by adding moderate cushioning in the heels and balls of the feet and low cushioning in the instep.  The cushioning is a combination of THORLON and cotton.  THORLON is a specially designed yarn that does not compress in moist environments (vs. cotton) and continues to provide cushioning.  Spandex and stretch nylon provides a snug fit in arch, heel, and calf region.  THORLON also helps provide durability.

      <i>Product Appearance and Feel</i>

      The socks appear to be made up of  several panels which I assume is different ratios of the fibers used make up the sock.  The panels look different in the weave pattern.  There are slightly different colors that vary from dark blue to grey.

      The most noticeable color is the two dark blue panels that run along the top left and top right of the sock from just below the toe box to the calf portion of the sock.  From the website, these may be the ventilation panels to help wick moisture from the foot.  The calf portion of the sock appears to be the same color and possibly the same material as the ventilation panels.

      There is another panel that appears to wrap around the instep and arch, approximately 2" (5 cm) in width.  It also has thinner fabric in this area.  This area is the same color as the remainder of the sock, but slightly different weave.  When I put the sock on, the sock feels snugger in this area, so it seems to have a little more support in this area.

      The toe box and ankle area appear to have thicker fabric, which I assume is to provide these areas more cushioning.  When I put the sock on, the sock doesn't feel as snug in these areas, and feels a little softer.    The color is the same as the instep but lighter than the darker panels.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS

      <i>Summary</i>

      I've used these socks for about two years in all my hiking, backpacking, and camping trips.  The trips are a combination of 1 to 2 day camping trips along with day hikes.  I used them hiking on flat to moderately hilly trails, from 500 - 900 ft (152 - 274 m).

      <i>Trips Using Product</i>

      Camping Trip, October 12-14, 2012
      Location: CubWorld  (Dan Beard Council Scout Camp, Loveland, Ohio)
      Total Distance Hiked:  ~10 miles (16 km)
      Weather: Mostly sunny, mild winds
      Temperatures: 40 to 74 F (4 to 23 C)

      Camping Trip, April 27-28, 2013
      Location: Camp Craig (Dan Beard Council Scout Camp, Loveland, Ohio)
      Total Distance Hiked:  ~5 miles (8 km)
      Weather: Mostly sunny, mild winds
      Temperatures: 35 to 62 F (2 to 17 C)

      Camping Trip, May 17-19, 2013
      Location:  Camp Friedlander (Dan Beard Council Scout Camp, Loveland, Ohio)
      Total Distance Hiked:  ~10 miles (16 km)
      Weather: Hot and humid, with periods of rain
      Temperatures: 56 to 83 F (13 to 28 C)

      Camping Trip, October 12-13, 2013
      Location: Twin Creek MetroPark, Germantown, Ohio
      Total Distance:  ~5 miles (8 km)
      Weather: Mostly sunny, mild winds (especially calm below treeline)
      Temperatures: 52 to 79 F (11 to 26 C)

      Camping Trip, March 14-16, 2014
      Location:  Possum Run Youth Camp, Winton Woods Park, Cincinnati, Ohio
      Total Distance Hiked:  ~6 miles (10 km)
      Weather: Sunny, rainy, windy
      Temperatures:  27 to 62 F (-3 to 17 C)

      FIELD USE RESULTS

      I purchased the hiking socks to wear in mid-calf height hiking books, to prevent the top of the boots from rubbing my calves.  I was looking for a breathable sock that was comfortable.  My feet do get sweaty, so I need a breathable fabric so foot odor is not noticeable.  At home, I wear socks around the house without slippers, so I am pretty tough on socks and quickly develop holes in the heels.  So durability would be a bonus, but not required if the sock is comfortable and breathable.   The sock seemed ideal, but the price point is outside my typical range.  I have several running friends who swear by Thorlo so I gave the socks a try.

      The socks have greatly exceeded my expectations and, after 2 years, are still going strong.  They are the socks I always take when I hike or backpack, and I always start the trip with them on.  The socks have kept my feet dry and warm in spite of being in a waterproof hiking boot in hot and wet environments.  The socks never feel wet in the boot, but when I take my boots off, regardless of socks worn my feet feel lightly damp, but with these socks within 10 minutes they feel dry.  I have never noticed foot odor in the socks, even after wearing for 18 - 24 hours.  Even after 2 years of use, there is no holes or even noticeable wear spots on the heels.

      Even after multiple washings (~1/week for 2 years), the socks maintain their color, size, and fit.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1.  Cool
      2.  Comfortable
      3.  Durable

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1.  Expensive (even though I've purchased another one)

      SUMMARY

      The Thorlo LTH Light Hiking Sock is cool, comfortable, and very durable.  Once they have been laundered, I almost always pick them to wear, for all my outdoor activities, or even around the house as a slipper.  They're pretty expensive (to me), but worth it based on current durability, since I've recently purchased another pair.

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic