82426Thank you Steven K - RE: OR--HAWK VITTLES

  • chcoa
    Oct 15, 2013

      If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

      Editors Team Director

      ---In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, <backpackgeartest@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Editors,

      Here's a short little OR on some yummy grub.  Tell me how to make it better! ...the report not the vittles...

      ~SMK

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/oqmu2

      or

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR-HAWK%20VITTLES-STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      HAWK VITTLES
      BY STEVEN M KIDD
      OR
      October 06, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Steven M Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 173 lb (78.50 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 30 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last several years I have become a hammock camping enthusiast. I generally go on one or two night outings that cover between 5 to 20 mi (8 - 32 km) distances.  I try to keep the all-inclusive weight of my pack under 20 lb (9 kg) even in the winter.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Image Courtesy HawK VittleS">>

      Manufacturer: HawK VittleS
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://hawkvittles.com">>
      MSRP: US $5.95 - $14.95
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: Single Serving sizes average 4.4 - 5.1 oz (125 - 145 g)

      HawK VittleS are dehydrated meals for outdoor related activities.  They are made by a retired professional chef named William Redhawk.  The marketing tagline states that; "It Ain't Your Daddy's Trail Food".

      The website is fairly simple with no frills and makes the following statement:  "HawK VittleS are homemade GOURMET meals that are packed with carbohydrates and protein to fuel you up for all those activities you enjoy so much. Not only are HawK VittleS delicious, the portions are generous. When we say double serving, we mean it satisfies two people with big appetites. HawK VittleS are made with the freshest ingredients whenever possible. There are no artificial flavorings or preservatives used in their preparation. Nor do they contain a lot of sodium to enhance their flavor."

      When reading the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of the website he clarifies that he uses natural ingredients as often as possible and the meals are not loaded with sodium to enhance flavor.  He doesn't use preservatives or artificial ingredients and offers completely vegetarian ingredients for those who prefer the option.

      FIELD USE

      I've used dehydrated meals for several years as a way to lighten my pack weight on the trail.  The main drawback I have with the major brands offered is their sodium content.  After several days on the trail, sodium build up has often caused my wedding band to feel as if it's constricting blood flow.

      A friend suggested HawK VittleS to me a little over a year ago.  The meals are available in single and double portions, and marketed to feed exactly that; a single for one person and a double for two.  I have a pretty healthy appetite after spending an entire day on the trail and typically eat the better part of a double portion when purchasing most major brands.  I'm happy to report that I only need a single portion with these meals!

      I find them tasty and full of flavor.  I haven't tried a meal that I disliked to date.  I haven't attempted a vegetarian meal.  TVP, or textured vegetarian protein, simply didn't sound extremely appetizing to me, but I have tried the Moroccan Stew that contains no meat.  It has beef stock, but his vegetarian meals use only vegetable stock.

      I've used the meals for up to four days on the trail eating between two and three meals per day with no noticeable sodium build up.  The average meal take between 15 - 20 minutes to rehydrate as noted on the packaging.  On occasion when in a hurry or nearly ready to eat my own fist I've began eating a meal a few minutes early without major concern or crunchiness.
      The packaging also gives the nutritional information for each meal. I find this helpful if I'm looking for a higher calorie meal after a long day on the trail or even a little lower calorie version if I have time to stop for a hot lunch.

      You can email him concerning items and specific requests and he does large orders for agendas like thru-hikes or drop shipments.  I made an order and accidentally ordered two of the same item.  I emailed him requesting, but not expecting an order change and he was happy to accommodate my wishes.  He's what I consider a cottage vendor and the customer service shows.

      SUMMARY

      I've been very happy with HawK VittleS.  I really can't think of any concerns with any of his meals.  Possibly they could be a little spicier, but this is coming from a guy that adds hot sauce to everything!  As I enjoy a moderate amount of spice in my food, I really enjoyed the Hot Italian Sausage & Pasta!

      I learned about these meals from a friend and I enjoy them enough that I'd suggest them to anyone looking for a quality dehydrated meal.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic